Best Beds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamelon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm so thrilled to be joining you all here! I'm working to open my b&b this coming summer. Very exciting, scary and so much to know and learn. Glad there's a resource like this.
Questions: what do you think is the best mattress under $1000 for a b&b? Do you have queens or kings? Have you had success pushing together two twins to make a king as needed??
Thank you!
Tamara

Go with as many kings as you can. Our most asked for rooms have either a king or canopy queen.
Go with firm mattresses since they hold up better, you can always add a topper to soften one. Remember mattress protectors. You don't want a memory foam mattress!
My sister and her husband spent a weekend on two singles pushed together at a friend's house. They said it was miserable with the crack, railings, and the sheets didn't fit well.

If you can fit kings, get them. I have found the best deal is if you buy local. I have the mattresses made locally and they are very responsive if there are problems.
What you will find is that the same mattress is on sale in 5 different stores for 5 different prices.
So, find something you would want to sleep on! Get firm mattresses that are flippable. Don't get memory foam, use toppers if you want that feel.
Always use mattress protectors that also block bed bugs.

From experience I can tell you to go as big as you can with the space available.
I can also tell you to go flippable. The mattress and box springs on the queen bed that now resides where a full used to be is original to the opening of my B & B in 1996 AND was in the most used room as it for 10 years was the only queen and then for a few more years was the queen with private bathroom. It is still remarked upon as a very comfortable bed. The mattress is a pillowtop that can be flipped. And was - regularly. I have increased the "fluffiness" as it were in the mattress protector on it, but that is all. I do not expect my other mattresses to give that good service since neither of them can be flipped, only turned. That original mattress was made in a city in my State that I thought was no longer in business but I have reason to believe now that is untrue. When the time comes to replace the ones now upstairs, I will delve deeper in that regard. I believe in loval being best.

Will only add that a good mattress also needs a good foundation (aka the box "spring"); some mattress manufacturers will not honor the warranty if the mattress is not on their foundation.
As your mattresses age, if they start to sag or generate other complaints, the problem might not be the mattress alone -- check what's underneath it as well! There is little point in getting new mattresses if you are just going to put them on top of an old and inadequate foundation.

Go with as many kings as you can. Our most asked for rooms have either a king or canopy queen.
Go with firm mattresses since they hold up better, you can always add a topper to soften one. Remember mattress protectors. You don't want a memory foam mattress!
My sister and her husband spent a weekend on two singles pushed together at a friend's house. They said it was miserable with the crack, railings, and the sheets didn't fit well..
see this is the thing you don't seem to have in the USA Zip and Link BEds - with a proper thick zip in the middle and then a topper - people rave about ours (ie no lump or crack problem) just find it weird you guys don't seem to have them especially as we have bought sets from Sealy which I know you have there as a brand
Also you can buy binding kits - outof eden guest house supplies do them but the proper ones are better

Thank you so much, everyone. Will definitely go firm and king where possible, eith a topper.

Back