Biker Friendly Logo

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you saw this logo on a BnB website, what would you think?
bikerfriendly.png

I mentioned bikers prev on this forum and had an overwhelming "Oh no, gangs!" and that is not what we get here, we get plenty of $85,000 motorcycles that are "baby's" of our guests.
Many times they tow them on a trailer and ride them here.
I would like to add something like this to our website, but would I send MORE guests away than I would gain? I had advertised on a couple motorcycle touring websites as we have private and paved parking, which they like and are not far from some favorite motorcycle rides.

Good question! I'm not sure about your area but around here the whole biker "gang" thing has kind of faded away. We have more of the doctor, lawyer weekend bikers than the old traditional ornery biker dudes in our area. Our town is a real biker destination but more for day trips than stay overs. Our guests sit on the porch and watch them ride by, often commenting how nice it is when the rain parks the noisy machines. We have had a couple of biker couples stay but I would wager that we would loose more than we gained if I put that on the website.

I call us motorcycle friendly, not biker friendly. We have off-street parking for our motorcycle guests. I think it is the word Biker that brings up the Hell's Angels images.

This reminds me of a thread topic from a few weeks back about whether or not to advertise as "Gay Friendly." We can't really discriminate AGAINST any group. But by saying I'm "Biker Friendly", "Gay Friendly" or even "Clown Friendly" you are likely to alienate people who aren't.
But by not saying anything you say "I'm open to all people." Does that make sense?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

This reminds me of a thread topic from a few weeks back about whether or not to advertise as "Gay Friendly." We can't really discriminate AGAINST any group. But by saying I'm "Biker Friendly", "Gay Friendly" or even "Clown Friendly" you are likely to alienate people who aren't.
But by not saying anything you say "I'm open to all people." Does that make sense?
Proud Texan said:
Good point! I have prepared myself to answer the "xyz friendly" question with "We are human friendly" but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

Proud Texan said:
Good point! I have prepared myself to answer the "xyz friendly" question with "We are human friendly" but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.
rrh said:
"We are human friendly"
If you do that, you will alienate your non-human guests. AND we all know we get a few of those from time to time.

It makes sense. However, since I am interested in targeting the motorcycle folks and I do not care who does what behind their door, I have to let those groups they are welcome. I do not have rainbow banners or PFLAG signs all over my web site to scare off the "regular" folks nor do i display Hell's Angel logos for the same reason. So a listing on a targeted site or to list gays friendly on a directory listing as suitable for among the family friendly and other suitable fors does that without screaming it through a bull horn.
But by saying nothing, you leave people wondering are we welcome or not. I do not think it says open to all though because a flaming anti would not dare post No ____ (fill the blank) on web site. They would be setting themselves up to join the witches at the stake. We walk a VERY fine line.

If you can alter that logo, I would make it look less Harley-like and have it say 'Motorcycles Welcome' and that would strictly be for non-motorcyclists to allay their fears that this is a biker B&B. We get a lot of Harley riders here who are the same crowd you are getting. Pricey bikes, not gang-like.
Now that's got me thinking of a biker B&B. What kind of market do you think that might be?

Perhaps the term "touring" in there somewhere would help convey the demographic most of us have encouraged to use B&Bs versus hotels.
We get some touring bikers from time to time and one big appreciative thing they convey to us is the security of our enclosed parking which is not available at most chain hotels.
Waking up one morning to find your very expensive motorcycle stolen from a hotel parking lot would put a real damper on most people's future travel options.
This is a demographic group that is ripe for what we have to offer and the old perceptions of noisy, rowdy, stinky bikers is pretty outdated.
Thanks for raising the issue.

If you can alter that logo, I would make it look less Harley-like and have it say 'Motorcycles Welcome' and that would strictly be for non-motorcyclists to allay their fears that this is a biker B&B. We get a lot of Harley riders here who are the same crowd you are getting. Pricey bikes, not gang-like.
Now that's got me thinking of a biker B&B. What kind of market do you think that might be?.
Now that's got me thinking of a biker B&B. What kind of market do you think that might be?
If you are near trails show it as bicycles. It is also a huge market and they DO travel to ride trails. I had 4 calls on Monday from people asking about trails PLUS had an e-mail inquiry from a book publisher asking for high rez photos of WV trails. (Sent him to Tourism because I know they have some excellent ones.) I also had a couple this Spring from MN that came to ride the North Bend Rail-Trail (I picked them up and took them back to their car), the bike group from Indiana that I fed - could not accommodate them, too many. and I have had several people who were biking across country since I opened. Often the mountain bikers are looking for hostel prices but the rail-trail riders are looking for comfort.

