Bicycles

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrh

Reaction score
We just had a visit from a fellow who has applied with the city to open a bike shop in the available space next door to our inn. He was inquiring if we would be interested in monthly bike rentals. He would put placards on the bikes with our logo. We could either rent the bikes to our guests or provide them as part of the package. There are a lot of places folks could get to in our area on bikes - local attractions, mountain trails, shopping. The car speed limit through town is 20 mph so that's pretty bike friendly. Of course the more bikes you rent the cheaper they are. He wants a 6 month rental starting in April. Anybody doing bikes?
r

YOU do not rent the bikes. If he wants to rent bicycles, have his cards to give to the guests, if you have packages that include some form of bike riding you could note in the package text that rentals are available at..... so offer him the advertising that is on your web page because it is a service for your guests who may not have bikes or not want to mess with bringing them.
I keep 2 bikes in my shed for guests to use (helmets also) - I DO NOT RENT THEM for insurance reasons - but suggest a donation to the food bank for the use of the bikes. I do not have a bike rental available or I would not do this. Many will bring their own - one reason you do not tie yourself into a rental agreement - but the main reason is that if you are involved in that rental (touching money) you are liable. That is why my horse people leave their check or cash at the stable - I am not liable because I did not touch the money.

Seems to me he would be happy to have you next door to refer GUESTS to him to give them their $ to rent a bike. I would not rent anything, I would let the guests walk over and rent one - if he ends up being reputable.

I asked him about liability and his explanation was that there will be stickers on the bikes stating that the rider assumes all liability for his personal safety plus damages/theft to the bikes. He is pitching the advertising placards on the bikes that will be seen as these bikes are being ridden or parked around town.
Not sure how many people will bring their own bikes. We have had people stay who didn't even rent a car and walked everywhere as things are fairly close for those in fairly good physical condition. A bike would extend that range.
The liability issue is a big concern with me right now and yes, he will have his rental bikes right next door to us...
r

They will have some kind of a luggage rack to haul your picnic in or your shopping loot home. He does all the maintenance, have flat proof tires. He has been thinking about this thing for a while it seems. Probably all in his business plan. Young guy, maybe it was a school project that he is carrying through on.

They will have some kind of a luggage rack to haul your picnic in or your shopping loot home. He does all the maintenance, have flat proof tires. He has been thinking about this thing for a while it seems. Probably all in his business plan. Young guy, maybe it was a school project that he is carrying through on..
rrh said:
They will have some kind of a luggage rack to haul your picnic in or your shopping loot home. He does all the maintenance, have flat proof tires. He has been thinking about this thing for a while it seems. Probably all in his business plan. Young guy, maybe it was a school project that he is carrying through on.
Okay, so why should YOU rent them monthly? Again, if he is nice to you then you will be sending your guests over there - or holding them back if he is not. How about that for a business relationship? You send him paying guests and he advertises your place. :)

It's an interesting way for him to underwrite the cost of the bikes. I do know a couple of places that have their own bikes for guests and those bikes DO have a placard saying where the bikes are from so it is good advertising.
However, I would leave all monetary transactions between him and the guests.

Rather than you rent the bikes, why not talk to him about renting the placards with your info on them. I knew a lady who had a bike shop (and no she was nowhere near that I would be a help or hindrance - in fact she was closing shop) and she advised against doing the rental because insurance "would eat me up" - she knew because she was on a rail-trail and did rentals.

I concur with everyone above who warned you not to touch the money or do rentals. I also urge you to contact your insurance carrier to discuss the best way to go.
We wanted to have bikes here for our guests to use (not to rent) and when I called our insurance up they said absolutely not! They told us that we would have to do a 15 minute safety course with them, provide helmets, knee & elbow pads and have them sign a waiver. They also said these waivers do not hold up in court so they are useless. It just opens you up for a possible law suit down the road.
After the agent told me about the bicycles, I said "I guess I shouldn't even mention kayaks, huh?"

I concur with everyone above who warned you not to touch the money or do rentals. I also urge you to contact your insurance carrier to discuss the best way to go.
We wanted to have bikes here for our guests to use (not to rent) and when I called our insurance up they said absolutely not! They told us that we would have to do a 15 minute safety course with them, provide helmets, knee & elbow pads and have them sign a waiver. They also said these waivers do not hold up in court so they are useless. It just opens you up for a possible law suit down the road.
After the agent told me about the bicycles, I said "I guess I shouldn't even mention kayaks, huh?".
NW BB said:
After the agent told me about the bicycles, I said "I guess I shouldn't even mention kayaks, huh?"
This is very dependent on your insurance carrier as ours said, 'Do what is usual for a B&B, just let us know in advance.'

I would be leary of doing it myself. Friends here have a package where folks can rent bike with a local company. The company handles it all. The innkeepers just book the date. Better that way to avoid insurance issues.

Thanks for all the input. We talked about it last night and can't see the value in paying basically a buck a day/bike, especially when no one uses them, when the guests can rent them right next door at no cost to us. Also with the local shops being so close there is really no need for a bike to go shopping. We'll just t ry to establish a referral raport with them like we have with the other "neighbors".
r

Back