Bizarreness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polyester sheets - These aren't the same polyester of the 70s, this is microfiber and some of the smoothest and most comfortable sheets today. They are also laundry friendly (they dry much quicker and don't wrinkle very much.) The Comphy sheets that so many rave about our polyester. I think in this case this is a matter of older perceptions clouding the matter.
When a B&B has a few bad reviews the question is always this... are the bad reviews because of the visitor or because of the innkeeper? So often the reviews are really not about the inn or innkeeper but about the reviewer. I know this from first hand experience, one of my recent reviews was a giant personal attack at me. But when it isn't, that's when you need to be careful.
Going to see B&Bs also lets you see what NOT to do. This is a good example. Pets, even the B&Bs personal pets should be mentioned for those with allergies. I won't stay anywhere there is a dog or cat because of my allergies. I have odd reactions to antihistimines, even the non-drowsy ones, so it will ruin a vacation for me.
Also remember that each B&B is unique. Around where I live, B&Bs are less expensive that hotels and offer a much more personal experience without the frills you find at others. Our guests would never expect flowers or fruit in the room. We have no coffee makers in the rooms, no coffee service available outside of breakfast (we do offer tea, but not coffee). And we don't serve a snack..
The sheets, as mentioned before, were stiff and VERY wrinkled. Just nasty. Maybe they were left in the basket in a wad to dry? Looked and felt it. As to the coffee thing-I would have been happy with a cuppa before breakfast, would have been fine. I also didn't mind not having a coffee maker in the room but nothing was ever offered and I kept having to hunt her up The only pet mentioned was a garden cat (ie outdoor cat), frankly she looked a bit mangy so we managed to avoid contct so as to not take anything back to our cat.
Gryphon
Okay. Instead of complaining to us, why don't you tell us what you have learnt from this experience that will help with your future business.
For example:
  • Sheets should be immediately folded when removed from dryer.
  • Sheets need fabric softener.
  • Brand X polyester sheets aren't good for a B&B.
  • Pictures with fruit basket should only be used if fruit basket is included.
  • Locks should be checked periodically.
  • etc...
Sorry didn't mean to come across as complaining, simply looking for options as to hoow to handle the issue.
As to what I learned-major case of what NOT to do. I get that. I have a 5 inch loose leaf started that about half full of notes in order of rooms, the bathrooms, dining area, kitchen, menus, grounds, what to have in the rooms, how to clean the rooms and what schedule to completely turn them over, amenities to be offered, various packages on offer and a baseline figure of what each will cost (adjustments to be made to final figures due to inflation), I also have lists of people to do things like website, laundry, cleaning, fireplace maintance, music, bookkeeping and etc. The only thing we are really waiting for insofar as the move goes is my daughter graduating high school.
Gryphon
Gryphon said:
Sorry didn't mean to come across as complaining, simply looking for options as to hoow to handle the issue.
As to what I learned-major case of what NOT to do. I get that.
I think most of us have enough bad experiences to realize those are not the ways we want to run the inn, but we all have our weaknesses and forest-thru-the-trees moments. One of the things we can ALL AGREE UPON is that innkeepers really do need to go and visit other B&B's, for research if for no other reason.
Maybe being a guest they will see that bringing overnight stuff with they are not providing enough space for guests stuff at their own inn. Or if they may not themselves be coffee drinkers, so are not concerned with coffee being a priority. We have this discussion here.
For most of us the tone of everything being wrong and not getting satisfaction was what was getting clearer and clearer vs what was wrong.
All the best in your research and future experiences!
Building new spaces... you need lots of plugs next to beds because everyone seems to have a CPAP machine today along with a smart phone. And even if you have USB plugs, most people can't figure out how to use them because their kids haven't taught them :)
Jon Sable said:
Building new spaces... you need lots of plugs next to beds because everyone seems to have a CPAP machine today along with a smart phone. And even if you have USB plugs, most people can't figure out how to use them because their kids haven't taught them :)
Have you ever seen the comedian Sinbad talking about C-Pap machines?
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Have you ever seen the comedian Sinbad talking about C-Pap machines?
