Better Business Bureau

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Got a voice mail message from "Kim Mick from the Better Business Bureau", asking that they business owner please call her between 8am-4pm. Kind of freaked me out as I could not imagine what it might be about. The phone number she gave was 888-497-5505 x 117. I found it odd that the caller ID said the call was from an "unknown caller"...have never had that happen before.
I googled that phone number and found out that telemarketers are calling business owners on behalf of the BBB trying to sell the business owner accreditation(sp).
Anyone else had this happen?

Yep. Received a similar call a year ago or so. As near as I could tell, it's pretty much a scam.

I've had the scam calls which say they are the Better Business Organization...definitely a scam.
I've also had the real BBB call and try to get us to join several times. The BBB is a wonderful organization, but totally useless for a B&B. I don't know of a single person who would make a reservation after checking the BBB.

resurfacing this topic again... we were called by the BBB to become members...anyone else members? is it working for you?

Today I had a call from the BBB telling me there has been a complaint against us. This was a legit call...turns out the charge back I went through which the guest LOST has now made a complaint with the BBB. These very "ugly" guests just won't give up. The funny thing is they haven't written an onine review and their reservation was in July. I keep looking though.
I'm not going to stress AT ALL about the BBB complaint. Who in the world would look up a B&B on the BBB before making a reservation? In my opinion, it's a waste of money for our industry. Prospective guests can get all the "dirt" just by looking at TA or BB.com

resurfacing this topic again... we were called by the BBB to become members...anyone else members? is it working for you?.
I have gotten calls in the past but I would not think twice about paying to be a member of the BBB. I have never found them to be helpful in the past. - EVER! I have never received any assistance when I have contacted them regarding a problem with one of their members and I find their policies on how they rate companies a joke. I do not recall the details but if a company recieves too many complaints, they can no longer be a member. - That is it!
And I agree with Diva - who would call the BBB before booking with a B&B?

Today I had a call from the BBB telling me there has been a complaint against us. This was a legit call...turns out the charge back I went through which the guest LOST has now made a complaint with the BBB. These very "ugly" guests just won't give up. The funny thing is they haven't written an onine review and their reservation was in July. I keep looking though.
I'm not going to stress AT ALL about the BBB complaint. Who in the world would look up a B&B on the BBB before making a reservation? In my opinion, it's a waste of money for our industry. Prospective guests can get all the "dirt" just by looking at TA or BB.com.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm not going to stress AT ALL about the BBB complaint. Who in the world would look up a B&B on the BBB before making a reservation? In my opinion, it's a waste of money for our industry. Prospective guests can get all the "dirt" just by looking at TA or BB.com
I agree, who would call them??? I would reply to their call, providing the same info you sent (minus any CC info) to the CC comp. regarding the charge back and tell them that this matter was resolved by the CC company in OUR favor as THEY understand our policies. Since you are not a member of the BBB, they really have no business in YOUR business.
When I called them years ago about a contractor, they told me he was not a member and that they could not (would not?) take a complaint about any non-member as they have no way of assisting to resolve the matter, nor did they keep ratings for non-members. From what I understand (please clarify if I am wrong) each BBB is independant - at least in part, if you want to find out about a business, you must call the BBB in the area the business is located in. At least that is the way it was explained to me years ago - internet etc. may have changed this.

Back