Bless MY heart...getting soft in my old age...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Hubs thinks it is invasion of the body snatchers, who has stolen his mean and cynical wife:
Got a call three weeks ago from a gal with an expired GC, wanting to book a one night stay in one of our nicest rooms. She had done her homework, she saw that the room was already booked for Saturday/Sunday so asked if we could make an exception to our 2 night minimum. She was very nice, just asking, no ultimatums.
The room IS booked Sat/Sun so I said sure, why not. She will just need to pay the difference between the expired GC amount and the new room rate. No problem. Then she asks if it would be at all possible to eat breakfast in their room alone. She has 6 kids, and number 7 on the way, and she and DH are not anit-social, she's sure we have just lovely guests, but they are just craving some alone time. We are just not set up for this at all (we turn and burn thru 18 peeps with 12 seats for breakfast), but the room she is staying in has JUST enough room for a card table, so I tell her ok, we'll work it out for her.
SO...here is my offering to my own and all the hard-working Moms out there. I just set up the table and place settings and even a fresh cut peony from the garden. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself! Here's hoping I don't regret it...

Or how about just a basket with the bread products (muffins, scones..) or whatever easilly portable food you are already serving that day. If they want the full breaky they can come down and partake in it, but if they just want something small (less than what everyone else is getting) then you'll deliver it.
You're already creating an extra room flip for yourself and on top of that you are going to add an option you don't offer anyone else.... (might attract the attention of some of your other guests) Sorry I get all cranky just thinking about trying to handle an inn your size ;)

Or how about just a basket with the bread products (muffins, scones..) or whatever easilly portable food you are already serving that day. If they want the full breaky they can come down and partake in it, but if they just want something small (less than what everyone else is getting) then you'll deliver it.
You're already creating an extra room flip for yourself and on top of that you are going to add an option you don't offer anyone else.... (might attract the attention of some of your other guests) Sorry I get all cranky just thinking about trying to handle an inn your size ;).
I thought of that, honestly that would be more work than just plating the regular 'ole brekky and running it up the stairs. I"m telling them they have to come down and get their own coffee/tea beforehand, and I'm telling them I'm bringing everything up at 9:15. Usually it's pretty busy at breakfast so I don't think anyone else will notice unless they run into me coming down the stairs. If so, I'll have to make something up!
I think I got sucked in because she just sounded like she had an ounce of common sense...I hope my radar wasn't wrong on that one.

You're already creating an extra room flip for yourself and on top of that you are going to add an option you don't offer anyone else.... (might attract the attention of some of your other guests) Sorry I get all cranky just thinking about trying to handle an inn your size ;).
I thought of that, honestly that would be more work than just plating the regular 'ole brekky and running it up the stairs. I"m telling them they have to come down and get their own coffee/tea beforehand, and I'm telling them I'm bringing everything up at 9:15. Usually it's pretty busy at breakfast so I don't think anyone else will notice unless they run into me coming down the stairs. If so, I'll have to make something up!
I think I got sucked in because she just sounded like she had an ounce of common sense...I hope my radar wasn't wrong on that one.
InnsiderInfo said:
I had an instance of that, not wanting to actually pay for the inn-room breakfast and gave me the we are never alone schpeal so I told them you can eat wherever you like! Take your plates upstairs or outside on the grounds. They loved it! If they had paid for it they could have had it delivered to their door.

We had a request for breakfast in the room for 4 days. This was early on and I wasn't trying anything unknown while still trying to keep up with the regular stuff. So I said we don't usually serve breakfast to the rooms because we don't have tables and chairs to eat properly (as in NOT in bed). He got all huffy with me and said I wouldn't last if I didn't know how to give the customer what they wanted and he hung up.
We've only had a couple more requests after that. If they are for the one room that has a table, I'll consider it. Otherwise, there's not even room usually to put the tray down. Guests will have covered every flat surface with all of their things and they won't think 'where will the tray go'? Altho, I think I asked last year about TV tables and got some good suggestions about those. Ginocat, I think, had a really nice wood set of tables with their own storage case.

We had a request for breakfast in the room for 4 days. This was early on and I wasn't trying anything unknown while still trying to keep up with the regular stuff. So I said we don't usually serve breakfast to the rooms because we don't have tables and chairs to eat properly (as in NOT in bed). He got all huffy with me and said I wouldn't last if I didn't know how to give the customer what they wanted and he hung up.
We've only had a couple more requests after that. If they are for the one room that has a table, I'll consider it. Otherwise, there's not even room usually to put the tray down. Guests will have covered every flat surface with all of their things and they won't think 'where will the tray go'? Altho, I think I asked last year about TV tables and got some good suggestions about those. Ginocat, I think, had a really nice wood set of tables with their own storage case.
Yes, we had nice wooden TV tables that we used in the guest rooms. Since there is a sofa or 2 chairs in every room, they could easily eat at it. We put the breakfast on a tray and the tray sat nicely on the TV table. worked well for us.

Bree said:
Tray tables, you can buy them at wally world for $12. Maple.

Let us know afterward, you ol' softy..
Our guests can pretty much eat wherever they want anyway. Most choose to eat in the dining room with other guests. I'm really surprised no one has asked to eat on the patio yet.

