Bigger Bed?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
I have 5 rooms with three price-points. All have private baths. Room #1, our least expensive, is a queen bed with minimal amenities (a standard jetted tub and shower combo); Rooms 2,3 & 4 are also queen, but priced higher because of the extra amenities (one has a hot tub, one has a jetted bathtub for two and the other has a tiled 4'x5' shower with two shower heads including a 10" rainfall); the 5th room is our cottage with a king-sized bed and a hot tub. This is our most expensive room, but has the highest occupancy (was rented 21 out of 29 days in Feb, for example)
Reviewing my stats, Room #4 is the least popular, followed by Room #1 which is the least expensive. Room #4 is the one with the queen bed and the big shower (no tub).
I've got the space in Room #4 to replace the queen bed with a king. Do you think this would make the room more desirable? I'd keep the price the same. It would be a significant initial investment - king frame, new mattress & box spring (it's time to replace one anyway), comforter, mattress pad, pillows, etc.
Comments and opinions welcome. Thanks!

While I dislike the look a king bed has on the room (it dominates) I find king beds are the top asked for amenity (well after private baths). You are seeing the trend, follow your gut.

While I dislike the look a king bed has on the room (it dominates) I find king beds are the top asked for amenity (well after private baths). You are seeing the trend, follow your gut..
Our least selling rooms are those without jetted tubs for two, and those with queen rather than king. I really think your room will rent more with a king bed.
RIki

IF you have the space for the king, I would go for it BUT I would also jump the price by $5 - 10 per night. They are getting more. Why should you eat the extra costs?
When I finally figured out how to put a queen in one of my rooms that had a full, I raised the price by $20 as I raised my other rates - $4 in the remaining full (it shares the bathroom with the newly added queen) and $6 in my queen w/ensuite bath. To date, no one has questioned ANY of my rates and the new queen went from being the orphan to being #2 in bookings. (I also offer the option of it as a private detached bath for $5 less than the ensuite in which case I do not rent the budget room that night - that has also worked nicely when the ensuite was already booked.)

Personally if I HAD the space I would put two beds in one room, to garner those sisters, friends, etc getaways. If I went anywhere with a friend or sister I would want one room, but never one bed. A sofa bed. day bed or roll away would not be an option. I know this isn't what you are asking.
As for me now looking at your site my immediate reason for not renting what I believe to be #4 with tiled shower is its location (shower), I would invest the money in that area of the room. And then 86 my prev comment as two beds in this room with an exposed shower would never be ideal for those traveling together.

I'm going to agree with Joey on this. Looking at the layout of the room, I would not take that room because I don't see how I can shower in private. If I'm missing something, so are the guests. So, rather than changing the bed, an option is to make it clear the shower isn't right in the open (you could even hang a drape from the ceiling to block it) or to lose that photo.
A second thing in re the photos (which I like, they're really pretty) is now that I have seen the shower location I am wondering if those drapes in the forefront are closing off the the rest of the bathroom, in which case I am definitely not taking that room if the other rooms have walls around the bahtroom.
BTW- that is an excellent occ rate for that one room in Feb!

Not even a shower curtain? I do not want that room either. Sorry, just looking at the photos (which I had not done earlier) gives the answer to your question. I do not care how big the bed is - I want privacy with anything to do with the bathroom.

OK, so now I have also looked at the layout of the room and I am with JB on this as well. It is more a layout of the room than the bed size. Personlly, even though I have been married to the same man for eternity, I like to bathe in private and so does he. And with view of the drapes in the photos, it gives the impression that the other bath areas are only hidden by a drape. If not the case, loose the pictures or crop out the drapes which give the impression. Your place looks inviting.

