Bizarreness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose the real question is this-if one of your guests unfavourably compared your establishment to a Motel 6 (or similar) what would be your reaction? How would you make it better for your guest? Given that nothing mentioned was incorrect and everything was brought up to you at the time.
Gryphon.
I think most of us are here because we really, really care so if a guest compared one of us to motel 6 it would be sour grapes on the guest's part.
They didn't get their way over something. We didn't have something they get 'everywhere' else. But something we don't say we have!
If a guest is not happy here and they tell us early enough on we invite them to leave. Not being snarky. We've just found over 10 years that if a guest is unhappy we are not able to make that change. And it's better for all that the guest go where they have exactly what the guest wants.
So, we refund. And if they have a specific gripe - no pool, no TV, no in room coffee machine - we send them where we know they have those things. Will even call for them.
Having spent an unwelcome 5 months at a Motel 6-finding a 3br in the Texas Hill Country at ANY price is amazingly difficult. We had fresh cotton sheets which passed the black light test, fresh coffee in a carafe (not burnt and of a really decent quality) at 6am with surprisingly fresh pastries-thank you HEB, clean room and fresh towels at will (ie we need another half dozen for showers n hair n etc NOW), never had to ask-were always asked what we needed to be comfortable. The front desk clerks always introduced themselves. Every shift. Never had anyone walk into our room EVER. Privacy yet hospitable. All that at $35 a night. Why should I pay 4x that plus a night and get LESS service, a less comfortable room and not be upset?
Gryphon
Not saying you shouldn't be upset at the treatment you received.
Explaining why most of us here try to be way beyond helpful so the guest really doesn't need anything.
Yet, like jb said earlier, in the course of one day she had a guest completely pan a room that the next person checking in loved.
When we get that there is something else at work besides us, the Inn, the room, etc. Or maybe it is us and there's no fix for that. We are who we are. We can't change that for the guest who wanted someone else.
Glad the service was excellent at the motel. It's hard living in a motel for any length of time so having well trained staff makes a world of difference.

I suppose the real question is this-if one of your guests unfavourably compared your establishment to a Motel 6 (or similar) what would be your reaction? How would you make it better for your guest? Given that nothing mentioned was incorrect and everything was brought up to you at the time.
Gryphon.
I think most of us are here because we really, really care so if a guest compared one of us to motel 6 it would be sour grapes on the guest's part.
They didn't get their way over something. We didn't have something they get 'everywhere' else. But something we don't say we have!
If a guest is not happy here and they tell us early enough on we invite them to leave. Not being snarky. We've just found over 10 years that if a guest is unhappy we are not able to make that change. And it's better for all that the guest go where they have exactly what the guest wants.
So, we refund. And if they have a specific gripe - no pool, no TV, no in room coffee machine - we send them where we know they have those things. Will even call for them.
Having spent an unwelcome 5 months at a Motel 6-finding a 3br in the Texas Hill Country at ANY price is amazingly difficult. We had fresh cotton sheets which passed the black light test, fresh coffee in a carafe (not burnt and of a really decent quality) at 6am with surprisingly fresh pastries-thank you HEB, clean room and fresh towels at will (ie we need another half dozen for showers n hair n etc NOW), never had to ask-were always asked what we needed to be comfortable. The front desk clerks always introduced themselves. Every shift. Never had anyone walk into our room EVER. Privacy yet hospitable. All that at $35 a night. Why should I pay 4x that plus a night and get LESS service, a less comfortable room and not be upset?
Gryphon
Not saying you shouldn't be upset at the treatment you received.
Explaining why most of us here try to be way beyond helpful so the guest really doesn't need anything.
Yet, like jb said earlier, in the course of one day she had a guest completely pan a room that the next person checking in loved.
When we get that there is something else at work besides us, the Inn, the room, etc. Or maybe it is us and there's no fix for that. We are who we are. We can't change that for the guest who wanted someone else.
Glad the service was excellent at the motel. It's hard living in a motel for any length of time so having well trained staff makes a world of difference.
Thank you for being NICE.l Not that people haven't been in toto but you've gone out of your way and I really appreciate that! You would NOT believe the email I just got-after a WEEK from the owner. OMG. Basically laid the whole thing-including the lock, in my lap. Oh well. Like I keep saying-major lesson in "What NOT to do".
Gryphon