So it went beautifully. Really sweet couple, have been to our area many times before so their check-in was about 2 minutes because they didn't need anything from me, gave them the key and asked if 9:15 was ok for breakfast, asked if they could come down and get their own coffee/tea and then we'd bring everything else up.
I knocked at 9:15 to bring in juice/water and they were all dressed and packed up, bed made, coffee in hand. They were most appreciative and seemed really happy.
Edited to add that we got away with it too, 80% of the house was already gone by 9:15 and those who were left were sitting over breakfast, I don't think anyone saw me make the secret delivery
wink_smile.gif

You followed your gut! I am glad it worked out.
teeth_smile.gif

I had really sweet guests this morning, and they were guinea pigs for a new dish which was a hit. These are the ones we carry along with us to draw on later.

I'll bet they are still talking about how great you were to let them enjoy some quiet time and they will tell everyone what a great time they had. Sometimes going "above and beyond" just feels good.

So it went beautifully. Really sweet couple, have been to our area many times before so their check-in was about 2 minutes because they didn't need anything from me, gave them the key and asked if 9:15 was ok for breakfast, asked if they could come down and get their own coffee/tea and then we'd bring everything else up.
I knocked at 9:15 to bring in juice/water and they were all dressed and packed up, bed made, coffee in hand. They were most appreciative and seemed really happy.
Edited to add that we got away with it too, 80% of the house was already gone by 9:15 and those who were left were sitting over breakfast, I don't think anyone saw me make the secret delivery
wink_smile.gif
InnsiderInfo said:
So it went beautifully.
Don't you just love it when a plan works!!
RIki

I am so happy it worked out. My natural instinct (as I think is true of most innkeepers) is to always go above and beyond, because it does feel great. By far my greatest learning curve here has been to recognize situations in which this is appropriate...you can't give 110% all the time, every situation, without depleting yourself.

I am so happy it worked out. My natural instinct (as I think is true of most innkeepers) is to always go above and beyond, because it does feel great. By far my greatest learning curve here has been to recognize situations in which this is appropriate...you can't give 110% all the time, every situation, without depleting yourself..
Absolutely true! The hardest thing for me right now is finding time to exercise, or read a book without feeling guilty or stressed because I took the time to read or exercise! Today, I have no guests so I've been out in the garden all day which is great but now I want to lay on the porch and read a book, but I really should do laundry...

I am so happy it worked out. My natural instinct (as I think is true of most innkeepers) is to always go above and beyond, because it does feel great. By far my greatest learning curve here has been to recognize situations in which this is appropriate...you can't give 110% all the time, every situation, without depleting yourself..
Absolutely true! The hardest thing for me right now is finding time to exercise, or read a book without feeling guilty or stressed because I took the time to read or exercise! Today, I have no guests so I've been out in the garden all day which is great but now I want to lay on the porch and read a book, but I really should do laundry...
Go read your book girl! We're due to get thunderstorms this afternoon, maybe you are too...laundry can wait 'til it's raining!
My biggest accomplishment these last 6 months has been working out a system with DH whereby I can exercise for an hour in the mornings. It meant some trading of tasks and getting up a bit earlier for both of us, but it's been a literal lifesaver. I'm down 25# so far and I can really feel the difference now that we are in our very busy season...I no longer get winded making those 10 trips up the steps to do laundry.
It's so important to take good care of ourselves FIRST...it helps keep the well full to continue to give to others.

Country Girl said:
I want to lay on the porch and read a book, but I really should do laundry...
Go read the book.
Friends of ours retired last year to the new home they bought just up the road from us. They were in the process of getting the new house fixed up so they could move here permanently, a dream of theirs for years. On their way back to the 'old' house last summer he started feeling ill. They thought it was food poisoning. Less than a week later his kidneys shut down and 9 months later he was dead from a very agressive cancer. His memorial service is next week. Their 'retirement' lasted 3 weeks.
Go read the book.

Country Girl said:
Go read the book.
Friends of ours retired last year to the new home they bought just up the road from us. They were in the process of getting the new house fixed up so they could move here permanently, a dream of theirs for years. On their way back to the 'old' house last summer he started feeling ill. They thought it was food poisoning. Less than a week later his kidneys shut down and 9 months later he was dead from a very agressive cancer. His memorial service is next week. Their 'retirement' lasted 3 weeks.
Go read the book.
Bree said:
Bree, so sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you

Go read your book girl! We're due to get thunderstorms this afternoon, maybe you are too...laundry can wait 'til it's raining!
My biggest accomplishment these last 6 months has been working out a system with DH whereby I can exercise for an hour in the mornings. It meant some trading of tasks and getting up a bit earlier for both of us, but it's been a literal lifesaver. I'm down 25# so far and I can really feel the difference now that we are in our very busy season...I no longer get winded making those 10 trips up the steps to do laundry.
It's so important to take good care of ourselves FIRST...it helps keep the well full to continue to give to others.
So then, what time do you get up to work out? When I don't have guests I always plan on getting up early anyway to work out but then when I wake up I am so happy that I don't HAVE to get up that I roll over and sleep for an extra hour. I'm not too out of shape but I'm definitely not as in shape as I was, and I miss my old body. BTW, congratulations on your accomplishments.
cheers.gif

Country Girl said:
Go read the book.
Go read the book.
Bree said:
penelope said:
Bree said:
I'm sorry too. It sure puts it all in perspective. I will go read the book, or hang out with my girlfriends that I don't see enough. Thanks.

Back