Best coffee machine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBanczak

Reaction score
Hey gang,
So you all have me motivated to roast my own beans now. Another question - what is the best drip machine you have run across? We had a bunn machine here at BB.com for a long time - pour-over with an airport - and that worked incredibly well. Problem is that in my kitchen at home it would be too tall to fit under the cabinets on my counter-top.
So I bought a Technivorm machine. I like it - but it is only 1.2L capacity.
Does anyone know of a machine that brews into an airpot that isn't so tall?

John, I have the same machine as GAgirl and it does fit under my counter. The downside is that it either sticks way out on the counter, facing it front, or if you turn it sideways, you have to pull it out to add the water. It brews quickly (3 minutes per pot) which is great for the B&B but it does use electrictiy 24/7 to keep the water tower hot. If you turn it off, it will take 15 minutes to heat the water tower prior to you brewing your first pot, what I have done to conserve is buying a 24hr timer and I have it programed to turn on the power about 30 minutes before I need to brew my first pot. It is a 10 cup (1.5 liter), too.
I also have a Mr. Coffee with a 10 cup stainless carafe www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx for my early risers. This termal pot keeps the coffe hot for hours! (longer than the bunn) The brew strength selector feature is a nice too. When I purchased this one I was looking for a 12 cup termal carafe, but did not have any luck.

John, I have the same machine as GAgirl and it does fit under my counter. The downside is that it either sticks way out on the counter, facing it front, or if you turn it sideways, you have to pull it out to add the water. It brews quickly (3 minutes per pot) which is great for the B&B but it does use electrictiy 24/7 to keep the water tower hot. If you turn it off, it will take 15 minutes to heat the water tower prior to you brewing your first pot, what I have done to conserve is buying a 24hr timer and I have it programed to turn on the power about 30 minutes before I need to brew my first pot. It is a 10 cup (1.5 liter), too.
I also have a Mr. Coffee with a 10 cup stainless carafe www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx for my early risers. This termal pot keeps the coffe hot for hours! (longer than the bunn) The brew strength selector feature is a nice too. When I purchased this one I was looking for a 12 cup termal carafe, but did not have any luck..
Copperhead said:
I also have a Mr. Coffee with a 10 cup stainless carafe www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx for my early risers. This termal pot keeps the coffe hot for hours! (longer than the bunn) The brew strength selector feature is a nice too. When I purchased this one I was looking for a 12 cup termal carafe, but did not have any luck.
Wow - it keeps it hot 24hrs/day? Smart thinking on the timer then. I like the looks of that. Are their airpots that fit underneath it or just the carafe? Might have to put that on my list.

I also have a Mr. Coffee with a 10 cup stainless carafe www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx for my early risers. This termal pot keeps the coffe hot for hours! (longer than the bunn) The brew strength selector feature is a nice too. When I purchased this one I was looking for a 12 cup termal carafe, but did not have any luck..
Copperhead said:
Wow - it keeps it hot 24hrs/day? Smart thinking on the timer then. I like the looks of that. Are their airpots that fit underneath it or just the carafe? Might have to put that on my list.
No airpots with this model. The airpot models are (I think) too tall to fit under a kitchen cabinet.
Yes the way the Bunn system works and why they can brew a pot in 3 minutes is because the water tower is a reservoir for preheated (why it stays on) water.

Copperhead said:
No airpots with this model. The airpot models are (I think) too tall to fit under a kitchen cabinet.
Yes the way the Bunn system works and why they can brew a pot in 3 minutes is because the water tower is a reservoir for preheated (why it stays on) water.
Copperhead said:
Makes sense - I always wondered what the magic was there!

Just for your information I have the BX model with the glass carafe. It won't fit on the counter. The top cabinets come down too much. So you might want to measure first. It seems everyone has different counter and cabinet sizes.

A friend was telling me she uses a hot air popcorn popper to roast her coffee beans... it's an older model that has the bottom inside vents - Takes about 5 mins and then best flavor when brewing coffee after 4 hours up to 24 hours later. She does this outside because of the smell/aroma gets all over her house otherwise. Seems like a lot of work after reading about it on this link

A friend was telling me she uses a hot air popcorn popper to roast her coffee beans... it's an older model that has the bottom inside vents - Takes about 5 mins and then best flavor when brewing coffee after 4 hours up to 24 hours later. She does this outside because of the smell/aroma gets all over her house otherwise. Seems like a lot of work after reading about it on this link.
Mine does not smoke and it has the slight scorched toast aroma in the house and that is all. It is not unpleasant. I set the timer between 23 and 26 minutes - the last 5 minutes of any cycle is for "cool down". Not a big deal. Beans in, timer set, and I do whatever in the kitchen until it is done. My coffee taster has improved since I started doing this - I can now tell the differences in coffees.

Back