Between the Blankets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Odd....have a very young couple staying for four nights (this is their third). The first morning I fluffed, I notice they did not sleep between the sheets, but rather between the blanket and the quilt, and brought their own yucky wooly thing and had that over the comforter. I assumed that morning that they did not like the texture of our new sheets, which are sort of silky feeling, so I put on a set of nice white cotton sheets.
This morning, I go in to clean, and see that they still didn't use the sheets. In fact, found dirty socks and what not between the blanket and the quilt at the foot of the bed. Now I wonder...do they think my sheets aren't clean? Do they just not use sheets at home?
Has anyone else seen this? Do you think I should ask them about it, or just leave it be? Normally, I let odd things like this just go, but I don't want to sluff it off if they do think something is wrong.

YES! I had it happen two weeks ago. I stood there perplexed as there was no way they re-tucked it the way I did. Also a young couple. Don't ask them, they are probably not used to sleeping under sheets.

When I'm at a hotel or B&B I sleep between the sheets. When I'm at home, I use a comforter with a duvet cover and no sheet. This is the way most Europeans sleep and after my first trip to Europe I was hooked. This couple might be used to sleeping without a top sheet. I wouldn't mention it to them.

Before we opened we had friends stay with us who thought the bed was too hard so they slept on top of the comforter. (We put a foam topper on it after that.) They said, "Now you won't have to clean the sheets!" Um, wrong...
And we had homestay girls from Korea and Japan who stayed with us for a few weeks... eventually I showed them how Americans sleep >between< the sheets.
=)
Kk.

I have had it happen as well. Also have had some guests bring their own sheets. I just go with the flow. Don't ask.

Little Blue said:
Odd....have a very young couple staying for four nights (this is their third). The first morning I fluffed, I notice they did not sleep between the sheets, but rather between the blanket and the quilt, and brought their own yucky wooly thing and had that over the comforter. I assumed that morning that they did not like the texture of our new sheets, which are sort of silky feeling, so I put on a set of nice white cotton sheets.
This morning, I go in to clean, and see that they still didn't use the sheets. In fact, found dirty socks and what not between the blanket and the quilt at the foot of the bed. Now I wonder...do they think my sheets aren't clean? Do they just not use sheets at home?
Has anyone else seen this? Do you think I should ask them about it, or just leave it be? Normally, I let odd things like this just go, but I don't want to sluff it off if they do think something is wrong.
I have seen that a few times. I never really thought too much about it.
I filed it under personal peculiarities.

Little Blue said:
I have seen that a few times. I never really thought too much about it.
I filed it under personal peculiarities..
"personal peculiarities", I like that!

I have had other innkeepers mention this happening. Nobody knows why...
RIki

Some folks are just weird. Have you ever had a booking for a weekend and you KNOW they are in the room, but the bed has never been slept in? I saw that once. I figured they were sleeping on the floor for whatever reason, I couldn't say.

we had a couple stay this summer for a couple days, very pleasant tidy, etc. they told us the first morning that they did not want housekeeping. i relayed this to our housekeeper but i did peek in their room myself just to make sure there was no damage of any sorts. what i found was a blown up airbed with bedding on it & the guestroom bed was not touched at all. just for kicks i peeked in the next day and still the bed did not appear to have been touched. i assumed that maybe they are turned off by a bed that a million other people have slept in. they never mentioned anything about the airbed or the guestroom bed & neither did we.

For the first time, I had a repeat guest of ours sleep on top of the blanket and under the quilt. I think he was just so exhausted that he crashed! Last time he was here, I did a turn down service. But this time, I couldn't tell when he went out and got busy so I skipped it. He's the nicest guy but travels a lot. He said at breakfast that he slept like a rock so I guess he just collapsed!

This may seem an odd question but how do you make up your bed? Is the top sheet folded down OVER the duvet/blanket or is it just folded flat against the bottom sheet or .... ?
They many not realize there is a top sheet on the bed. Is that possible?

This may seem an odd question but how do you make up your bed? Is the top sheet folded down OVER the duvet/blanket or is it just folded flat against the bottom sheet or .... ?
They many not realize there is a top sheet on the bed. Is that possible?.
Top sheet is folded down over both the blanket and the quilt. They see it, all right.

They many not realize there is a top sheet on the bed. Is that possible?.
Top sheet is folded down over both the blanket and the quilt. They see it, all right.
Little Blue said:
Same here and we have also on occassion had people that slept between the blanket and comforter.

That has happened here three times in 9 years. One time it was a mother and daughter wnd the they slept on top of the comforter with, I assume, their own blanket. I think it is odd.

maybe they were drunk? LOL
I have brought my own blanket on vacation a few times. If I am staying somewhere that may be cold that I question how often they wash the blankets I will take one.
Also some guests may like to have "a bit of home" with them?

maybe they were drunk? LOL
I have brought my own blanket on vacation a few times. If I am staying somewhere that may be cold that I question how often they wash the blankets I will take one.
Also some guests may like to have "a bit of home" with them?.
Come and stay here! I wash our blankets very often... But why would you leave paradise? ;-)
Sometimes I wonder if people are just so exhausted that they don't untuck the bed covers? I mean freshly laundered sheets are always the best selection, I would think.

How often do you wash throw blankets? The type that are on a sofa or comfy chair?.
The funny part is, that because the bed is brand new, the mattress pad, blanket, quilt, curtains, everything textile in the room was freshly laundered and used by no one prior to their arrival. They slept that way all four nights, and left a very nice thank you card in the room....all in a day's work, I guess!

Back