Biz card question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what local printer out in the sticks of maine? went to vistaprint because i found them online. they gave me quality and a low price. if a local printer was around, i found no website for them/him/her. nothing in the (old) local phone book i had. i found a couple places not too far away by googling. one had a price that was too high for me. one place i called (three times) never called me back. not a good sign.
can't shop at a place i don't know exists or that doesn't offer online service if they are too busy to get back to me. kind of sad really.
editing out my attitude here..
Did you notice that probably 10% of local businesses in Maine have a website? I can't find anything! And the phone books are a joke. I have about 8 different phone books that cover an odd asst of towns and I can never find anything.
If I try to use Yellow Pages online I get places in MA. So don't get me started on the online phone book either!
Give me the old phone books we used to have from ONE source with ALL the phone numbers in it for a region. Not this 2 towns in this book, 3 towns in that book, businesses for some of those towns in another book. Arrrrgh!

Quick question: Why don't you guys use your local printers?.
I did use my local printer. The price was reasonable but I had to wait forever. Then the last batch of cards had my address as relaxat@. No they did not charge me for them. I told her the address was relax@. Now I print a couple sheets of my B & B cards, a couple sheets of my City Clerk cards, and a couple sheets of my rail-trail cards and I am ready for whatever is appropriate. I do not bother with my Tourist Info cards - I am the Tourist Info Center for my City also.

I was just asking because I am always looking to keep all of my business local, even if it means that I have to pay more, rather than send it out of town. I have to say though that if the service at my print shop wasn't good or took too long, I would go and look for other sources a little further out of town.

i 'hear' you.
wink_smile.gif

Actually I use the nearest green printer. It's not in my immediate village but it's within 30 miles. Our local printer closed up shop last year so is no longer an option.
I've used Vistaprint, though, when I've had a really limited (or nonexistent) budget for such things. They do good work at a price no one can beat.
But generally speaking, I use a local and green printer when I can. If its my budget I'm working with, I always go local. The small amount of extra money I pay is worth it for the impact it has on our small community.

I was just asking because I am always looking to keep all of my business local, even if it means that I have to pay more, rather than send it out of town. I have to say though that if the service at my print shop wasn't good or took too long, I would go and look for other sources a little further out of town..
If you can't stay local, you might think of a green online printer as an alternative. I like greenerprinter.com. Their work is very good and the quality of papers/inks available is just fabulous. They cost more but, to me, it's worth it.
That said, if I had a local option still available in my immediate area, I'd try giving them the business first.
The extra money comes back to you. Local money stays local and supports all of the businesses that your guests rely upon during their stay. IMHO, giving your business to your nearest neighbors whenever you can, is the smartest thing you can do.
Besides, if you're in a relatively remote area, each and every one of those local businesses will at some point have the opportunity to send you some business.
As many times as I have used Vistaprint, I could just about guarantee you that they've never sent me any business.

I was just asking because I am always looking to keep all of my business local, even if it means that I have to pay more, rather than send it out of town. I have to say though that if the service at my print shop wasn't good or took too long, I would go and look for other sources a little further out of town..
If you can't stay local, you might think of a green online printer as an alternative. I like greenerprinter.com. Their work is very good and the quality of papers/inks available is just fabulous. They cost more but, to me, it's worth it.
That said, if I had a local option still available in my immediate area, I'd try giving them the business first.
The extra money comes back to you. Local money stays local and supports all of the businesses that your guests rely upon during their stay. IMHO, giving your business to your nearest neighbors whenever you can, is the smartest thing you can do.
Besides, if you're in a relatively remote area, each and every one of those local businesses will at some point have the opportunity to send you some business.
As many times as I have used Vistaprint, I could just about guarantee you that they've never sent me any business.
And do you know for sure that your local one has. We rarely had a local refer anyone to us.

And do you know for sure that your local one has. We rarely had a local refer anyone to us.
Oh my god, the number of local referrals I've gotten has been astounding. Especially given the number of alternatives!
Yes, I'm sure the local printer sent me guests. Same for the local gas station, the local bakeries, the local deli, the local bookstore, the local saloon, and all the local restaurants.
All local businesses are potential goldmines for referrals.

