Bkng phoned

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
I'm away in another state with DH in hospital:(
Doing inn stuff via phone and iPad, which at this time of year is fine. Yesterday my phone rang and the caller identified as being from boo k ng
Due to the kind postings of users here who have had problems with keeping control of their own inventory while using that particular service - I told the caller "I'm familiar with your company. It is not appropriate for our inn - would you please remove our number from your solicitation list". He proceeded to begin his spiel. I interrupted - saying " Did you just ignore my question?" He hesitated just long enough for me to add "This behavior is EXACTLY why I do not want to do business with your company - thank you" and I clicked off.
He followed up with an email saying he will be in our area next week and would like to stop by to talk about "how you achieve your excellent reviews"
I'm ignoring the email.
Sheesh.
I know this service works for many here on the forum - the the kind of problems related by some of the inns of our size would at the minimum - require more keeping-tabs-on-them and scrutiny time than I am able to give in our high season.
I don't want to risk our reputation if guests assume boo k ng's policies and ours are the same in case of cancellation. I don't want to have to constantly keep tabs on their description of our inn.
OK rant over.

It is companies who keep contacting after being told not to that reinforces my determination to NOT use them.

Hope your hubby is doing better soon!
Good response to the phone call. They can be incessant, but not as bad as Yelp!

May your Hubs get totally better and you have many more years with each other. Take care of YOU also.

It is companies who keep contacting after being told not to that reinforces my determination to NOT use them..
I tell anyone who calls and tried to flog me goods or services "I don't do business with companies that cold-call", like your experience anon, most just carry on talking. They seem to think that by talking very fast and either ignoring you or not giving you a chance to get a word in edgewise they'll convince you. Doesn't work on me.

"We don't accept phone solicitations" is our standard answer. Followed immediately by [CLICK].

On the phone, I play as if I'm a reservation service. Then I log their number in the call block list. From then on the only answer they will ever hear is my answering machine. EVER.

On the phone, I play as if I'm a reservation service. Then I log their number in the call block list. From then on the only answer they will ever hear is my answering machine. EVER..
If it's a new one, I look up the number on 800 notes. Unfortunately, too many times the phone number is spoofed so it belongs to a real person who is not a telemarketer.
We have the ability to block only 30 numbers. It takes me about 3 days to fill that up. 90% of telemarketer calls are a different number every time.
Example - better merchant uses a different number for every call they make. They call 3-4 times every day. Marketing solutions is another one.

On the phone, I play as if I'm a reservation service. Then I log their number in the call block list. From then on the only answer they will ever hear is my answering machine. EVER..
If it's a new one, I look up the number on 800 notes. Unfortunately, too many times the phone number is spoofed so it belongs to a real person who is not a telemarketer.
We have the ability to block only 30 numbers. It takes me about 3 days to fill that up. 90% of telemarketer calls are a different number every time.
Example - better merchant uses a different number for every call they make. They call 3-4 times every day. Marketing solutions is another one.
My standard routine. I'm a reservation desk located in _______, I can take your reservation, answer your questions, but that's all I can help you with.
The next question is always asking for the office number. The answer is "Sorry, I'm not allowed to do that, I would lose my job. You don't want me to lose my job, do you?"
Not much they can do after that. They usually never call back because they can't get to anyone who can buy. They often click off faster than I can click off.

My standard routine. I'm a reservation desk located in _______, I can take your reservation, answer your questions, but that's all I can help you with.
The next question is always asking for the office number. The answer is "Sorry, I'm not allowed to do that, I would lose my job. You don't want me to lose my job, do you?"
Not much they can do after that. They usually never call back because they can't get to anyone who can buy. They often click off faster than I can click off.
Generic said:
Yes, that's what I like for a response. Especially when callers ask for Gomez. Sometimes Gomez Addams. You know, the owner. I tell callers he's not the owner and I'm not sure where they got that info but if they bought it, they paid for bad info.

Which kind of loops back to my point about not dealing with cold-callers.
If telemarketers are having to change their number or use numbers that bypass peoples blocking facilities aren't they just finding ways of getting through to people who are going to slam the phone down anyway?
Or do you have to be incredibly conceited to be a telemarketer and believe that everyone wants your product, you just have to say the right thing.

Generic said:
Yes, that's what I like for a response. Especially when callers ask for Gomez. Sometimes Gomez Addams. You know, the owner. I tell callers he's not the owner and I'm not sure where they got that info but if they bought it, they paid for bad info.
Okay, my worst.... when they ask to speak to Mrs. Specific. I always tell them that by that definition, I'm Mrs. Specific and at that point they really don't have a chance at a sale, do they?

Back