Nope.
There is a scene in a movie where this guy overloads the circuit at a B&B and the fuse pops and all of a sudden the place sounds like a war zone from all the snoring.

Polyester sheets - These aren't the same polyester of the 70s, this is microfiber and some of the smoothest and most comfortable sheets today. They are also laundry friendly (they dry much quicker and don't wrinkle very much.) The Comphy sheets that so many rave about our polyester. I think in this case this is a matter of older perceptions clouding the matter.
When a B&B has a few bad reviews the question is always this... are the bad reviews because of the visitor or because of the innkeeper? So often the reviews are really not about the inn or innkeeper but about the reviewer. I know this from first hand experience, one of my recent reviews was a giant personal attack at me. But when it isn't, that's when you need to be careful.
Going to see B&Bs also lets you see what NOT to do. This is a good example. Pets, even the B&Bs personal pets should be mentioned for those with allergies. I won't stay anywhere there is a dog or cat because of my allergies. I have odd reactions to antihistimines, even the non-drowsy ones, so it will ruin a vacation for me.
Also remember that each B&B is unique. Around where I live, B&Bs are less expensive that hotels and offer a much more personal experience without the frills you find at others. Our guests would never expect flowers or fruit in the room. We have no coffee makers in the rooms, no coffee service available outside of breakfast (we do offer tea, but not coffee). And we don't serve a snack..
The sheets, as mentioned before, were stiff and VERY wrinkled. Just nasty. Maybe they were left in the basket in a wad to dry? Looked and felt it. As to the coffee thing-I would have been happy with a cuppa before breakfast, would have been fine. I also didn't mind not having a coffee maker in the room but nothing was ever offered and I kept having to hunt her up The only pet mentioned was a garden cat (ie outdoor cat), frankly she looked a bit mangy so we managed to avoid contct so as to not take anything back to our cat.
Gryphon
Okay. Instead of complaining to us, why don't you tell us what you have learnt from this experience that will help with your future business.
For example:
  • Sheets should be immediately folded when removed from dryer.
  • Sheets need fabric softener.
  • Brand X polyester sheets aren't good for a B&B.
  • Pictures with fruit basket should only be used if fruit basket is included.
  • Locks should be checked periodically.
  • etc...
As to what I learned-major case of what NOT to do. I get that. I have a 5 inch loose leaf started that about half full of notes in order of rooms, the bathrooms, dining area, kitchen, menus, grounds, what to have in the rooms, how to clean the rooms and what schedule to completely turn them over, amenities to be offered, various packages on offer and a baseline figure of what each will cost (adjustments to be made to final figures due to inflation), I also have lists of people to do things like website, laundry, cleaning, fireplace maintance, music, bookkeeping and etc. The only thing we are really waiting for insofar as the move goes is my daughter graduating high school.
Gryphon
You've done all you can to handle the issue.
Probably the most straightforward thing to do should something like this happen again is to state your problems to the innkeeper, listen to the response, and go from there.
Let the innkeeper know what you are experiencing is unacceptable, you want a different room, you want what is shown in the photos or you want your money back so you can go elsewhere.
We had a whole house here for a reunion. I explained to the organizer that we would put out a buffet for breakfast so they could help themselves and allow the teens to sleep in a bit.
They came, ate everything on the buffet and asked when we would start breakfast. We stuttered. I went over the buffet and said this was what was arranged.
Oh no! They exclaimed! You have all of this on your website and that's what we want! They actually pulled out a laptop, got our breakfast page and pointed to the photos. All of them. All of the different breakfast items I had photos of. THAT was the buffet they wanted.
Quiche, French toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, everything on the page they wanted us to cook for them every morning.
We had nothing in the house but what we planned for the buffet. We had to tell them we couldn't do that but would bring in provisions to make ONE item in the morning.
They were very unhappy.
Oh brother...so better rethink some of those breakfast photos. Preface saying breakfast is one main course only not a buffet!!!
I think it's pretty clear and even pointed it out to them that it's only one item per morning. There was a lot of personal stuff going on in the family and everyone was trying to outdo the other on being assertive.