Oh my god, the number of local referrals I've gotten has been astounding. Especially given the number of alternatives!
Yes, I'm sure the local printer sent me guests. Same for the local gas station, the local bakeries, the local deli, the local bookstore, the local saloon, and all the local restaurants.
It's amazing how things are different everywhere. We were eating in a restaurant awhile ago where the PO works and I heard a group ask the waiter where could they find lodging. The waiter stood there and said, 'The only thing in town is the Hilton.'
When we were leaving, I gave him my biz card and told him, 'There are 10 B&B's in walking distance to this restaurant.'
He had no idea at all. And the guy who used to own my place was in the kitchen cooking!
A lot of the people who work in this town do not live anywhere near here. They come to work and go home and don't know anything about the town at all. We've organized bus tours around town, free breakfasts, free afternoon (after work) 'tea' parties and nothing works.
I drop off my brochures, talk to the owners, etc, but the owners are not at the 'front desk' when someone is looking for a place to stay. And the owners don't tell the clerks and employees about the B&B's.
Last year we had a horrible storm here in town. EVERY hotel filled up and not a single B&B got a call. THAT'S the kind of local support we get. And I still support the local businesses. Even people who come to the door to deliver items or pick things up don't 'get' that this is a real business and we really do take guests without the hotels being full. That's pretty much the way we're viewed here...overflow for the hotels. Even though almost every B&B has been here longer than almost ANY hotel.
The long time residents will call us and refer to us for even things like conventions. But the people who just work here? Not a clue.

It's amazing how things are different everywhere. We were eating in a restaurant awhile ago where the PO works and I heard a group ask the waiter where could they find lodging. The waiter stood there and said, 'The only thing in town is the Hilton.'
When we were leaving, I gave him my biz card and told him, 'There are 10 B&B's in walking distance to this restaurant.'
He had no idea at all. And the guy who used to own my place was in the kitchen cooking!
A lot of the people who work in this town do not live anywhere near here. They come to work and go home and don't know anything about the town at all. We've organized bus tours around town, free breakfasts, free afternoon (after work) 'tea' parties and nothing works.
I drop off my brochures, talk to the owners, etc, but the owners are not at the 'front desk' when someone is looking for a place to stay. And the owners don't tell the clerks and employees about the B&B's.
Last year we had a horrible storm here in town. EVERY hotel filled up and not a single B&B got a call. THAT'S the kind of local support we get. And I still support the local businesses. Even people who come to the door to deliver items or pick things up don't 'get' that this is a real business and we really do take guests without the hotels being full. That's pretty much the way we're viewed here...overflow for the hotels. Even though almost every B&B has been here longer than almost ANY hotel.
The long time residents will call us and refer to us for even things like conventions. But the people who just work here? Not a clue.
Morticia said:
That is just a shame. Fortunately we have no chains in our community. I mean no chains of any kind. The grocery store, the only gas station around, the only bookstore, and everything else are all independent mom-and-pop operations. Most of the employees are locals.
And lordy what a difference that makes. A community that supports its own just thrives.

well good for you..that is NOT the case where we live. IF you talk to any innkeepers here, they will tell you..no locals even know they exist..let alone send referrals ;-(

Locals here would be great referrals for small weddings and functions, 110%, not for overnight guests. They find it offensive to send a friend or family member to a "hotel" which is what they think we are.
Then we had the head of the chamber bring her brother by from Coronado CA - retired Rear Admiral - and she said, and I quote, as I am still appalled "He chose the B&B, I don't know why anyone would want to stay in an old house." Tempted to slug her, yes, but he was here for their mother's funeral, so I bit my tongue and walked away.

well good for you..that is NOT the case where we live. IF you talk to any innkeepers here, they will tell you..no locals even know they exist..let alone send referrals ;-(
catlady said:
IF you talk to any innkeepers here, they will tell you..no locals even know they exist..let alone send referrals ;-(
Couldn't have said it better myself. No matter how much effort you put into the community, and no matter how many times a local might drive right by the house every day...tell them your business name and they'll say "Oh, where is that"?
There is no such thing as local guests, or local referrals, at least not here.

