Best Quote Of The Week

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
We've had 2 people in for 4 nights and they've been a complete PITA. Hanging around the house all day while we're trying to clean, banging about in the mornings disturbing others, hanging the towels up then complaining because we didn't change them......etc etc
They put a whole list of whinges on the in room feedback form most of which could have been avoided if they'd read anything and then at the bottom put "You can't assume that people read the information in the rooms"!!!
Well don't that just take the biscuit, how stupid of me to think people would read the information supplied, maybe I should have gone up and tucked them in and read it to them each night.
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

I've had two feedback forms left in the rooms this morning, one I could frame the other I screwed up and threw in the bin after reading the front, I didn't even look at the reverse.
No prizes for guessing which one I refer to above.

Somehow they were able to locate and read the feedback form! I'm glad these delightful guests are gone. I hope the remainder of your summer is filled with cheerful, literate guests!
P.S. I used to send a "Thank you for your stay... how was everything?" email to my guests, but I received so much ridiculous feedback that I stopped doing it after about a year. "It really would be nice if we could turn on the bathroom light separate from the fan." Well, there's only 1 switch and we don't intend to rip apart that bath's wiring any time soon. "You really should serve guests eggs when you serve a sweet dish." You were here one night! It says on my website that I alternate between egg & sweet dishes. "Some of the B&Bs we've stayed at provided water, soda, cookies, and gift certificates to local restaurants." I'll raise my rates $50 so that I can provide all of that for you.

Somehow they were able to locate and read the feedback form! I'm glad these delightful guests are gone. I hope the remainder of your summer is filled with cheerful, literate guests!
P.S. I used to send a "Thank you for your stay... how was everything?" email to my guests, but I received so much ridiculous feedback that I stopped doing it after about a year. "It really would be nice if we could turn on the bathroom light separate from the fan." Well, there's only 1 switch and we don't intend to rip apart that bath's wiring any time soon. "You really should serve guests eggs when you serve a sweet dish." You were here one night! It says on my website that I alternate between egg & sweet dishes. "Some of the B&Bs we've stayed at provided water, soda, cookies, and gift certificates to local restaurants." I'll raise my rates $50 so that I can provide all of that for you..
I've had all those sorts of things on my feedback forms to, my favourite.......
"Omelette Arnold Bennett would be nice" .... I had to google that one, turns out it's a special omelette that the chef at The Savoy Hotel used to make when Arnold Bennett stayed.

P.S. I used to send a "Thank you for your stay... how was everything?" email to my guests, but I received so much ridiculous feedback that I stopped doing it after about a year. "It really would be nice if we could turn on the bathroom light separate from the fan." Well, there's only 1 switch and we don't intend to rip apart that bath's wiring any time soon. "You really should serve guests eggs when you serve a sweet dish." You were here one night! It says on my website that I alternate between egg & sweet dishes. "Some of the B&Bs we've stayed at provided water, soda, cookies, and gift certificates to local restaurants." I'll raise my rates $50 so that I can provide all of that for you..
notAgrandma said:
I used to send a "Thank you for your stay... how was everything?" email to my guests, but I received so much ridiculous feedback that I stopped doing it after about a year.
Same here. I got suggestions like I should tear out and redesign the driveway that was just put in 2 months before. That I should do something about the mosquitoes, or the rain.
There's only one thing I can do now. Have to go Google "Omelette Arnold Bennett".

OK, looked it up. I'd make one, but with my luck my haddock would be stained, whatever that means.
This recipe for an Arnold Bennett Omelette was developed by the head chef at Gordon Ramsay's Savoy Grill restaurant.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Yield: Serves 2
INGREDIENTS:
- 400ml milk
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 300g smoked haddock (un-stained)
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cheddar cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Chopped chives
- Chopped parsley

Highlands John said:
They put a whole list of whinges on the in room feedback form most of which could have been avoided if they'd read anything and then at the bottom put "You can't assume that people read the information in the rooms"!!!
At the one place we open the room book on the desk etc. So they either have to look at it or shut it to use the space.