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Did I read that you're planning to open a B&B but have never stayed at a B&B before? Seems funny as we were B&B people long before we decided to open a B&B and I can't imagine planning to open one without ever having experienced them. You mentioned TripAdvisor - did you research this B&B on TA before you booked? What are their reviews like from others?
Our photos are all done professionally and they stage everything. They bring in flowers, champagne bottles and glasses (actually pour some in) so that guests can "envision what a weekend will be like." In our photos, all of those things are staged in the rooms. I sell guests that same champagne & chocolate truffles and they can order bouquets in various dollar amounts - they are not free. In some room photos, there are open books, slippers by the bed, binoculars on the nightstand. So if these innkeepers were trying to stage their rooms to be like the pros, that would account for them being in the photos. I think most people know that this stuff isn't included (unless it specifically lists it out).
If the doorknob wasn't working they should have gotten someone in to repair it unless they can't get a repair man on the weekend. It's also not appropriate that they served you tomatoes when your husband is allergic. HOWEVER, I cannot honestly say that we've never made a mistake and brought out a plate with meat on it and gave it to a vegetarian or put granola on a parfait for a guest who is allergic (but immediately saw it when putting it down). We immediately take it back but I don't give them anything for free or take off money for such offense. It sounds like the tomatoes were on the side and not in the dish so it didn't affect his health. That's probably her reasoning although she needs to pay more attention to allergies as we all do! You'll want to plan to have a whiteboard on your refrigerator like mine - sometimes it has half a dozen allergies listed and it's hard to even make something that everyone can eat. It's getting even worse with lactose and gluten intolerances every day. But the only real way to stay on top of it is to have those allergies listed right in your face when making breakfast.
The acting innkeeper did agree to give you $30 off of your stay. Once she made this offer, if it wasn't acceptable to you, you should have said something right then. And I believe that since she did offer you something and you accepted it, then keep asking for more, she can report you to TripAdvisor for trying to blackmail her (their wording - not mine) into giving you the stay for free. It doesn't seem fair, but you'll find that with innkeeping the guest is always right and if not their TA review will make sure others know that they were right unless you can prove they broke TA's rules in the review.
As for not seeing the owner, there are many weekends that I don't see the guests and they only see my husband. I'm busy making breakfast and my husband is serving. They head out while I'm still cooking for others and they are gone for the day. I have two kids that are very busy teenagers and I'm not here lots in the afternoon as I'm taking them places and shopping for the Lodge. I've had guests mention it in TA reviews that they didn't meet me but at least they did meet my husband. And as someone said above, we've gotten reviews in the same week where people rave about how much my husband was around to help them while at the same time getting another review that they felt he was spying on them because he opened the door for them when they got back from dinner and then went into the great room to check if they needed anything about an hour later. You'll find that you can't win and it sounds like maybe this innkeeper is at the end of her ropes and has given up. It's not right, but I'm sure we've all had those days but actually did get out of our bathrobe before answering the door even though we didn't want to!!!! Good luck but at this point I'd probably just let it go and move onto other more deserving B&Bs (checking their reviews first).
Carol

