Blended Searches

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info! I don't do videos on my own website, but it's really good info for my next aspiring seminar.

I will reserve my judgement on it until SWIRT says ok:) I don't agre with the first line..getting yourself on the first page of google. VERY misleading:-(

Every time I go to click on a news item (title) that catches my eye a video starts to load. I guess I am not patient enough (or should I insert the famous "people don't read!" quote here) to see it is a video news item.
I get annoyed as I don't want to WATCH news, but read it.
Does anyone have the stats on who and how many are viewing videos in OUR FIELD now? I mean, is the general populous into B&B videos? What length is best? I know i have a few short clips of various 'regional' things on our B&B website, and those who have copies of commercials or news items featuring their B&B SHOULD DEFINATELY get on their website somewhere. Any idea?

The article is a bit loose with the details. Notice the top searches they used in the experiment were never revealed. Quite likely they were not travel searches. Travel searches rarely turn up video as part of the results. The other thing that the article leaves off completely is the conversion. Just because a video shows up in the results, is someone going to click on it, watch it (on you tube) and then end up on your website to book a stay.
A search for Vermont Bed and Breakfast turns up no video but a seach for Steve Jobs Apple does. A search for Visit New York turns up two and the how to visit NY on $100 actually might get me there, the other video does nothing for me. So the video would have to be well planned out to appeal to people coming to your area, but not be so narrow of focus as to just be about your B&B.
Don't get me wrong, I think video can be a good idea. I just don't think it is the automatic trip to the top of the page that the article suggests it is.
The advice of naming your video files and posting them on you tube is a little disconnected. No matter what you name your video file, once you upload it to youtube, the file name becomes a meaningless sequence of numbers and letters. That is why it is important to fill in the title and other supporting info about the movie content. If you placed the video on your own site directly (without using youtube) then naming the file well would give a slight bit of help, but not much. Better help would be related terms on the page. The best optimization would be to make sure the text actually used in the link(s) to the video are well tuned for the words you want it to show up for.
My hangup with videos is that they can be good or horrible, the same way photos can. Shooting video is more complex than shooting a photo so there is more to screwup. I don't suggest people use cellphone video any more than I suggest they use cellphone photos.

The article is a bit loose with the details. Notice the top searches they used in the experiment were never revealed. Quite likely they were not travel searches. Travel searches rarely turn up video as part of the results. The other thing that the article leaves off completely is the conversion. Just because a video shows up in the results, is someone going to click on it, watch it (on you tube) and then end up on your website to book a stay.
A search for Vermont Bed and Breakfast turns up no video but a seach for Steve Jobs Apple does. A search for Visit New York turns up two and the how to visit NY on $100 actually might get me there, the other video does nothing for me. So the video would have to be well planned out to appeal to people coming to your area, but not be so narrow of focus as to just be about your B&B.
Don't get me wrong, I think video can be a good idea. I just don't think it is the automatic trip to the top of the page that the article suggests it is.
The advice of naming your video files and posting them on you tube is a little disconnected. No matter what you name your video file, once you upload it to youtube, the file name becomes a meaningless sequence of numbers and letters. That is why it is important to fill in the title and other supporting info about the movie content. If you placed the video on your own site directly (without using youtube) then naming the file well would give a slight bit of help, but not much. Better help would be related terms on the page. The best optimization would be to make sure the text actually used in the link(s) to the video are well tuned for the words you want it to show up for.
My hangup with videos is that they can be good or horrible, the same way photos can. Shooting video is more complex than shooting a photo so there is more to screwup. I don't suggest people use cellphone video any more than I suggest they use cellphone photos..
Now for my question. I have a 60 second video of WV & Shinnston/Gillum House that I want to know if I should have it put on my website (also have 30 second version). It is already on the City's web site www.shinnstonwv.com Check it out and tell me what you think. WV has first 25 seconds, the City the next 20 and I have 10 then the State has the last 5 seconds. In the 30 second version there is no State and the ending has the State logo stuff (required) showng on my front porch. Let me know what you think - would the video be helpful?

My hangup with videos is that they can be good or horrible, the same way photos can. Shooting video is more complex than shooting a photo so there is more to screwup. I don't suggest people use cellphone video any more than I suggest they use cellphone photos..
Now for my question. I have a 60 second video of WV & Shinnston/Gillum House that I want to know if I should have it put on my website (also have 30 second version). It is already on the City's web site www.shinnstonwv.com Check it out and tell me what you think. WV has first 25 seconds, the City the next 20 and I have 10 then the State has the last 5 seconds. In the 30 second version there is no State and the ending has the State logo stuff (required) showng on my front porch. Let me know what you think - would the video be helpful?
gillumhouse said:
KATHLEEN PANEK!!! YOU DIRTY DOG! YOU BETTER GET THAT ON THERE STAT!
That is a fantastic video and showcases YOUR B&B!!! Hurry up! Do it now!!!

gillumhouse said:
Helps being the only one in town! I got the City to go halfers with me on this as a TV commercial a couple years ago. It was filmed by professionals and I negotiated for DVD, VHS, and b-roll of it as part of the fee. We did it with a grant which is why the Tourism logo is there but the whole thing - one week running in 2 different TV areas and production/purchase cost each of us less than $400 after the reimbursement. And since we bought it, we can use it wherever. I wanted to be the last thing they saw before the logo.
I am in the process of having my site spiffed/optimized whatever and will ask my web person about adding it. Soon.

gillumhouse said:
Hey, that's neat! I couldn't hear it though....my cat layed on my laptop and I can't figure out what happened to the audio!
sad_smile.gif
I would put it on your website. People that don't want to watch the video don't have to but the ones that want to watch will!

gillumhouse said:
Helps being the only one in town! I got the City to go halfers with me on this as a TV commercial a couple years ago. It was filmed by professionals and I negotiated for DVD, VHS, and b-roll of it as part of the fee. We did it with a grant which is why the Tourism logo is there but the whole thing - one week running in 2 different TV areas and production/purchase cost each of us less than $400 after the reimbursement. And since we bought it, we can use it wherever. I wanted to be the last thing they saw before the logo.
I am in the process of having my site spiffed/optimized whatever and will ask my web person about adding it. Soon.
gillumhouse said:
I thought it was really great! Make sure it is double that size or that the viewer can optimize the size of the player - as I had to squint to see it. Fantastic video! GG I have good speakers on this pc and the sound was booming in stereo! That was a great part of it too, the narration.

Back