Best of times/worst of times?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to get covid cancellations for fall. One for Labor Day weekend. šŸ™
In the past 10 days, we've had numerous cancellations for September. Thank goodness for this incredible summer that has surpassed our wildest expectations in occupancy and ADR.

Our latest email sold our state's 85%+ vaccination rate as a reason why guests should still come. No cancellations yet.....

Our latest email sold our state's 85%+ vaccination rate as a reason why guests should still come. No cancellations yet.....
Beware! It's mostly been cancellations from further away states for us in Maine, despite being second to VT in transmission: "Despite the surge in cases in recent weeks, Maine has the second-lowest virus prevalence in the country. Maineā€™s rate of 13 cases per 100,000 residents is only beaten by Vermont, at 10.7 cases per 100,000."

food costs are getting crazy! [/QUOTE said:
Yes. Food costs up. Some local restaurants are shut some days due to not getting their deliveries. Supply chain will likely be broken for a long while. Grateful I have no printed menu and can pivot according to what is available at any given time.

Don't be afraid of raising your rates. Tried to book a hotel for a 1-night stay on a trip later this week and the rates for a hotel that used to be around $149 a night is now $260.

Don't be afraid of raising your rates. Tried to book a hotel for a 1-night stay on a trip later this week and the rates for a hotel that used to be around $149 a night is now $260.
Weā€™re having to live in a hotel right now. Tell me about prices! And no long term stay discount, either! Thereā€™s construction going on immediately behind the building and a 4-lane roadway in front. Itā€™s not like weā€™re enjoying our stay.

Realizing that I'm a real rookie here among many veterans! We started our business in WV July 2017. July 2021 was our busiest month ever. We just implemented our first rate hike, increasing nightly rate by $10, for each of our four rooms, so prices now range from $89 - $119. We expect they'll be comments from would-be guests ("Who do you think you are? The Ritz Carlton?!") but, after 4-years, it was time. Just wish we'd done it on July 1.

increasing nightly rate by $10, for each of our four rooms, so prices now range from $89 - $119. We expect they'll be comments from would-be guests ("Who do you think you are? The Ritz Carlton?!") but, after 4-years, it was time. Just wish we'd done it on July 1.

At 3% yearly inflation over 4 years, a $109 room in 2017 would be $122 now. So you're in the neighborhood of where you should be now, but gave up some money by not easing it up 3% each year.

But I did the same as you, a few months ago raised all room rates $10/night for the first time since 2017. It has not made one bit of difference to the guests. I'm still as busy as ever, and nobody has said a word...other than the occasional one who mentions that my place is a great bargain.

It's sad, though, how little extra income those raises produce. A 3% increase brings in an extra few thousand/year, which is of course useful, but it's no windfall, especially when you realize it's just keeping you even with inflation!

True here as well. In June-July 2021 we made almost as much money as we did in June-July 2018 and 2019 together. No wonder I'm tired!
Guest attitudes are about the same ā€“ good. We've always been lucky with the guests I think. 2021, even a little less of what I call "royalty", because I think they're glad to be on the road again.
Covid protocol is turned out not to be a problem because most guests been vaccinated. We're starting to get Sept cancellations because of Delta and we've decided that were pretty much going to require people to be vaccinated because the socially distant protocol is just too much work. I had to do that for a whole damn year.

Back