Bidet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonehengeBNB

Reaction score
There is currently a bidet in our guest room and it is in need of repair. The parts are special order. Do guests even care if there is a bidet or not? I had never seen one in person until we bought this home.

How cool! Europeans wonder how we keep clean without them! I grew up overseas and my mother used to rinse stockings in hers. I don't know if it will be popular with Americans, but Europeans will enjoy it.
RIki

Most Amerians don't have a clue. If you take it out..no one will care unless you have lots of Europeans staying with you and even then in the US they do not expect to find one. If you take it out, can you easily camoflauge the area where it was installed? Take out the plumbing..fix the tile, or maybe put a vanity or something in the space. If it is going to take alot to repair...I would not bother.

Unless you cater to a lot of Europeans I woudn't bother unless it is relatively easy to repair (ie under $100) UK people don't care for them and Americans's and orientals don't bother with them (ie you only find socks washing in them) my only consideration would be which is more expensive the repair or dedoing the space where it was ie wall, flooring, etc and I would do what ever is most cost effective

i stayed at tipsy's and LOVED that she has them. she may be able to tell you EXACTLY where to get supplies, etc. and can tell you about guest reaction and use.
i first saw them in italy ... and think they make a lot of sense.
stayed at the four seasons hotel i think it was ... years back ... in new york ... and they made a big deal of this accomodation along with 'seat warmers' and heated towel bars.

i stayed at tipsy's and LOVED that she has them. she may be able to tell you EXACTLY where to get supplies, etc. and can tell you about guest reaction and use.
stayed at the four seasons hotel i think it was ... years back ... in new york ... and they made a big deal of this accomodation along with 'seat warmers' and heated towel bars..
LOL. I'm so happy you liked it. I often wonder how many guests actually appreciate them. To be honest ... I get the most mileage not from the usage but from the "tales" and laughs I get to share with guests who I think can deal with stories with a little "ahem" ... color.
As to the real question, they have never (touch wood) needed repair so I've yet to delve into the question of where to get replacement parts.

stayed at the four seasons hotel i think it was ... years back ... in new york ... and they made a big deal of this accomodation along with 'seat warmers' and heated towel bars..
Well maybe..but I don't want to get too graphic here hA HA...but When I stare at it..I wonder..how do you do this??? Don't you get your clothes wet??? Seems really awkward to me..but I am sure if you grew up with it..you were trained how to use it. Me...I always use it as a place to sit my carry on bag :)

Well maybe..but I don't want to get too graphic here hA HA...but When I stare at it..I wonder..how do you do this??? Don't you get your clothes wet??? Seems really awkward to me..but I am sure if you grew up with it..you were trained how to use it. Me...I always use it as a place to sit my carry on bag :)
catlady said:
Well maybe..but I don't want to get too graphic here hA HA...but When I stare at it..I wonder..how do you do this??? Don't you get your clothes wet???
EXACTLY my thought!!!!!

How cool! Europeans wonder how we keep clean without them! I grew up overseas and my mother used to rinse stockings in hers. I don't know if it will be popular with Americans, but Europeans will enjoy it.
RIki.
egoodell said:
How cool! Europeans wonder how we keep clean without them!
Uh, we don't.
barf.gif

We stayed in a small inn in Italy several years ago. There was a shower and bidet IN THE BEDROOM, but you had to go down the hall to use the toilet. Fortunately, the toilet had a seat, which was not always the case.

Personally I would love to have one as an amenity...although I grew up overseas in South America with a very European flair I had one in the bathroom there and was very accostomed to them and then arriving in the US and not seeing one I had to ask WHY? So I guess its just that Americans don't know how to use them...if its not used then why have them right?

catlady said:
Well maybe..but I don't want to get too graphic here hA HA...but When I stare at it..I wonder..how do you do this??? Don't you get your clothes wet???
EXACTLY my thought!!!!!
GeorgiaGirl said:
catlady said:
EXACTLY my thought!!!!!
well, how to explain without being graphic? hmmmm ... i only used them in my own private guest bathroom and hung my jeans and pants up. no, no clothes got wet ... not at all. i wouldn't try with pants around the ankles ... if that's what you mean. i didn't see any in public bathrooms ... these were in my private bathroom. a bidet is perfect for that time of the month. also, for new moms. a friend bought a house with 3 bathrooms .. the two full baths each have one. says they provide wonderful relief from hemmorhoids and helps in personal care of her aging dad ... he can freshen himself up very well without assistance although they mounted those gripper bars on either side of both toilet and bidet as he has trouble standing up.