One of them ended up in the hospital with heart problems and another was sent home crying. (Not by us!)

I suppose the real question is this-if one of your guests unfavourably compared your establishment to a Motel 6 (or similar) what would be your reaction? How would you make it better for your guest? Given that nothing mentioned was incorrect and everything was brought up to you at the time.
Gryphon.
Gryphon said:
I suppose the real question is this-if one of your guests unfavourably compared your establishment to a Motel 6 (or similar) what would be your reaction? How would you make it better for your guest? Given that nothing mentioned was incorrect and everything was brought up to you at the time.
Gryphon
If a guest said that I may show them to the door. That is how I would react. You have a laundry list that is way way too long to please. You found fault in absolutely everything. You would make a great innkeeper, you would be obsessive over every little detail and probably run yourself into the ground in no time, as it is impossible to be perfect in every guest's eyes.
@JoeyBloggs-you sweet talker you!!!! Thank you!
kiss.gif
As to the burnout issue, yeah probably but considering I've been running on about 5 hours sleep a night for 30+ years and never stop during my day it may actually take longer than you think. Between the chickens, the garden, being the only driver and living WAAAAYYYY out in the country so there's work and school and etc, doing the grocery shopping and all the housewife stuff, volunteer work at the local food bank and I work 30-40 hours a week at a local catering/restaurant and and all while raising an adult child with autism. LOL relax? what's that?
Gryphon
Gryphon said:
kiss.gif
As to the burnout issue, yeah probably but considering I've been running on about 5 hours sleep a night for 30+ years and never stop during my day it may actually take longer than you think. Between the chickens, the garden, being the only driver and living WAAAAYYYY out in the country so there's work and school and etc, doing the grocery shopping and all the housewife stuff, volunteer work at the local food bank and I work 30-40 hours a week at a local catering/restaurant and and all while raising an adult child with autism. LOL relax? what's that?
Gryphon
And? Most of the people on this site would be able to say to that list - and? In my pre-inn days I had full-time (40), part-time (16 - 24), and kids while being a room mother, PTA officer, chaperoning field trips, and picking/canning many bushels of fruits and vegetables every year for our large family.... Big Whoop. Since opening I have gone thru Himself having an aortic aneurysm, 6-way bypass, fem-pop, radium seeds.... again Big whoop. Everyone has their hands full with life. Not many innkeepers were the ones pre-inn sitting on their tush eating bon-bons.
Not meaning to be snarky, just want you to know life dishes things up and we suck it up or fold. I learned a long time ago that if I thought I had it tough, all I had to do was look around and someone else was having it tougher. (Yes, some were "skating" but all I could do about that was be green with envy.)

Gryphon.
Gryphon said:
Gryphon
If a guest said that I may show them to the door. That is how I would react. You have a laundry list that is way way too long to please. You found fault in absolutely everything. You would make a great innkeeper, you would be obsessive over every little detail and probably run yourself into the ground in no time, as it is impossible to be perfect in every guest's eyes.
kiss.gif
Gryphon
Gryphon said:
kiss.gif
Gryphon
And? Most of the people on this site would be able to say to that list - and? In my pre-inn days I had full-time (40), part-time (16 - 24), and kids while being a room mother, PTA officer, chaperoning field trips, and picking/canning many bushels of fruits and vegetables every year for our large family.... Big Whoop. Since opening I have gone thru Himself having an aortic aneurysm, 6-way bypass, fem-pop, radium seeds.... again Big whoop. Everyone has their hands full with life. Not many innkeepers were the ones pre-inn sitting on their tush eating bon-bons.
Not meaning to be snarky, just want you to know life dishes things up and we suck it up or fold. I learned a long time ago that if I thought I had it tough, all I had to do was look around and someone else was having it tougher. (Yes, some were "skating" but all I could do about that was be green with envy.)
LOL! Agree totally on the Life Happens thang. Living in a town chockablock full of ex Pageant Queens who are more worried about their mani/pedis and trying to get an even tan than their kids-I'm out of practice with talking with people who actually work for a living.
Gryphon

Back