Best decision you made?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
What has been the best decision you have made since aquiring or opening your inn?
Example - to hire help, to close midweek, to send linens out, to stick to one breakfast time, to allow self checkins etc etc It may be as simple and having a coffee area with timers for guests instead of rising at the crack of dawn and using mini moos instead of a big creamer. Not always time saving ideas, but innkeeper saving ideas!
What decision has it been that you feel really took the edge/the crimp out of your shoulders so you could better enjoy innkeeping?

2 night minimums all the time. Definitely improved the qualiy of life. ;)

Interesting you say that Swirt, I had a lady call and then email pleading for a one night stay on a super busy weekend here. Right now with only two bookings I am tempted, but I won't give in! I WON'T!

The best decision was the kitchen/dining room reno. I STILL love that space, love to look at it and work in it.

The best decision was the kitchen/dining room reno. I STILL love that space, love to look at it and work in it..
Turning the rooms over to a room manager. Number One
Applying, "Attracting Perfect Customers" Number Two
Moving to a sliding scale that drastically reduced one night stays and lengthened our average stay to near our ideal three nights. Number Three

The best decision was the kitchen/dining room reno. I STILL love that space, love to look at it and work in it..
Moving to a sliding scale that drastically reduced one night stays and lengthened our average stay to near our ideal three nights. Number Three
knkbnb said:
Can you tell us more about the sliding scale? How do you promote that so the one night does not feel penalized?

knkbnb said:
Can you tell us more about the sliding scale? How do you promote that so the one night does not feel penalized?
We offer a discount for a three night stay of 20% and a discount of $30 for a two-night stay (comes out to about 12%) and then offer them the option to join us for a single night at our standard rate.That way, we're always promoting the savings benefit they get for staying longer.
We still get some single nights, from folks who aren't price impacted, like what we offer or were recommended, and just have a short time.

I think getting that new cabinet in the kitchen. I have been able to start reorganizing the kitchen so it is not "cluttered". It actually takes up more room that what we had there, but since it has cupboard compartments and gives me counter space, I have the feeling of spaciousness that I did not have before. Now I have to train Himself to not trash it up with HIS stuff (his veggies, his cup, etc) - it is starting the creep and I am going to have to nip it in the bud! It is MINE!

Two night minimum on weekends, all year around
A little "yield management" and a room range of prices instead of just one price for each room.
Taking a big vacation each year

What has been the best decision you have made since aquiring or opening your inn?
What decision has it been that you feel really took the edge/the crimp out of your shoulders so you could better enjoy innkeeping?
The best decision I ever made was ...... BREATHE and ACCEPT ... we may not be like other inns, but that's OK. I always assumed that we were the bottom of the barrel .... I created a huge self-imposed inferiority complex that it felt like a constant weight on my shoulders ... what would THEY do - what should I be doing ....
What I've learnt is to do what feels right - for good or bad ... always be aware of the details ..... really enjoy the ups and don't always blame yourself for the downs. It's the only way we can continue to grow and minimize burn-out.

Installing a custom built laundry shelf across from my washer/dryer with a retractable 4' wide folding table/ironing board.
If I'm going to iron, I might as well be well equipped to do it.
And, learned the hard way, never to ever cave again on my extra person fees if it involves rearranging a room (setting up a sleep sofa).
=)
Kk.

Installing a custom built laundry shelf across from my washer/dryer with a retractable 4' wide folding table/ironing board.
And, learned the hard way, never to ever cave again on my extra person fees if it involves rearranging a room (setting up a sleep sofa).
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks
Could you post a picture of you table/ironing board?
Thanks!

Online reservations
moving breakfast to the veranda all summer long
making our 2 smallest rooms into one nice size suite (suddenly it is renting)
no longer accepting small children

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks
Thanks!
MTLLodge said:
YellowSocks
Thanks!
Yes... I'll do it tomorrow. (Have to go find the camera...)
=)
Kk.

Back