Bless his heart!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
"Looking forward to staying with you in a couple of weeks. However, I will be the only one staying. My wife will not be joining me. Should my cost only be $85/nite? looking forward to the visit. please advise."
$85 would be HALF the published room rate! Oh, that was a great belly laugh...

Well, isn't a 2-fer in the grocery only half when you only get one? Guess he thinks you will only have to wash half the sheets if he is the only one sleeping in the bed. Ask him which half he wants from the previous guest.

No coffee, no breakfast, no bathroom--how bout that for half off? and only hafl the room below your shinns--ha ha, people just kill me.

Guests call after 9pm cannot work out how to park their car. They make it all the way here from Texas but can't figure out how to park. Would you be embarrassed? I mean we say where to park like 4 times before they arrive in writing, if it were me and late I would just park out front and check in, already!
This morning they do not show for breakfast and15 minutes of waiting I DID GO AND KNOCK ON THEIR DOOR! As the self check in note said in BOLD "PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WILL NOT BE HAVING BREAKFAST AT 9AM" and now "where is the hair dryer? Holy cow, what are you blind? LOOK IN YOUR ROOM YOU WILL SEE IT.
I am so not in a very tolerant of goofy guests mode right now.
whattha.gif
As we say, when we have to babysit them day in and day out, we lose patience!

Guests call after 9pm cannot work out how to park their car. They make it all the way here from Texas but can't figure out how to park. Would you be embarrassed? I mean we say where to park like 4 times before they arrive in writing, if it were me and late I would just park out front and check in, already!
This morning they do not show for breakfast and15 minutes of waiting I DID GO AND KNOCK ON THEIR DOOR! As the self check in note said in BOLD "PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WILL NOT BE HAVING BREAKFAST AT 9AM" and now "where is the hair dryer? Holy cow, what are you blind? LOOK IN YOUR ROOM YOU WILL SEE IT.
whattha.gif
As we say, when we have to babysit them day in and day out, we lose patience!.
Joey Bloggs said:
The motto this year? 'I am not your mother.'

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Argh, I feel your pain. These are the kinds of people who are the exception to our rule of not waiting for late check-ins. 99% of the time it works out just fine, but the other 1% you get these people who have just no clue on anything...you truly start to wonder how they manage the rest of their lives when you are not there to do EVERYTHING for them!

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Argh, I feel your pain. These are the kinds of people who are the exception to our rule of not waiting for late check-ins. 99% of the time it works out just fine, but the other 1% you get these people who have just no clue on anything...you truly start to wonder how they manage the rest of their lives when you are not there to do EVERYTHING for them!
and I guarantee they won't be checked out by 11am. You know this is the case, it just won't happen.

Half price and the room is yours for just the odd hours of the day. We have someone else to rent the room on the even hours, to make up the full room charge.
tounge_smile.gif

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
and I guarantee they won't be checked out by 11am. You know this is the case, it just won't happen.
Do you have the magic innkeeper 7th sense of who will overstay their welcome or will not check-out until 11 AM exactly? I can almost guarantee at check-in which guests will test my patience by showing up at 9:30 on the dot for breakfast, eating slowly and then announcing they are off to take showers so 'what time is check-out again?' and they'll be at the desk at 11 or after. Not a moment before.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Do you have the magic innkeeper 7th sense of who will overstay their welcome or will not check-out until 11 AM exactly? I can almost guarantee at check-in which guests will test my patience by showing up at 9:30 on the dot for breakfast, eating slowly and then announcing they are off to take showers so 'what time is check-out again?' and they'll be at the desk at 11 or after. Not a moment before.
YES! And then I wonder if it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I think you really can tell. The gift certificate people always check-in early and check-out late (gotta get all my free stuff!). Couples on a get-a-way like to dilly dally over coffee, eat breakfast, talk to everyone, THEN go race to shower at 10:30. We knock on doors at 11, we've got stuff to do.
I was just borderline rude to a check-in arriving 2 hours early. I thought the front door was locked but one of our helpful stay over guests must have opened it (grrr..). I am on the phone, hear the little "dingy" bell ring at the front desk. It takes a moment to wrap up the call, so I take the cordless headset with me and start heading out to see who's at the door before they get too far into the house. Sure enough, they are in the dining room looking for coffee and say "Oh, on the phone" as I walk out. We know we're early but...we're not even close to ready, everyone else JUST checked out, you can come back at 2 pm. They were simply amazed that they couldn't get in now. Gave them the Visitor's Guide and some very vague directions for lunch, see you at 2. NOT TODAY PEOPLE!

My trouble is my nerves are frayed as from monday our whole town is gridlocked accommodation wise for the next week and a half. Most people are organised and book in January however for the last 3 weeks we have had last minute idiots totally surprised that a agricultural show for which there is to be expected 160 thousand people comming there might be a high demand on accommodation! WHAT A SHOCKER! just had one ringing about 10 mins ago but didn't mind her as completely sensible her husband has been in and out of hospital and they couldn't be sure till now if he would be well enough to go so knew it was unlikely we would have a room but thought they would try. did my best to help as they were sensible. others just seem completely shocked its busy here! "what part of you will not get a room in harrogate!" are you struggling with? ive been sending people to knaresborough (the next town) it also doesn't help that Jools Holland (famous Jazz music and his orchestra) are playing in Ripley 5 mins away small village no accommodation so all the people going to see him just want the saturday night and no one will take them and block a 5 night booking. sent them all the knaresborough and ripon phone numbers (those places should be paying me commission) . I keep an extensive list for this reason but this week has been bezerk!