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Did I read that you're planning to open a B&B but have never stayed at a B&B before? Seems funny as we were B&B people long before we decided to open a B&B and I can't imagine planning to open one without ever having experienced them. You mentioned TripAdvisor - did you research this B&B on TA before you booked? What are their reviews like from others?
Our photos are all done professionally and they stage everything. They bring in flowers, champagne bottles and glasses (actually pour some in) so that guests can "envision what a weekend will be like." In our photos, all of those things are staged in the rooms. I sell guests that same champagne & chocolate truffles and they can order bouquets in various dollar amounts - they are not free. In some room photos, there are open books, slippers by the bed, binoculars on the nightstand. So if these innkeepers were trying to stage their rooms to be like the pros, that would account for them being in the photos. I think most people know that this stuff isn't included (unless it specifically lists it out).
If the doorknob wasn't working they should have gotten someone in to repair it unless they can't get a repair man on the weekend. It's also not appropriate that they served you tomatoes when your husband is allergic. HOWEVER, I cannot honestly say that we've never made a mistake and brought out a plate with meat on it and gave it to a vegetarian or put granola on a parfait for a guest who is allergic (but immediately saw it when putting it down). We immediately take it back but I don't give them anything for free or take off money for such offense. It sounds like the tomatoes were on the side and not in the dish so it didn't affect his health. That's probably her reasoning although she needs to pay more attention to allergies as we all do! You'll want to plan to have a whiteboard on your refrigerator like mine - sometimes it has half a dozen allergies listed and it's hard to even make something that everyone can eat. It's getting even worse with lactose and gluten intolerances every day. But the only real way to stay on top of it is to have those allergies listed right in your face when making breakfast.
The acting innkeeper did agree to give you $30 off of your stay. Once she made this offer, if it wasn't acceptable to you, you should have said something right then. And I believe that since she did offer you something and you accepted it, then keep asking for more, she can report you to TripAdvisor for trying to blackmail her (their wording - not mine) into giving you the stay for free. It doesn't seem fair, but you'll find that with innkeeping the guest is always right and if not their TA review will make sure others know that they were right unless you can prove they broke TA's rules in the review.
As for not seeing the owner, there are many weekends that I don't see the guests and they only see my husband. I'm busy making breakfast and my husband is serving. They head out while I'm still cooking for others and they are gone for the day. I have two kids that are very busy teenagers and I'm not here lots in the afternoon as I'm taking them places and shopping for the Lodge. I've had guests mention it in TA reviews that they didn't meet me but at least they did meet my husband. And as someone said above, we've gotten reviews in the same week where people rave about how much my husband was around to help them while at the same time getting another review that they felt he was spying on them because he opened the door for them when they got back from dinner and then went into the great room to check if they needed anything about an hour later. You'll find that you can't win and it sounds like maybe this innkeeper is at the end of her ropes and has given up. It's not right, but I'm sure we've all had those days but actually did get out of our bathrobe before answering the door even though we didn't want to!!!! Good luck but at this point I'd probably just let it go and move onto other more deserving B&Bs (checking their reviews first).
Carol.
I actually "get" staging but it's the whole padded bra thing-IF it's in the photos (for me/us at least) then that's what you get. If there are flower arrangements in the room then you
GET flowers. Ditto fruit. Hopefully it won't be the exact same fruit-it does rot ya know >grins<, but there WILL be fruit. Yes I researched it on Trip Advisor and the good out weighed the bad for the most part, far from everything and, in retrospect, mostly for eople who had outside plans. Everything I've listed as issues WERE listed on site as being there. The White board thing is (or should be) a given. Major D'uh there. The $30 was from the OWNER and she was VERY put out and condescending about it despite our having made our feelings known thruout. I made it known at that time that it really wasn't acceptable however was far too tired and headachy after having been woken at 5.20 by the BLAZING light from the hall to deal with it right then-honestly it seemed like I was bothering her with legitimate concerns, so I dropped it for then. As to "meeting" the owner, no one the entire weekend EVER introduced themselves. If I hadn't stuck my hand out and voiced up I wouldn't know who was who. Coffee should be a 24/7 and an urn of hot water for tea. My take on it is leave as many French presses as set ups as you have rooms full and a Fresh-o-lator of grounds available and a 30 cup urn of hot water going all the time. I was promised, and this is a direct quote from their website-"sleep til noon and have breakfast in bed", not listed as an "extra" just as itself. There were issues with the door latch on TA dated 2004 so it's not like they had no clue about it. The bed, which they claimed was replaced in Feb. was lumpy as all hell. Gods, honestly-it just nbever stopped and out "relaxing" time ther was just one stressor after another.
Gryphon

I think it depends on the description - If it says Flowers and Fruit basket in every room, which from what Gryphon said seems to be the case - then there should be its that simple.
It is why im wary of putting things like that in photo's so people don't think they are included. I will however put in personal items so it looks a bit more "real" ie don't think a guest would think binoculars are included.

