Beware Trip Advisor Reviews Now Missing!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
Do a Google Search and you will notice that all Trip Advisor Reviews went AWOL beginning December 4th!!! Google Place Rankings are being drastically altered.

I SAW THAT TODAY as well. All TA reviews are not on my GOOGLE listing. I recall this happening a few months ago and they popped back up again.

Maybe they do some kind of scheduled "clean up" or something ? TA finally removed my listing after asking them to do so for months.

Trip Advisor Reviews missing from Google Places is Not a Glitch, is the word out on the blogs, though TA or Google have yet to comment

Momma smurf is it due to the new Beta Google being live now or is it live due to some hacks? Just noticed when I did a search it is that encrypted version that I get:
https://encrypted.google.com

Momma smurf is it due to the new Beta Google being live now or is it live due to some hacks? Just noticed when I did a search it is that encrypted version that I get:
https://encrypted.google.com.
Speculation is that the advent of Google's new Hotpot is direct competition against TA; and also Google is on a path to do away with reviews by unverified users--but would not explain why B&B.com reviews are still showing.

If Google has indeed knocked Trip Advisor off, traffic is going to plummet, just in time for all those high priced renewals for TA listings that come due in January.

I see where you are coming from, and for all those who are in high touristy areas with tons of competition I feel your pain, after all the hard work and all the great reviews.
Pls keep us updated on the word on the street as you find it, will appreciate it and hope for the best. Google wants to rule the world, and is getting closer day by day.

https://encrypted.google.com.
Speculation is that the advent of Google's new Hotpot is direct competition against TA; and also Google is on a path to do away with reviews by unverified users--but would not explain why B&B.com reviews are still showing.
This was my guess too. I suspect that B&B.com is small potatoes to Google, but their day may come.

I see where you are coming from, and for all those who are in high touristy areas with tons of competition I feel your pain, after all the hard work and all the great reviews.
Pls keep us updated on the word on the street as you find it, will appreciate it and hope for the best. Google wants to rule the world, and is getting closer day by day..
Interestingly enough, as soon as the TA reviews disappeared, what surged to the top of the search returns? The directories! So, the mom & pop shops have now been pushed back down the page, whereas before, with the help of TA reviews, they were at the top of the heap. Reviews help your placement on Google. There was just a big flap over someone's website getting shoved to the top by all the bad reviews he was getting, reviews that he was encouraging (bad reviews, I mean).

One of the reasons I have recommended people diversify their requested reviews. One for Google, one for TA, one for B&B.com ... Interesting to see this all play out.

Pls keep us updated on the word on the street as you find it, will appreciate it and hope for the best. Google wants to rule the world, and is getting closer day by day..
Interestingly enough, as soon as the TA reviews disappeared, what surged to the top of the search returns? The directories! So, the mom & pop shops have now been pushed back down the page, whereas before, with the help of TA reviews, they were at the top of the heap. Reviews help your placement on Google. There was just a big flap over someone's website getting shoved to the top by all the bad reviews he was getting, reviews that he was encouraging (bad reviews, I mean).
Alibi Ike said:
by search returns you are referring to a search of My City bed and breakfast???
My listing is still 1st with ABC listings (as shown on map) My website is still #1 in generic listings below that but is now followed by 2 directories before yahoo travel and then my TA review page. If I recall both of these directories did not appear until page 2 before. This will make them happy - at least for now.
Edited to add: did a search on a neighboring town with 3 B&Bs, the mapped listings (A,B,C - as shown on the map) are AFTER the directory listings on the 1st page. (Guess this is what you may be seeing on your search?)

One of the reasons I have recommended people diversify their requested reviews. One for Google, one for TA, one for B&B.com ... Interesting to see this all play out..
swirt said:
One of the reasons I have recommended people diversify their requested reviews. One for Google, one for TA, one for B&B.com ... Interesting to see this all play out.
And why you are the great wise one. And why I am glad I listened!

Alibi Ike said:
My listing is still 1st with ABC listings (as shown on map) My website is still #1 in generic listings below that but is now followed by 2 directories before yahoo travel and then my TA review page. If I recall both of these directories did not appear until page 2 before. This will make them happy - at least for now.
Edited to add: did a search on a neighboring town with 3 B&Bs, the mapped listings (A,B,C - as shown on the map) are AFTER the directory listings on the 1st page. (Guess this is what you may be seeing on your search?)
Yes, a search for 'my town, state B&B' used to return the B&B's that were on the map first, then other B&B's and then the directories or TA reviews in the last slot(s). Now the directories have the first slots and the actual B&B's have fallen to the last 7 slots (the 'local' results).

One of the reasons I have recommended people diversify their requested reviews. One for Google, one for TA, one for B&B.com ... Interesting to see this all play out..
swirt said:
and then if you see the remains of the day...they are the oddest review sites I have seen. Looking at a couple B&B's, there are so many review sites and if there weren't reviews on those oddball sites our listing would be also be bare, which is essentially is now. I now only have 3 reviews on the google listing, when before I had tons.
I agree putting all your eggs in one basket is not ideal. Never has been.
You know, I have always been thankful though, that for a free listing "google" they encompassed the TA reviews for us, I always thought that was a bonus. It was only a matter of time...

Alibi Ike said:
Yes, a search for 'my town, state B&B' used to return the B&B's that were on the map first, then other B&B's and then the directories or TA reviews in the last slot(s). Now the directories have the first slots and the actual B&B's have fallen to the last 7 slots (the 'local' results).
Alibi Ike said:
Now the directories have the first slots and the actual B&B's have fallen to the last 7 slots (the 'local' results).
Oh yeah they surely do!
or in my case when I am no longer on a gorilla directory it comes up saying "Bed & breakfasts NEAR my town"
Isn't that special. :)

Back