OK, so now I have also looked at the layout of the room and I am with JB on this as well. It is more a layout of the room than the bed size. Personlly, even though I have been married to the same man for eternity, I like to bathe in private and so does he. And with view of the drapes in the photos, it gives the impression that the other bath areas are only hidden by a drape. If not the case, loose the pictures or crop out the drapes which give the impression. Your place looks inviting..
copperhead said:
OK, so now I have also looked at the layout of the room and I am with JB on this as well. It is more a layout of the room than the bed size. Personlly, even though I have been married to the same man for eternity, I like to bathe in private and so does he. And with view of the drapes in the photos, it gives the impression that the other bath areas are only hidden by a drape. If not the case, loose the pictures or crop out the drapes which give the impression. Your place looks inviting.
Let me help rephrase that... "Personlly, even though I have been married to the same man for eternity, this is more reason to want to bathe in private, wait I mean, the more reason I want HIM to bathe in private." HAHA
cry_smile.gif

Im with the others looks like ive got to shower in front of my husband and him the same. this is fun if you are a honeymoon couple or whatever for about once. Do not personally want to see my husband washing his crown jewels to put it bluntly! would take the picture in a different way and not bother changing the bed as I doubt it would alter bookings.

I have to agree with the previous comments about the shower in #4.
Queen bed = yes
No privacy to shower= um, no thanks.

Im with the others looks like ive got to shower in front of my husband and him the same. this is fun if you are a honeymoon couple or whatever for about once. Do not personally want to see my husband washing his crown jewels to put it bluntly! would take the picture in a different way and not bother changing the bed as I doubt it would alter bookings..
Ok, there's another difference...we call them the 'family jewels' but, of course, you have the family that owns the jewels so you get to call them the crown jewels!

To solve the shower privacy problems, you can easily put a curtain up that pulls over in front of the shower. I don't know what they're called, but kind of like the ones that they have in Dr. offices or hospitals, but of course prettier. It can be tied up neatly on the wall to the right of the shower. If people have a problem with the privacy, they can just pull the curtain.

To solve the shower privacy problems, you can easily put a curtain up that pulls over in front of the shower. I don't know what they're called, but kind of like the ones that they have in Dr. offices or hospitals, but of course prettier. It can be tied up neatly on the wall to the right of the shower. If people have a problem with the privacy, they can just pull the curtain..
I think they do from the way the curtains show but you have to make it clear to the guests that this option is avaliable or just don't show it in the pictures.

Yes, this is certainly an 'en suite' bathroom. The toilet is in a closet by the a/c uint and the sink is in the room itself. The glass on the shower doors is very mottled, so you can't see thru it. Thanks for the suggestions on the curtain, though. That might help.
There is also a twin daybed in this room which is what's on the other side of the curtain-area. So, you could close the curtains and shower privately while the other person sits on the daybed and watches tv.
If I did put a shower curtain of sorts in the area, would I put it on the inside of the shower door, or the outside?

Yes, this is certainly an 'en suite' bathroom. The toilet is in a closet by the a/c uint and the sink is in the room itself. The glass on the shower doors is very mottled, so you can't see thru it. Thanks for the suggestions on the curtain, though. That might help.
There is also a twin daybed in this room which is what's on the other side of the curtain-area. So, you could close the curtains and shower privately while the other person sits on the daybed and watches tv.
If I did put a shower curtain of sorts in the area, would I put it on the inside of the shower door, or the outside?.
I would put it outside the door. Even a folding screen would be better than the feeling that anyone could walk into the room (to clean, perhaps?) and there you are in your altogether. Those same drapes you have on the alcove would make it look really interesting. Not sure how that would work with the fireplace right there, tho. You could suspend a rod pole from the ceiling using rigid poles to avoid the drapes swinging.
I'm not thrilled with these directions, but they are useful. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-hang-curtains-across-an-829
This photo isn't too bad:
drapes.jpg

I have to laugh that the other person would sit on the couch and watch TV while a 'real' show was going on right there in front of them!

If I did put a shower curtain of sorts in the area, would I put it on the inside of the shower door, or the outside?.
BTW, I am not able to figure out how you get that bathroom door open with the A/C unit right there! Do you have problems with guests jamming the door into the A/C?

The door to the privvy opens just fine. I do have to remind people, though, that when they have the a/c on to keep the door closed. Otherwise, all it does is cool the door.

I would really like to see the room but I have no ideal who you are. Could you email me your website? How do all you keep up with who is who?

I would really like to see the room but I have no ideal who you are. Could you email me your website? How do all you keep up with who is who?.
Ice said:
I would really like to see the room but I have no ideal who you are. Could you email me your website? How do all you keep up with who is who?
Check the profile.

Back