Big Oops!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see now, the little hotel across the road (only ten guest rooms) had been at an advantage for a long time. he rented the use of the rooms over here on the second floor from the past owner when this building was, to put it kindly, a 'wreck' .... a couple bought it as their summer place and then divorced leaving it empty and neglected. anyway, he does not promise his reservations a particular room ... just like the big hotels ... he only notes sleeping needs ... unless very rarely someone presses him for a certain room. he has a store room with additional beds and does a lot of moving things around last minute if need be. well, the first year i was here, he would call in a panic asking if i had a room, ANY room, because he had got in the habit of thinking he had five extra rooms to depend on. and could always wing it. a guest would arrive and he would say 'oh ... you are staying in our 'annex' across the road.'.
I am staying at a very small Select Registry B&B (6 rooms) & you do not book a room with them, just the type of room. I didn't know which room I would be in until I arrived.

see now, the little hotel across the road (only ten guest rooms) had been at an advantage for a long time. he rented the use of the rooms over here on the second floor from the past owner when this building was, to put it kindly, a 'wreck' .... a couple bought it as their summer place and then divorced leaving it empty and neglected. anyway, he does not promise his reservations a particular room ... just like the big hotels ... he only notes sleeping needs ... unless very rarely someone presses him for a certain room. he has a store room with additional beds and does a lot of moving things around last minute if need be. well, the first year i was here, he would call in a panic asking if i had a room, ANY room, because he had got in the habit of thinking he had five extra rooms to depend on. and could always wing it. a guest would arrive and he would say 'oh ... you are staying in our 'annex' across the road.'.
I am staying at a very small Select Registry B&B (6 rooms) & you do not book a room with them, just the type of room. I didn't know which room I would be in until I arrived.
Samster said:
Sometimes I wonder if I would like that, all rooms the same config so we can just book people wherever and not have them choose. I have stayed at places like this, and I actually like to pick a room by location moreso that bathroom set etc.

Samster said:
Sometimes I wonder if I would like that, all rooms the same config so we can just book people wherever and not have them choose. I have stayed at places like this, and I actually like to pick a room by location moreso that bathroom set etc.
Nope, not similar configurations at all except more expensive rooms have better bathrooms. I have no idea why they do it this way. They also do not have online booking. In business a long time.

Samster said:
Nope, not similar configurations at all except more expensive rooms have better bathrooms. I have no idea why they do it this way. They also do not have online booking. In business a long time.
It's that being in business a long time and not needing to change. I met an SR innkeeper from Charleston at one of the more well-known places on Meeting Street - rooms range from $225 - $460 and they don't take credit cards. Cash or checks only.

Samster said:
It's that being in business a long time and not needing to change. I met an SR innkeeper from Charleston at one of the more well-known places on Meeting Street - rooms range from $225 - $460 and they don't take credit cards. Cash or checks only.
muirford said:
I have had a couple stay here whose very best friends own a B&B in Charleston who have had it on the market FOREVER. In fact I stole their "fish for dinner every night" analogy.
AND guess what - this is the psychic connection 0 I just booked 2 rooms in Charleston less than 5 minutes ago for January. (Holiday Inn riverview tho, view of the lights/skyline)

Samster said:
muirford said:
I have had a couple stay here whose very best friends own a B&B in Charleston who have had it on the market FOREVER. In fact I stole their "fish for dinner every night" analogy.
AND guess what - this is the psychic connection 0 I just booked 2 rooms in Charleston less than 5 minutes ago for January. (Holiday Inn riverview tho, view of the lights/skyline)
We thought about going down to Charleston or Savannah on this trip but decided to stay closer. You will have a good time!!

Samster said:
muirford said:
We thought about going down to Charleston or Savannah on this trip but decided to stay closer. You will have a good time!!
muirford said:
We're only there overnight, but hope to leave here bright and early so we can spend the day sightseeing there.

Innsider how are you feeling now? It does happen and you do what you can do. I know that horrible gut feeling.
The only double booking I had was simply the guests in the room were here 3 nights and I had marked them down for two. The new guests - still makes me ill to think about it, was a travel writer for a motorcycle magazine. boo hoo hoo. When the orig guests talked about their day I realized they were NOT checking in. So I ran in here, looked at it all, saw my error, then called the motorcyclists who were still dining at the prev night's lodging.
They were totally nice, I told them LET ME PAY FOR YOU HOTEL TONIGHT, they declined, and said that was way more than necessary. I mailed them a free stay GC anyway which they never used but appreciated and said they still plan to stay with us in the future.
I WAS SICK. BLEW IT!.
I am doing MUCH better this morning, Junie, and thanks so much for asking. Basically I got over it, we've gone through the reservation book and compared all the rest of the year bookings with Webervations and tried to find any other potential mistakes, it didn't look like there was anything awry so here' s hoping!
Amplifying the whole drama of this situation for me has been that we are entering the "scary" time of the season...weekends only for the most part. Mostly I am so happy to have some down time (TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF IN A ROW STARTING TODAY!!!) but then the fear of paying the bills for the winter kicks in. I am working on it, we've been through this in several seasons so far, and already have some strong bookings for 2009...but the fear is there, "What if no one travels next year?". Trying to ignore that, at least for the next 48 hours!!!
Do you have a Kelly Services in your area? For years, I got through the winter (and the early years - spring through fall) by doing short term temporary jobs. The beauty of being a Kelly is that if you are busy, you decline and there is no black mark on your "permanent record". If the job lasted 3 days it was a long term for me. I got my start with them by being willing to get the "cover thy butt with clothes and get to the job" call - IF I did not have guests or a commitment with one of my volunteer things. I did one job for about 17 months because they (the employer) worked around MY schedule (RARE - but she wanted me). They still call if they have a job that involves lawyers or very professional types or if they (Kelly) are between a rock and a hard place and IF I can fit it in, I do it.
Yes, we do have Kelly Services and I have done tons of that sort of work. Plus I have professional health care training I can fall back on in a second, have not had to do that yet and do not plan on doing it but it's nice to have the peace of mind. We had a great time watching the Steelers win a heart-stopping game today and I am just going to enjoy the down time as it comes, and trust that things will work out as they are meant to...it's gotten me this far!
Thanks to all of you for listening, no one else in the world can understand what we do and this forum has been a God send to me in terms of sympathetic and highly educated ears. Thank you to all of you for all that you do!

Back