It makes sense. However, since I am interested in targeting the motorcycle folks and I do not care who does what behind their door, I have to let those groups they are welcome. I do not have rainbow banners or PFLAG signs all over my web site to scare off the "regular" folks nor do i display Hell's Angel logos for the same reason. So a listing on a targeted site or to list gays friendly on a directory listing as suitable for among the family friendly and other suitable fors does that without screaming it through a bull horn.
But by saying nothing, you leave people wondering are we welcome or not. I do not think it says open to all though because a flaming anti would not dare post No ____ (fill the blank) on web site. They would be setting themselves up to join the witches at the stake. We walk a VERY fine line.
gillumhouse said:
joke.png

gillumhouse said:
joke.png

I am so happy to hear that. We are sooo discriminated against.....
And West Virginia is SOOOOO Friendly!!

gillumhouse said:
joke.png

gillumhouse said:
I hear the girls are especially friendly.
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
joke.png

gillumhouse said:
I hear the girls are especially friendly.
wink_smile.gif

I'll never tell..........

If your rates are not significantly below $100/night, I really think that you don't have anything to worry about.

I don't know about having the logo in the website but in my experience guests coming on motorcycles are just really good guests. They are usually well to do and have nice bikes. It is interesting as I have kept in touch on Facebook with more of my guests who rode in on motorcycles than guests that didn't. I don't ride a motorcycle and have no interest in one for myself though.

Proud Texan said:
No.
What I want to do is ATTRACT those motorcycles and get them to stay right here. :) Unfortunately, the only draw back is they will most definately be one night stays and hit the road as that is why they are here. We get motorycles often, and vintage cars who like to tour, but move on...
I am not going to call riding a motorcycle a sexual preference or clownlike, but thanks for drawing the reference. LOL

I don't know about having the logo in the website but in my experience guests coming on motorcycles are just really good guests. They are usually well to do and have nice bikes. It is interesting as I have kept in touch on Facebook with more of my guests who rode in on motorcycles than guests that didn't. I don't ride a motorcycle and have no interest in one for myself though..
oceans said:
I don't know about having the logo in the website but in my experience guests coming on motorcycles are just really good guests. They are usually well to do and have nice bikes. It is interesting as I have kept in touch on Facebook with more of my guests who rode in on motorcycles than guests that didn't. I don't ride a motorcycle and have no interest in one for myself though.
Not to side track altogether, but the # of times I hear GASPS out loud re our NASCAR guests is reminiscent of the biker guest issue. The misconception of the NASCAR guests...We have CEO's of companies and all walks of life stay with us vs (to borrow Kathleen's term) the no-tell motel crowd. My favorite weekend of the year is NASCAR. My least favorite-here goes...load the arrows...is wine festival. 30,000 people go arts, crafts, wine and beach music happy and the baby boomers are loaded...to put it nicely. Not my favorite crowd AT ALL.
Sorry to side swipe the thread...it seemed kind of in context at the time.
teeth_smile.gif

I guess the question I have is, why would that logo (or any biker /motorcycle friendly logo) help? In order to see it, they already have to be on your website.
If your primary audience are the $85K professional nice person who is riding "baby" then it is probably unlikely that they even think they wouldn't be welcome. If they don't see themselves as a "gang" member, why would they think others would?
If you are trying to say that bikers should consider you because you have special amenities for bikers, then spell out the amenities, because the logo won't do that. Think blog post or separate page targeted to bikers. Text content that people will find if searching for biker related stays.

Now that's got me thinking of a biker B&B. What kind of market do you think that might be?.
MooseTrax said:
I borrowed that from a website I saw, it might be an actual directories logo, so just bear with me on the terminology, I had not done the research to find where the logo came from yet. Just pondering the idea of reaching that target demographic BETTER as we have a couple million RIDERS of motorcycles every year near us - not in mass form, but individuals/couples who ride.
With our occupancy, there is always room for more guests at our table! BRING EM ON!
Oh and the website I took that from was an upscale BnB in the mountains of NC near Asheville.

Back