I also stopped asking those questions in my thank you email. It was a shot to the heart every time someone responded with how we should do what this other place does.
Why don't we all just unionize and make every b&b the same?
I won't soon forget the guest whose parting shot was, 'you really should replace those pillows, they don't last forever.'
Geez Louise. They weren't that old! If you need a particular shape or density pillow, travel with your own! There are 4 on every bed + 2 shams. Some combo should work!

Highlands John said:
At the one place we open the room book on the desk etc. So they either have to look at it or shut it to use the space..
Lee2014 said:
Highlands John said:
At the one place we open the room book on the desk etc. So they either have to look at it or shut it to use the space.
Our room book is open on the bed! You might think someone would look at it when they move it!

Highlands John said:
maybe I should have gone up and tucked them in and read it to them each night.
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
Oh the mental image that brought on.
omg_smile.gif

I also stopped asking those questions in my thank you email. It was a shot to the heart every time someone responded with how we should do what this other place does.
I won't soon forget the guest whose parting shot was, 'you really should replace those pillows, they don't last forever.'
Geez Louise. They weren't that old! If you need a particular shape or density pillow, travel with your own! There are 4 on every bed + 2 shams. Some combo should work!
Morticia said:
If they want it all the same why not just stay in a T-lodge or P-Inn, that way they can lay in their room and not even know what country they're in, never mind town.
angry_smile.gif

"Omelette Arnold Bennett would be nice" .... I had to google that one, turns out it's a special omelette that the chef at The Savoy Hotel used to make when Arnold Bennett stayed.
Oh, and the other one that drives me absolutely bonkers is "We would have like breakfast earlier" aaaahhhhh.
Why not say something the night before then. It says in the room information and on the notice on the wall if you want an earlier breakfast just ask the night before. I'm not getting up earlier 365 days a year just so I can stand around like a lemon every morning waiting for people to come down just to please 1 person in 20 who'd like it earlier.

Oh, and the other one that drives me absolutely bonkers is "We would have like breakfast earlier" aaaahhhhh.
Why not say something the night before then. It says in the room information and on the notice on the wall if you want an earlier breakfast just ask the night before. I'm not getting up earlier 365 days a year just so I can stand around like a lemon every morning waiting for people to come down just to please 1 person in 20 who'd like it earlier.
We'll go a half hour earlier. More than that is too much. Guests think we roll out of bed and 10 minutes later we're ready to serve breakfast.
One family wanted us to feed them at 5am. When we declined, they trashed the kitchen on their way out the door.

We'll go a half hour earlier. More than that is too much. Guests think we roll out of bed and 10 minutes later we're ready to serve breakfast.
One family wanted us to feed them at 5am. When we declined, they trashed the kitchen on their way out the door.
Morticia said:
Yes, guests seem surprised that I need at least 60 minutes and prefer 90 minutes so I don't feel rushed. I had 1 family book the entire house for graduation. Mom the Travel Coordinator insisted that everyone needed a full breakfast at 7am. I worked late the night before to prepare everything. 2 out of the 10 family members ate full breakfast. The rest said, "We never eat this much food for breakfast." I wanted to strangle the mom.

Morticia said:
If they want it all the same why not just stay in a T-lodge or P-Inn, that way they can lay in their room and not even know what country they're in, never mind town.
angry_smile.gif

The first few years we were in business I asked for suggestions. None really proved helpful so I realized that I really was fishing for compliments.
tounge_smile.gif
Now we just have a comment book in each room so guests who are inclined can write us notes of thanks. I like that much better.
shades_smile.gif

I leave a small dry erase board next to the Welcome book, with a note on it asking them to let me know if something needs fixing, light bulb burned out, etc. And mostly, that's the kind of info they leave there, though occasionally there's a suggestion/complaint.

I leave a small dry erase board next to the Welcome book, with a note on it asking them to let me know if something needs fixing, light bulb burned out, etc. And mostly, that's the kind of info they leave there, though occasionally there's a suggestion/complaint..
WE had to e-mail you to look up!

I leave a small dry erase board next to the Welcome book, with a note on it asking them to let me know if something needs fixing, light bulb burned out, etc. And mostly, that's the kind of info they leave there, though occasionally there's a suggestion/complaint..
gillumhouse said:
:)

Back