well, I had no idea either, but looked it up: http://www.bidetoo.com/how-to-use-a-bidet/

well, I had no idea either, but looked it up: http://www.bidetoo.com/how-to-use-a-bidet/.
greyswan said:
well, I had no idea either, but looked it up: http://www.bidetoo.com/how-to-use-a-bidet/
Interesting....
This was in the article:
"Some washbasin bidets are also used as a mini-bathtub to wash young children. You should note this in case you are a visiting guest at a home with babies lest you cause a chain of embarrassing events."
Now, I find that really disgusting!!!!!!!!!! Bathing your baby where someone has washed their behind in?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you cater to a lot of Europeans I woudn't bother unless it is relatively easy to repair (ie under $100) UK people don't care for them and Americans's and orientals don't bother with them (ie you only find socks washing in them) my only consideration would be which is more expensive the repair or dedoing the space where it was ie wall, flooring, etc and I would do what ever is most cost effective.
We get many Europeans staying and only once in 7 years has someone put on their guest feedback that they'd like a bidet.

Americans are generally not familiar with bidets and don't understand how to use them. They can be wonderful!
If it doesn't cost much to repair it vs. the repairs involved with removing it, I'd just keep it.

Well, since posting this, I remembered that we bought the "insurance" from our power company on all plumbing-- so I think we'll be able to get it repaired completely for free. :) We are marketing to Europeans, specifically to the German populace (since Klaus is from Germany), so it will be a nice touch methinks. Our housekeeper just looks at it when she is here and still can't figure out how people would use it. I offered her a web link to a "video tutorial" and she graciously declined as she laughed and walked away... ;-)

Well, since posting this, I remembered that we bought the "insurance" from our power company on all plumbing-- so I think we'll be able to get it repaired completely for free. :) We are marketing to Europeans, specifically to the German populace (since Klaus is from Germany), so it will be a nice touch methinks. Our housekeeper just looks at it when she is here and still can't figure out how people would use it. I offered her a web link to a "video tutorial" and she graciously declined as she laughed and walked away... ;-).
bought the "insurance" from our power company on all plumbing
HUH???? What is that about?? Never heard of such a thing.. What power company insures plumbing? Certainly not mine.
You have a housekeeper for a one room B & B? You will be paying your housekeeper for what you will be making off your one room.
How specifically do you plan to market to Germans???? I thought you just said you wanted "traveling Executives" in another post.

We are with SVC...and no such insurance available from them. Hope it is a reasonable cost. Sounds like you have it going together pretty well. If things go well with one room...do you think you will expand?? Or have you checked into the zoning in our county yet to see if it will be easily doable?

We are with SVC...and no such insurance available from them. Hope it is a reasonable cost. Sounds like you have it going together pretty well. If things go well with one room...do you think you will expand?? Or have you checked into the zoning in our county yet to see if it will be easily doable?.
We pay something like $14 a month for the repair coverage we have--so it is very, very reasonable.
It's too early to predict what we'll do in the future, but the way zoning works in our County, we can have "up to 4 unrelated adults" in our home on any given night without needing to amend the zoning. Klaus and I count as 2 of them since Virginia does not recognize our Massachusetts marriage--yet.

Dominion Virginia Power offers plumbing, electrical, water line, sewer line, gas line, and hot water heater repair coverage for a modest fee. I learned the hard way that our home warranty does not cover water line breakage once it passes outside the foundation--we saw water bubbling up in our back yard last Winter and got a $500 water bill. Thankfully, our county utilities give a huge account credit when you have a water line break and can provide a contractor's statement that it has been repaired. But, we were still on the hook for an unexpected $480 repair bill for a guy to dig out the line and repair it. Now, we're covered. :)
Our housekeeper worked for us before we opened our B&B--and continues to do so. She just deals with our private space and the common areas. Klaus and I are happy to do the "guest-related cleaning" ourselves.
Our marketing is multi-fold (business & leisure). There are quite a few international companies who do business in our area, some of them German. I will soon be doing some direct mail to executives at those firms whom I have met elsewhere. Klaus is using his business ties back in Europe to get the word out about us and we are working on the bi-lingual aspect of our web site as well. Although we target business folks, we're cetainly open to people on holiday, too. :)
Our position thus far is that we are a relaxing place to stay--regardless of why you come to Richmond. "Be At Home While You're Away From Home"

Back