bit of a weird situation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
was invited to a neighbour B&B to pick up some marketing materials and when I walked up the drive a guest saw me throught the window and went to let me in. I knew my friend would not be too chuffed that guests were letting people in so was in a bit of a quandry whether to come in with the guest or say sorry I will stay on the step thanks (which may have sounded a bit odd) Hadn't really thought about this issue from the guests side. I had it once when the stranger on the step thought the guest letting him in was the owner and started in with room questions and at this point the guest realised their mistake. We have since moved the bells (they are on a speaker system) to where the guests can't hear them but I can't stop them seeing them. DH recons I should put a sign on the door saying please do not let in anyone you do not know but They don't read the please shut the door sign so I have little hope they will read anything else. Plus I am wary of covering my front door with signs as this may look a little mad.
(vistaprint sign - Please do not let strangers in as they may be murderers and it is for your own security!) lol
Does anyone have any ideas?

We've put it in the guest book but it doesn't stop some people. If we are leaving and I see any of our guests I will explicitly tell them to not answer the door. I KNOW they feel odd sitting right there where the doorbell ringer can see them, but what are they supposed to do? Let the person in who then tries to scam them because the guest doesn't know any better?

Exactly we had a group of ladies in the lounge and they at least had the scence to say to me we didn't want to open it as we didn't know if it was one of your guests but most don't I think they are programed from when they are at home. Trouble is with our place if they are let in I have no way of knowing so they then just stand there in the hall like numpties

GRRRRRRR!
Happens here.
I ask people "Why is there a door keypad?" Oh sorry sorry we thought we were helping! Once last summer I told a couple "Ya know, the person YOU LET lN was upstairs wandering around through all the rooms!" I rely on people ringing the bell, I am not standing by the front door 24/7.
They let in salespeople, when I am in the kitchen on my own in the midst of eggs and things I cannot step away from. "We were trying to help"

We seldom have this issue due to remote location etc. But I am reminded of a stay a while back. This B&B was on the main ave.. During his welcome speach (quite long and detailed - story for another time) he showed us how to use the front door and said this:
As you can see we are in a very active part of the city with people walking the streets at all hours. As you are entering, please do not let others coat tail in behind you. If they are staying here, they have means to get in, don't feel this is rude, it is keeping us all safe.
There was more (he was very wordy) but we got the message and it stuck!

We seldom have this issue due to remote location etc. But I am reminded of a stay a while back. This B&B was on the main ave.. During his welcome speach (quite long and detailed - story for another time) he showed us how to use the front door and said this:
As you can see we are in a very active part of the city with people walking the streets at all hours. As you are entering, please do not let others coat tail in behind you. If they are staying here, they have means to get in, don't feel this is rude, it is keeping us all safe.
There was more (he was very wordy) but we got the message and it stuck!.
see this is our problem we are in a busy town centre plus directly opposite the conference center which can have thousands of delegates in it at a time (max 20,000) and for the ones that come every year often they see our location and pop up the path to get a card and enquire about next year and so on. We are also in an area where pick ups from the station take people asking where there is accomodation so lots of through traffic, especially on foot with people wandering about all over.

see this is our problem we are in a busy town centre plus directly opposite the conference center which can have thousands of delegates in it at a time (max 20,000) and for the ones that come every year often they see our location and pop up the path to get a card and enquire about next year and so on. We are also in an area where pick ups from the station take people asking where there is accomodation so lots of through traffic, especially on foot with people wandering about all over.
Do you have a little box outside the door with brochures in it? http://www.amazon.com/InfoPak-Jr-Outdoor-Brochure-Business/dp/B003A0SA1I

Do you have a little box outside the door with brochures in it? http://www.amazon.com/InfoPak-Jr-Outdoor-Brochure-Business/dp/B003A0SA1I
we have a virtually identical one for business cards as we found that people don't necessarily want to talk just gathering info. we also have a sort of menu box with pictures of rooms in and prices which we can change any time and lights up at night. That reminds me we have to update it as they pics get faded after a while.

Had it happen from time to time here despite telling guests upon check-in that registered guests had the code and anyone else (for their own safety & security) shouldn't just be let in! We were an urban inn.
And, it was in the room books, too. Sigh...
The worst one was when a guest let another innkeeper barge in who walked right through the "private" sign on the kitchen door. That is the only person in 2 years that didn't knock on the kitchen door and wait for an answer...

Back