Best mosquito solutions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
I'm looking at Thermacell. (tried to add a link but the site wouldn't let me or I'm site challenged.)
Anyway, it's a plastic lantern with a butane burner and a pad full of repellant. Reviews say it works for camping and hunting.
Would you be worried about fire on a front porch?
Any other solutions?
Thanks.

FWIW, apparently mosquitoes and flies struggle in a breeze. There is something in having a quiet large fan blowing across the porch and blowing them away. Doesn't have to be 25 mph. And it is chemical and odor free and on a warm day, may be appreciated...
Or of course, a "screenhouse."

That's one bonus of where we live. Breeze 24/7. Haven't been bit by one since we moved down here. I vote for the non chemical fan.

FWIW, apparently mosquitoes and flies struggle in a breeze. There is something in having a quiet large fan blowing across the porch and blowing them away. Doesn't have to be 25 mph. And it is chemical and odor free and on a warm day, may be appreciated...
Or of course, a "screenhouse.".
undersea said:
Or of course, a "screenhouse."
NOW you answered my question to why poeple have ceiling fans on porches, as I always thought it would just move the hot air around that was trapped under the porch.
You beauty!

I like the fan idea. It doesn't have to be a ceiling fan if that's not doable.

I don't know, I'd love to hear how Thermacell works. We usually spray our grounds, repeatedly and have bug repellant on hand. We tried a buzapper, waste of money.

I live in the Deep South...mosquitoes are often a challenge. I had our properties commercially sprayed because none of those type of repellents worked. Hated to do it, but had to make the outdoor areas comfortable for the guests.
Porch fans do work well also. If you don't have the electrical to install an overhead fan, you can also use a floor fan.

Do any of the supposedly mosquito repelling plants work?
We have a koi pond full of spoiled fish that won't earn their keep by eating any of the Mosquitos.

We have a koi pond full of spoiled fish that won't earn their keep by eating any of the Mosquitos..
verandasburnet said:
We have a koi pond full of spoiled fish that won't earn their keep by eating any of the Mosquitos.
Koi are no help. LOL
I am planting lavender and cat mint around the porch this summer. I'll let you know.

Serving breakfast this far from land usually works for me. :)
DSCF1486.JPG

Serving breakfast this far from land usually works for me. :)
DSCF1486.JPG
I'm so jealous!!!! Grin! Enjoy your cruise!
Duff2014 said:
Even worse - she lives on that boat.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
Even worse - she lives on that boat.
I figured that out, that's the jealous part....but I would miss land too! My uncle took me sailing last fall and taught me how to run the ship...sigh. I wanna go sailing!
regular_smile.gif

oh, sanctuary ... amazing !
i have heard about running a fan outside ... does it work? a lot of the restaurants have those outdoor butane bug killers on their outside decks. i don't know about safety or how well they work, but we didn't get bit ... so ...

oh, sanctuary ... amazing !
i have heard about running a fan outside ... does it work? a lot of the restaurants have those outdoor butane bug killers on their outside decks. i don't know about safety or how well they work, but we didn't get bit ... so ....
Most porches here in the South have ceiling fans for good reasons - moves the air to help with the heat and keeps the air moving to deter the bugs.

Back