Bellefonte weighs rule changes for bed and breakfasts - INN the news 01.06.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many on this forum have emergency lighting?
I bet not many..
We have the plug in emergency lighting from Lowes. I like them as we and the guests can flip them on at night for night lights too.
Our rooms are in a wing off the main building ground level so the only ones upstairs are us in our loft apartment.
Then again, our County rep made Chris separate the fire alarms etc. between the wing and the house before he would give us our license.
And then behind him the fire chief made him go and run a wire to reconnect the wing and the main house as he would not approve us unless the alarms are all connected.
Typical of this county....
RIki
Riki, I think most areas are more similar than we ever guessed. It appears the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in our area as well. When we went through the process 10 years ago (and I don't think it has changed) there were no steps to follow. We went to one office only to be told no you need to this first, then told another step at the next place.
Before we had the Fire inspection we were told from some friends not to have everything perfect as the inspector HAS to find something you need to do to comply...we left a couple of things undone. They came in and listed 1 of the 2 and one other, luckly minor, items to correct before granting us the license. They just have to justify their job and make it important. They know that without their blessing you have no business so they know they have got you by the
potty-mouth.gif
. You complain and they will make it even tougher.
We've found something similar...when we first met all of the inspectors who came thru here, we asked for their advice. Rather than fold our arms and get huffy, we said, 'What do you suggest? How would you handle this?' And we found they all left without saying we had to fix anything.
And we've seen the opposite happen. One place did whatever they felt like doing, without permits or permission, and they had more trouble, work stop notices filed, law suits, etc.

I bet not many..
We have the plug in emergency lighting from Lowes. I like them as we and the guests can flip them on at night for night lights too.
Our rooms are in a wing off the main building ground level so the only ones upstairs are us in our loft apartment.
Then again, our County rep made Chris separate the fire alarms etc. between the wing and the house before he would give us our license.
And then behind him the fire chief made him go and run a wire to reconnect the wing and the main house as he would not approve us unless the alarms are all connected.
RIki
Riki, I think most areas are more similar than we ever guessed. It appears the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in our area as well. When we went through the process 10 years ago (and I don't think it has changed) there were no steps to follow. We went to one office only to be told no you need to this first, then told another step at the next place.
Before we had the Fire inspection we were told from some friends not to have everything perfect as the inspector HAS to find something you need to do to comply...we left a couple of things undone. They came in and listed 1 of the 2 and one other, luckly minor, items to correct before granting us the license. They just have to justify their job and make it important. They know that without their blessing you have no business so they know they have got you by the
potty-mouth.gif
We've found something similar...when we first met all of the inspectors who came thru here, we asked for their advice. Rather than fold our arms and get huffy, we said, 'What do you suggest? How would you handle this?' And we found they all left without saying we had to fix anything.
And we've seen the opposite happen. One place did whatever they felt like doing, without permits or permission, and they had more trouble, work stop notices filed, law suits, etc.
Bree, that was my approach. I always asked what they wanted, etc. and it still did not work as one department tells you to do one thing, and the other another. The Building county bigwig told us how to connect our wing to the main building and then the Zoning Inspector would not approve it. The county told us to separate the wing fire extinguishers from the main house to get approved and the fire marshall made Chris run a wire to connect them all before he would approve it.
There is a reason that many businesses are moving just outside our County here.
Riki

I bet not many..
RIki
potty-mouth.gif
Bree, that was my approach. I always asked what they wanted, etc. and it still did not work as one department tells you to do one thing, and the other another. The Building county bigwig told us how to connect our wing to the main building and then the Zoning Inspector would not approve it. The county told us to separate the wing fire extinguishers from the main house to get approved and the fire marshall made Chris run a wire to connect them all before he would approve it.
Riki
I guess we're lucky here, in a way. It's a small group who handle the logistics. Altho their standards are tougher than the state's, they all seem to talk with each other! The electrical inspector talks to the building inspector who talks to the fire inspector and they all talk to the businesses.
I think a reason the B&B's were allowed to put up satellite dishes (new last year) was because we all asked politely and explained the reasoning. No one yelled or pounded fists, we just asked. The ordinance guy thought it over and determined that the dishes were 'non permanent' structures so it was ok. I would bet if anyone yelled at him, tho, he wouldn't have come to the same conclusion. His only request was that we all try to make them 'disappear' if we could.

I bet not many..
RIki
potty-mouth.gif
Riki
I guess we're lucky here, in a way. It's a small group who handle the logistics. Altho their standards are tougher than the state's, they all seem to talk with each other! The electrical inspector talks to the building inspector who talks to the fire inspector and they all talk to the businesses.
I think a reason the B&B's were allowed to put up satellite dishes (new last year) was because we all asked politely and explained the reasoning. No one yelled or pounded fists, we just asked. The ordinance guy thought it over and determined that the dishes were 'non permanent' structures so it was ok. I would bet if anyone yelled at him, tho, he wouldn't have come to the same conclusion. His only request was that we all try to make them 'disappear' if we could.
Seems like here the more polite and attentive I am the more they jerk me around.
And then the same dept (zoning) allows a developer to build the 27 room "B&B" and 36 unit apt building in a location that is not zoned for it, and in the middle of a nightmare traffic-wise already....
Riki

I bet not many..
RIki
potty-mouth.gif
Riki
Seems like here the more polite and attentive I am the more they jerk me around.
And then the same dept (zoning) allows a developer to build the 27 room "B&B" and 36 unit apt building in a location that is not zoned for it, and in the middle of a nightmare traffic-wise already....
Riki
Therein lies your problem - send Chris. The "little woman" does not know anything and can be jerked around. Your only weapon in that situation is to disolve intot ears sobbing I have tried to do everything you asked and I just do not know what I am going to do...... boohoooo, sob, sob.

I bet not many..
RIki
potty-mouth.gif
Riki
Riki
Therein lies your problem - send Chris. The "little woman" does not know anything and can be jerked around. Your only weapon in that situation is to disolve intot ears sobbing I have tried to do everything you asked and I just do not know what I am going to do...... boohoooo, sob, sob.
Gillum- yes this is STILL a man's world with the 'good ole boy' attitudes.

I bet not many..
RIki
potty-mouth.gif
Riki
Riki
Chris won't go. He'll get mad. Especially after our sign fiasco. BUT now I have my license when I tackle doing the other wing I can be a little more assertive (ie "oh really? Can you show me where that is in writing?")
I gave in to everything last year just to get my license.
RIki

Back