Morticia said:
That is just a shame. Fortunately we have no chains in our community. I mean no chains of any kind. The grocery store, the only gas station around, the only bookstore, and everything else are all independent mom-and-pop operations. Most of the employees are locals.
And lordy what a difference that makes. A community that supports its own just thrives.
Taking a stroll down Main St here and 75% of the businesses are chains. However, there are over 500 small business owners in a town of 7000. They just don't hang their shingle out on the main drag. So they can be hard to find.

I am in almost everything in this town and there are many people who do not know there is a B & B in this city. I have educated the cashiers at the grocery and at a couple of the convenience stores. Local referrals? One would think the funeral home across the street would, right? NO WAY! NADA! Some people though are starting to think about us for over-flowing relatives. Not enough, but it has only taken 13 years to get this far...

I am sorry that networking doesn't seem to work for so many of you. We have a lot of referrals that maybe due to no chains of any kind in our 1500 people town. We need each other and we know it. I don't know why it works here and not elsewhere. Is it possible that the C of Cs here in this area are more engaged?
Oh oh...this was threadjacking at it's finest. Back to business cards before someone finds out :)

I am sorry that networking doesn't seem to work for so many of you. We have a lot of referrals that maybe due to no chains of any kind in our 1500 people town. We need each other and we know it. I don't know why it works here and not elsewhere. Is it possible that the C of Cs here in this area are more engaged?
Oh oh...this was threadjacking at it's finest. Back to business cards before someone finds out :).
We haven't had a C of C here. So it's pretty much each business for itself if you can join enough orgs to get your name out there with other biz people. Stopping in to visit is very time-consuming and there is never a guarantee you'll ever come across the owner. Places with rack card displays are on my general list, but most places don't do that.

I have a friend in the printing business and his price was way too high and he was "giving me a deal". Vistaprint prices can't be beat! Most printers are used by big companies I believe - not us little peons!
I have to chime in here because I personally feel that vistaprint is way too expensive for their paid work. For the free stuff they are fine but, if you are ordering your own business cards, rack cards or postcards in numbers greater then the free quantity, they are double to triple the cost of some of the other print sites. We have been using printplace and are very happy with the quality. Let me give you some quick numbers.
Business cards
500 4-color both sides
vistaprint : $64.97 plus $6.15 shipping
printplace : $23.00 plus $7.18 (to my location) shipping
Savings of $40.94
Postcards
1000 4-color both sides
vistaprint : $159.98 plus $24.77 shipping
printplace : $71.50 plus $8.32 (to my location) shipping
Savings of $104.93
This is typical of what I have seen with some of the other print sites versus vistaprint. It really pays to shop your job around and price it on several sites. Price your next job on both sites and see what you get.

I have a friend in the printing business and his price was way too high and he was "giving me a deal". Vistaprint prices can't be beat! Most printers are used by big companies I believe - not us little peons!
I have to chime in here because I personally feel that vistaprint is way too expensive for their paid work. For the free stuff they are fine but, if you are ordering your own business cards, rack cards or postcards in numbers greater then the free quantity, they are double to triple the cost of some of the other print sites. We have been using printplace and are very happy with the quality. Let me give you some quick numbers.
Business cards
500 4-color both sides
vistaprint : $64.97 plus $6.15 shipping
printplace : $23.00 plus $7.18 (to my location) shipping
Savings of $40.94
Postcards
1000 4-color both sides
vistaprint : $159.98 plus $24.77 shipping
printplace : $71.50 plus $8.32 (to my location) shipping
Savings of $104.93
This is typical of what I have seen with some of the other print sites versus vistaprint. It really pays to shop your job around and price it on several sites. Price your next job on both sites and see what you get.
I think you really have to use the coupons to get a deal on VP. Thanks for the info on the other site.

Back