Between seasons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
It's that time of year when we are between seasons. It's not really warm enough for A/C and most nights not really cold enough for the heat. (Altho, we did have a few nights in the 40's where guests were turning the heat on.)
We sally off to clean rooms today and the first one has the A/C on. OK, folks, A/C doesn't work well when it's in the 50's overnight. They were letting it run all day as they are gone until late this evening. This is actually one of our cooler rooms, too. I generally find the heat on in this room well into June.
Run the fan please if you are afraid to open the windows. We have reset the controls to 'fan' for the remainder of their stay.

I would gladly open the windows if I was staying with you and the temps drop at night!! We are soooooooooo thankful here when we don't have to run the A/C at night. (During the warm months here, it doesn't really cool off at night so the A/C runs & runs & runs...)
Do your guests know that their windows open? I'm always tentative about opening windows in older dwellings.
Maybe something to mention on the tour...yeah, yeah, I know...they don't listen!
wink_smile.gif

I would gladly open the windows if I was staying with you and the temps drop at night!! We are soooooooooo thankful here when we don't have to run the A/C at night. (During the warm months here, it doesn't really cool off at night so the A/C runs & runs & runs...)
Do your guests know that their windows open? I'm always tentative about opening windows in older dwellings.
Maybe something to mention on the tour...yeah, yeah, I know...they don't listen!
wink_smile.gif
Right now the tour includes the location of the thermostat if it gets too cold, the location of the A/C unit and that it is also a fan and a cheery, 'Or, just leave the windows open and enjoy the fresh air!'

wink_smile.gif
Right now the tour includes the location of the thermostat if it gets too cold, the location of the A/C unit and that it is also a fan and a cheery, 'Or, just leave the windows open and enjoy the fresh air!'
Well, that would work for me! We were in Denver several weeks ago and it got down in the 50s at night and the windows were open! every single night!

All our rooms are pretty similar in that respect. Last week went to clean one room and they have the fan out of the cupboard, cleaned the room next door and they have all the radiators turned up full (room was like a sauna when you opened the door).
I can't stand a warm bedroom, get those windows open and let the fresh air through. I even have the bedroom window open when there's frost or snow on the ground.

All our rooms are pretty similar in that respect. Last week went to clean one room and they have the fan out of the cupboard, cleaned the room next door and they have all the radiators turned up full (room was like a sauna when you opened the door).
I can't stand a warm bedroom, get those windows open and let the fresh air through. I even have the bedroom window open when there's frost or snow on the ground..
I had my window fan on last night. 51 degrees (that's 10 degrees for you) outside when I got up.

I can't stand a warm bedroom, get those windows open and let the fresh air through. I even have the bedroom window open when there's frost or snow on the ground..
Highlands John said:
I can't stand a warm bedroom, get those windows open and let the fresh air through. I even have the bedroom window open when there's frost or snow on the ground.
Ha! we are out in the country and get guests from "the big cities" like Detroit, Fort Wayne, Chicago, etc. They come up for the quiet and peaceful place. (You might know that our area was voted "The most beautiful place in America" by the viewers of Good Morning America) Anyhooooo, they come in, close the doors, close the windows, close the curtains and there they sit. Blech, I want to take them by the neck and shake them (just to get their attention) Open the dang windows and enjoy the breezes off Lake Michigan you fools. Sleeping in cool rooms is good for you!!

Highlands John said:
Ha! we are out in the country and get guests from "the big cities" like Detroit, Fort Wayne, Chicago, etc. They come up for the quiet and peaceful place. (You might know that our area was voted "The most beautiful place in America" by the viewers of Good Morning America) Anyhooooo, they come in, close the doors, close the windows, close the curtains and there they sit. Blech, I want to take them by the neck and shake them (just to get their attention) Open the dang windows and enjoy the breezes off Lake Michigan you fools. Sleeping in cool rooms is good for you!!
Funny too is that here out in the middle of nowhere, they lock their rooms and cars. Keep rooms closed up.
We are unlocked most of the time and have the windows and doors open.

Highlands John said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Sleeping in cool rooms is good for you!!
Absolutely. All our beds have 14 tog all season feather duvets, so there's no reason not to have a bit of cool, fresh air circulating.

Highlands John said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Sleeping in cool rooms is good for you!!
Absolutely. All our beds have 14 tog all season feather duvets, so there's no reason not to have a bit of cool, fresh air circulating.
Yeah, open the window around here when it's -5c and you will freeze your ___ off, even if you have a feather duvet.
Do it in the summer and you will swelter, even if it's 20c outside at night. (You let the humidity in, which raises the temperature.)
It all needs to come with some rationality.

I know what you mean. We don't turn the gas to the gas fireplace in the cottage on until we take the AC in the bedroom out. Otherwise some guests use the fireplace for the ambiance and run the AC because the fireplace makes the bedroom too hot. That is a total waste as far as I am concerned so we just don't do it.

I know what you mean. We don't turn the gas to the gas fireplace in the cottage on until we take the AC in the bedroom out. Otherwise some guests use the fireplace for the ambiance and run the AC because the fireplace makes the bedroom too hot. That is a total waste as far as I am concerned so we just don't do it..
We do the same thing. But, we always get a couple of days where the fireplace would be nice and guests grumble. Well, they didn't pay for the fireplace so I don't feel really badly about it.
We're still waiting for the parts now that we've switched to nat gas. It's been a few months since we signed the contract. I hope the parts show up in a week or so.

Back