I think it depends on the description - If it says Flowers and Fruit basket in every room, which from what Gryphon said seems to be the case - then there should be its that simple.
It is why im wary of putting things like that in photo's so people don't think they are included. I will however put in personal items so it looks a bit more "real" ie don't think a guest would think binoculars are included..
I agree, if it is in the photo then it should be there. People DON'T read as we all know. They ASSUME.

Polyester sheets - These aren't the same polyester of the 70s, this is microfiber and some of the smoothest and most comfortable sheets today. They are also laundry friendly (they dry much quicker and don't wrinkle very much.) The Comphy sheets that so many rave about our polyester. I think in this case this is a matter of older perceptions clouding the matter.
When a B&B has a few bad reviews the question is always this... are the bad reviews because of the visitor or because of the innkeeper? So often the reviews are really not about the inn or innkeeper but about the reviewer. I know this from first hand experience, one of my recent reviews was a giant personal attack at me. But when it isn't, that's when you need to be careful.
Going to see B&Bs also lets you see what NOT to do. This is a good example. Pets, even the B&Bs personal pets should be mentioned for those with allergies. I won't stay anywhere there is a dog or cat because of my allergies. I have odd reactions to antihistimines, even the non-drowsy ones, so it will ruin a vacation for me.
Also remember that each B&B is unique. Around where I live, B&Bs are less expensive that hotels and offer a much more personal experience without the frills you find at others. Our guests would never expect flowers or fruit in the room. We have no coffee makers in the rooms, no coffee service available outside of breakfast (we do offer tea, but not coffee). And we don't serve a snack.

Polyester sheets - These aren't the same polyester of the 70s, this is microfiber and some of the smoothest and most comfortable sheets today. They are also laundry friendly (they dry much quicker and don't wrinkle very much.) The Comphy sheets that so many rave about our polyester. I think in this case this is a matter of older perceptions clouding the matter.
When a B&B has a few bad reviews the question is always this... are the bad reviews because of the visitor or because of the innkeeper? So often the reviews are really not about the inn or innkeeper but about the reviewer. I know this from first hand experience, one of my recent reviews was a giant personal attack at me. But when it isn't, that's when you need to be careful.
Going to see B&Bs also lets you see what NOT to do. This is a good example. Pets, even the B&Bs personal pets should be mentioned for those with allergies. I won't stay anywhere there is a dog or cat because of my allergies. I have odd reactions to antihistimines, even the non-drowsy ones, so it will ruin a vacation for me.
Also remember that each B&B is unique. Around where I live, B&Bs are less expensive that hotels and offer a much more personal experience without the frills you find at others. Our guests would never expect flowers or fruit in the room. We have no coffee makers in the rooms, no coffee service available outside of breakfast (we do offer tea, but not coffee). And we don't serve a snack..
The sheets, as mentioned before, were stiff and VERY wrinkled. Just nasty. Maybe they were left in the basket in a wad to dry? Looked and felt it. As to the coffee thing-I would have been happy with a cuppa before breakfast, would have been fine. I also didn't mind not having a coffee maker in the room but nothing was ever offered and I kept having to hunt her up The only pet mentioned was a garden cat (ie outdoor cat), frankly she looked a bit mangy so we managed to avoid contct so as to not take anything back to our cat.
Gryphon

Gryphon.
Gryphon said:
Gryphon
If a guest said that I may show them to the door. That is how I would react. You have a laundry list that is way way too long to please. You found fault in absolutely everything. You would make a great innkeeper, you would be obsessive over every little detail and probably run yourself into the ground in no time, as it is impossible to be perfect in every guest's eyes.

Gryphon.
Gryphon said:
Gryphon
If a guest said that I may show them to the door. That is how I would react. You have a laundry list that is way way too long to please. You found fault in absolutely everything. You would make a great innkeeper, you would be obsessive over every little detail and probably run yourself into the ground in no time, as it is impossible to be perfect in every guest's eyes.
Joey Bloggs said:
Gryphon said:
Gryphon
I'm with JB on this one. This has all gone on longer than it's worth talking about. You found one of the bad ones. Shame on them. Obviously their place isn't as nice as their website suggests. Point made. Repeatedly. Time to stop dwelling on it and move on.

