Birthed in this room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
"Birthed in this room"
Is this a turn off or something you would find interesting...would you say in writing, ie on a website description or blog that the original owner's children were birthed in this room? Or it was the nursery fore the orignal owners?

My own opinion would be: did the child live or die at birth...don't think I could sleep where a child died.

I don't think most people would care to know UNLESS it was someone famous or infamous. I sure wouldn't care.

I had to look but I did not include that the youngest son of my original owners was born in that room and his only niece was also born there. I would just say born in rather than birthed, especially if they tuned out to be "somebody" as opposed to one of us normal schmucks.

My own opinion would be: did the child live or die at birth...don't think I could sleep where a child died..
I would never say or elude to who has died in this house. But they can visit them out back in the cemetary. :)
If so I might as well close up shop! People died in their homes years ago. That is the way it was, and should be!

Before I would put this on my website or in printed info, I would ask myself if this is information that will bring a booking.... if not, safe it for fluff if people ask for more historical data when they arrive.
As for me, having that info would not entice me either way unless it was someone important....(or as Penelope stated)

Okay thanks for the feedback. So many are super interested in the history of a B&B, I was wondering if it would help sell the room - yeah y'all know which room, the detached. and hey in those days it was the ONLY bath in the house!!
I just moved the furniture back to a better spot and retook some pix and have them up and will run a "Featured Room" on the blog.
Maybe I could put a binky as the key fob! Just kidding...

It would be OK with me, as long as it's not the original bed
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

My own opinion would be: did the child live or die at birth...don't think I could sleep where a child died..
I would never say or elude to who has died in this house. But they can visit them out back in the cemetary. :)
If so I might as well close up shop! People died in their homes years ago. That is the way it was, and should be!
Amen!!

I don't think it would make me book the room. I think I'd go on and on about how sunny and happy the room is. I'd probably put it in the room book, tho. At least until someone claimed they couldn't sleep and HAD to be moved to another room causing me to lose a night's revenue.

Okay thanks for the feedback. So many are super interested in the history of a B&B, I was wondering if it would help sell the room - yeah y'all know which room, the detached. and hey in those days it was the ONLY bath in the house!!
I just moved the furniture back to a better spot and retook some pix and have them up and will run a "Featured Room" on the blog.
Maybe I could put a binky as the key fob! Just kidding....
Sorry but I don't think this would be a draw to the room:-( unless as I said before someone famous had actually been born there..otherwise..who would care?

I guess it would be better than my story...."and the previous owner died right here at Christmas; they found him the next day." I did find his wedding band in the bilge; cleaned it up and returned it to his widow.

original owner's children were born ... i don't like birthed
yes, i'd put it in the book or in the blog ... it's interesting. gives you an idea of age and character of the house. i wouldn't mention those who've died in the house.
my sister's house has a 'borning and dying room' whoever was giving birth or dying spent their time in that particular room. it's a 1700's house. it also has a false door. just a door mounted to a wall next to the real door. it is nailed completely shut. this was to fool any evil spirits trying to enter the house or do mishief or something. not exactly sure. the wall between the rooms is quite thin and nothing is 'in the wall' so don't worry in case someone is wondering.

Back