Well, isn't a 2-fer in the grocery only half when you only get one? Guess he thinks you will only have to wash half the sheets if he is the only one sleeping in the bed. Ask him which half he wants from the previous guest..
gillumhouse said:
Guess he thinks you will only have to wash half the sheets if he is the only one sleeping in the bed. Ask him which half he wants from the previous guest.
I love it!!!!!

My trouble is my nerves are frayed as from monday our whole town is gridlocked accommodation wise for the next week and a half. Most people are organised and book in January however for the last 3 weeks we have had last minute idiots totally surprised that a agricultural show for which there is to be expected 160 thousand people comming there might be a high demand on accommodation! WHAT A SHOCKER! just had one ringing about 10 mins ago but didn't mind her as completely sensible her husband has been in and out of hospital and they couldn't be sure till now if he would be well enough to go so knew it was unlikely we would have a room but thought they would try. did my best to help as they were sensible. others just seem completely shocked its busy here! "what part of you will not get a room in harrogate!" are you struggling with? ive been sending people to knaresborough (the next town) it also doesn't help that Jools Holland (famous Jazz music and his orchestra) are playing in Ripley 5 mins away small village no accommodation so all the people going to see him just want the saturday night and no one will take them and block a 5 night booking. sent them all the knaresborough and ripon phone numbers (those places should be paying me commission) . I keep an extensive list for this reason but this week has been bezerk!.
We just went through two weekends of this.... Last weekend was the Canada Day, US Independence Day and Jazz festival weekend. We had people crying on the telephone. This weekend was the U2 concert. Some people have been waiting for three years for this concert, even the worst hotel in town was booked.
Another B&B was answer the phone with "We are fully booked for the next 10 days. Can I help you?" Just to keep their sanity.

My trouble is my nerves are frayed as from monday our whole town is gridlocked accommodation wise for the next week and a half. Most people are organised and book in January however for the last 3 weeks we have had last minute idiots totally surprised that a agricultural show for which there is to be expected 160 thousand people comming there might be a high demand on accommodation! WHAT A SHOCKER! just had one ringing about 10 mins ago but didn't mind her as completely sensible her husband has been in and out of hospital and they couldn't be sure till now if he would be well enough to go so knew it was unlikely we would have a room but thought they would try. did my best to help as they were sensible. others just seem completely shocked its busy here! "what part of you will not get a room in harrogate!" are you struggling with? ive been sending people to knaresborough (the next town) it also doesn't help that Jools Holland (famous Jazz music and his orchestra) are playing in Ripley 5 mins away small village no accommodation so all the people going to see him just want the saturday night and no one will take them and block a 5 night booking. sent them all the knaresborough and ripon phone numbers (those places should be paying me commission) . I keep an extensive list for this reason but this week has been bezerk!.
We just went through two weekends of this.... Last weekend was the Canada Day, US Independence Day and Jazz festival weekend. We had people crying on the telephone. This weekend was the U2 concert. Some people have been waiting for three years for this concert, even the worst hotel in town was booked.
Another B&B was answer the phone with "We are fully booked for the next 10 days. Can I help you?" Just to keep their sanity.
Since the economy has turned, I haven't had to do this, but I would change my recording on the phone to say we are fully booked until (date) and if you'd like to leave a message for a future date or need to get a hold of us, please leave a message.
I then wouldn't answer the phone unless we had a message. It was quite freeing! I hope to be in that position again someday.

thing is when they booked for the concert why didn't they book straight away then? trouble is all these online sites are all about last minute deals and have trained them all not to plan well this is what happens! We had the worst time when the Liberal Democrat conference overlapped with Autumn Bridal fair by one day which was also a saturday we were putting people up on blow up beds in their mates rooms (for a price) people's kids were giving up their rooms and putting the kids on the sofa it was utter maddness!

We do have a singles rate, to deal with that kind of request. Summer weekday, the 165 -185 rooms are 129 for a single. Winter all days, it is $119. Single person doesn't eat $35 less, but they are generally easier to look after and are gone early. The lower rate allows someone on fixed company per diem or govenment rate to make good, with the breakfast called out and maybe a few dollars from their own pocket. I'd say it has added ... about 5 to 7% of our business overall.

We do have a singles rate, to deal with that kind of request. Summer weekday, the 165 -185 rooms are 129 for a single. Winter all days, it is $119. Single person doesn't eat $35 less, but they are generally easier to look after and are gone early. The lower rate allows someone on fixed company per diem or govenment rate to make good, with the breakfast called out and maybe a few dollars from their own pocket. I'd say it has added ... about 5 to 7% of our business overall..
I know we've had this conversation before on a different thread, but singles end up using MORE of everything here, definitely not worth a discount. There is one place in town that offered $20/night off for singles but she just told our group that she's found the same thing, she's going to stop discounting because the singles tend to hang around the house all day using every free amenity they have.

Back