Gryphon,
Your complaints just keep coming which you warned us there were more in the beginning!
I just can not get past this one question: WHY WOULD YOU STAY the entire weekend when you were not happy from the moment you arrived?

Also remember that each B&B is unique. Around where I live, B&Bs are less expensive that hotels and offer a much more personal experience without the frills you find at others. Our guests would never expect flowers or fruit in the room. We have no coffee makers in the rooms, no coffee service available outside of breakfast (we do offer tea, but not coffee). And we don't serve a snack..
The sheets, as mentioned before, were stiff and VERY wrinkled. Just nasty. Maybe they were left in the basket in a wad to dry? Looked and felt it. As to the coffee thing-I would have been happy with a cuppa before breakfast, would have been fine. I also didn't mind not having a coffee maker in the room but nothing was ever offered and I kept having to hunt her up The only pet mentioned was a garden cat (ie outdoor cat), frankly she looked a bit mangy so we managed to avoid contct so as to not take anything back to our cat.
Gryphon
Okay. Instead of complaining to us, why don't you tell us what you have learnt from this experience that will help with your future business.
For example:
  • Sheets should be immediately folded when removed from dryer.
  • Sheets need fabric softener.
  • Brand X polyester sheets aren't good for a B&B.
  • Pictures with fruit basket should only be used if fruit basket is included.
  • Locks should be checked periodically.
  • etc...

Gryphon.
Gryphon said:
Gryphon
@JoeyBloggs-you sweet talker you!!!! Thank you!
kiss.gif
As to the burnout issue, yeah probably but considering I've been running on about 5 hours sleep a night for 30+ years and never stop during my day it may actually take longer than you think. Between the chickens, the garden, being the only driver and living WAAAAYYYY out in the country so there's work and school and etc, doing the grocery shopping and all the housewife stuff, volunteer work at the local food bank and I work 30-40 hours a week at a local catering/restaurant and and all while raising an adult child with autism. LOL relax? what's that?
Gryphon

Gryphon
Okay. Instead of complaining to us, why don't you tell us what you have learnt from this experience that will help with your future business.
For example:
  • etc...
Sorry didn't mean to come across as complaining, simply looking for options as to hoow to handle the issue.
As to what I learned-major case of what NOT to do. I get that. I have a 5 inch loose leaf started that about half full of notes in order of rooms, the bathrooms, dining area, kitchen, menus, grounds, what to have in the rooms, how to clean the rooms and what schedule to completely turn them over, amenities to be offered, various packages on offer and a baseline figure of what each will cost (adjustments to be made to final figures due to inflation), I also have lists of people to do things like website, laundry, cleaning, fireplace maintance, music, bookkeeping and etc. The only thing we are really waiting for insofar as the move goes is my daughter graduating high school.
Gryphon

Carol.
@MtnKeeper-why a b&b? About 5 years ago I wasn't happy where I was nor with what I was doing. I sat down and reassessed my skills, strengths and weaknesses, what I loved and hated insofar as jobs go, what resources/skills I had and could garner and started making lists of options. It was the most logical step for us. Things are falling ionto place very well and a bit quicker than we'd hoped. It's great.
Gryphon

Gryphon
For example:
  • etc...
Sorry didn't mean to come across as complaining, simply looking for options as to hoow to handle the issue.
As to what I learned-major case of what NOT to do. I get that. I have a 5 inch loose leaf started that about half full of notes in order of rooms, the bathrooms, dining area, kitchen, menus, grounds, what to have in the rooms, how to clean the rooms and what schedule to completely turn them over, amenities to be offered, various packages on offer and a baseline figure of what each will cost (adjustments to be made to final figures due to inflation), I also have lists of people to do things like website, laundry, cleaning, fireplace maintance, music, bookkeeping and etc. The only thing we are really waiting for insofar as the move goes is my daughter graduating high school.
Gryphon
Gryphon said:
As to what I learned-major case of what NOT to do. I get that.
I think most of us have enough bad experiences to realize those are not the ways we want to run the inn, but we all have our weaknesses and forest-thru-the-trees moments. One of the things we can ALL AGREE UPON is that innkeepers really do need to go and visit other B&B's, for research if for no other reason.
Maybe being a guest they will see that bringing overnight stuff with they are not providing enough space for guests stuff at their own inn. Or if they may not themselves be coffee drinkers, so are not concerned with coffee being a priority. We have this discussion here.
For most of us the tone of everything being wrong and not getting satisfaction was what was getting clearer and clearer vs what was wrong.
All the best in your research and future experiences!

Gryphon
For example:
  • etc...
Gryphon
Gryphon said:
I think most of us have enough bad experiences to realize those are not the ways we want to run the inn, but we all have our weaknesses and forest-thru-the-trees moments. One of the things we can ALL AGREE UPON is that innkeepers really do need to go and visit other B&B's, for research if for no other reason.
Maybe being a guest they will see that bringing overnight stuff with they are not providing enough space for guests stuff at their own inn. Or if they may not themselves be coffee drinkers, so are not concerned with coffee being a priority. We have this discussion here.
For most of us the tone of everything being wrong and not getting satisfaction was what was getting clearer and clearer vs what was wrong.
Building new spaces... you need lots of plugs next to beds because everyone seems to have a CPAP machine today along with a smart phone. And even if you have USB plugs, most people can't figure out how to use them because their kids haven't taught them :)

Gryphon
For example:
  • etc...
Gryphon
Gryphon said:
Building new spaces... you need lots of plugs next to beds because everyone seems to have a CPAP machine today along with a smart phone. And even if you have USB plugs, most people can't figure out how to use them because their kids haven't taught them :)
Jon Sable said:
Have you ever seen the comedian Sinbad talking about C-Pap machines?

Gryphon
For example:
  • etc...
Gryphon
You've done all you can to handle the issue.
Probably the most straightforward thing to do should something like this happen again is to state your problems to the innkeeper, listen to the response, and go from there.
Let the innkeeper know what you are experiencing is unacceptable, you want a different room, you want what is shown in the photos or you want your money back so you can go elsewhere.
We had a whole house here for a reunion. I explained to the organizer that we would put out a buffet for breakfast so they could help themselves and allow the teens to sleep in a bit.
They came, ate everything on the buffet and asked when we would start breakfast. We stuttered. I went over the buffet and said this was what was arranged.
Oh no! They exclaimed! You have all of this on your website and that's what we want! They actually pulled out a laptop, got our breakfast page and pointed to the photos. All of them. All of the different breakfast items I had photos of. THAT was the buffet they wanted.
Quiche, French toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, everything on the page they wanted us to cook for them every morning.
We had nothing in the house but what we planned for the buffet. We had to tell them we couldn't do that but would bring in provisions to make ONE item in the morning.
They were very unhappy.

Gryphon
For example:
  • etc...
Gryphon
You've done all you can to handle the issue.
Probably the most straightforward thing to do should something like this happen again is to state your problems to the innkeeper, listen to the response, and go from there.
Let the innkeeper know what you are experiencing is unacceptable, you want a different room, you want what is shown in the photos or you want your money back so you can go elsewhere.
We had a whole house here for a reunion. I explained to the organizer that we would put out a buffet for breakfast so they could help themselves and allow the teens to sleep in a bit.
They came, ate everything on the buffet and asked when we would start breakfast. We stuttered. I went over the buffet and said this was what was arranged.
Oh no! They exclaimed! You have all of this on your website and that's what we want! They actually pulled out a laptop, got our breakfast page and pointed to the photos. All of them. All of the different breakfast items I had photos of. THAT was the buffet they wanted.
Quiche, French toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, everything on the page they wanted us to cook for them every morning.
We had nothing in the house but what we planned for the buffet. We had to tell them we couldn't do that but would bring in provisions to make ONE item in the morning.
They were very unhappy.
Oh brother...so better rethink some of those breakfast photos. Preface saying breakfast is one main course only not a buffet!!!

Back