Blessings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
One of the blessings of living in a small town -
The priest knocks on your door at 9:50 PM asking you to take in someone for 2 nights and bill him (the priest). Like I am going to say no to Father Karl! On Good Friday no less! I am not happy about this because I know Father Karl is just palming this guy off on me. Looks clean-cut but he is supposed to meet his cousin for a drink. If he has a cousin in town why isn't he staying with him? Not nice Christian thoughts I know - but it is my house, I have no idea who this guy is........ All I know is his first name is Dominick. and I was just planning to do an early night-night. Now I have to wait until this guy gets back.....

did he check in ? you couldn't give him a key? i would bundle up in my jammies and stretch out on the sofa i guess. hope it all works out, maybe it will be fine.

did he check in ? you couldn't give him a key? i would bundle up in my jammies and stretch out on the sofa i guess. hope it all works out, maybe it will be fine..
I ran upstairs to close the door to my storage room and hang the shower curtain up. Guests checked out Wednesday morning and I was getting laundry done etc with no one due in until Tuesday other than my son and Thursday (yesterday) left for the Capital for Trail Day so had not gotten to hanging the shower curtain up again with the new liner. Just as I was coming back downstairs, Father Karl had dropped the guy off and ran. No key to give. Now my "guest" has gone out and has not yet returned. DH is unhappy with me because I did not say no and says he is going to be up all night because he does not feel comfortable with this. I told him to just lock our side of the house. It looks as if I may be up most of the night however because I do not go to bed with an unlocked house.
The problem is the old no one understands a B & B. Yes we do have strangers in our home a lot - however they are rarely drop ins. We know their names and addresses. We have a credit card number for them. All before they get here.Now I have a non-B & B type who is not the person paying the bill and all I know about him is his first name and that he said he "was meeting his cousin for a drink." I wonder if he told Father Karl he has a cousin in town? The only good thing is that I actually do have supplies in the house - if I do not have guests scheduled I sometimes wait to get certain items like eggs or OJ or fruit. Grrrrrrrr!!! I am not feeling charitable at the moment.

Sorry to hear that as well. You are feeling the same way about your walk-in that I feel about taking a check from someone. On the other hand I get tons of walk-ins knocking on the door so I am quite used to that. Most are really great. I've only had one problem guest in three years and he trashed the room and was arrested three hours after check in. Had his car towed from the driveway as well!

did he check in ? you couldn't give him a key? i would bundle up in my jammies and stretch out on the sofa i guess. hope it all works out, maybe it will be fine..
I ran upstairs to close the door to my storage room and hang the shower curtain up. Guests checked out Wednesday morning and I was getting laundry done etc with no one due in until Tuesday other than my son and Thursday (yesterday) left for the Capital for Trail Day so had not gotten to hanging the shower curtain up again with the new liner. Just as I was coming back downstairs, Father Karl had dropped the guy off and ran. No key to give. Now my "guest" has gone out and has not yet returned. DH is unhappy with me because I did not say no and says he is going to be up all night because he does not feel comfortable with this. I told him to just lock our side of the house. It looks as if I may be up most of the night however because I do not go to bed with an unlocked house.
The problem is the old no one understands a B & B. Yes we do have strangers in our home a lot - however they are rarely drop ins. We know their names and addresses. We have a credit card number for them. All before they get here.Now I have a non-B & B type who is not the person paying the bill and all I know about him is his first name and that he said he "was meeting his cousin for a drink." I wonder if he told Father Karl he has a cousin in town? The only good thing is that I actually do have supplies in the house - if I do not have guests scheduled I sometimes wait to get certain items like eggs or OJ or fruit. Grrrrrrrr!!! I am not feeling charitable at the moment.
Today- get his full name and address on file, just as you would a call-in from the road. Hope he wasn't out all night...

I would have just locked the door and let that be it. It's unreasonable to expect someone to stay up waiting for a drunken guest. A priest should know better.

Every year at Christmas the local chamber calls for us to please take in some stranded wayfarers down on their luck. One local flea bag hotel donates rooms out of kindness why don't we? (We live here for one reason! Christmas eve is for our family.)
Well two years ago I heard the reward for this generosity... Truckers there with teenage hookers doing drugs etc and trashed the donated out of the goodness of their hearts - rooms, with the police hauling them all to jail in the wee hours of Christmas morning.
If the priest won't take him home, then he should not pawn him off on you. That is where I stand on the issue. I have said the same thing to the chamber, YOU invite them into your home on Christmas eve.

Update: I am not as ticked as I was. I had clamed down by the time I went to bed last this morning. He was not drunk - apparently just went out for a drink at the bar on the corner with someone he said this morning is a close family friend.
I can understans WHY Father Karl brought him over - the way he did it made me think it was a "stranded motorist" deal that the Council of Churches usually pays for - at the local no-tell because of past problems at the local motel (before I became involved with them). Today I find out he is a college student studying Catholicism and thought he was going to stay at the Rectory. With all the finger-pointing and lawsuits, I am sure Father Karl was afraid of being accused of something and prefers to end his over 50 years as a priest - in the clear. IF he had given me notice (even an hour) I would not have been (nor DH) so angry. DH was more upset than I was! He locked our side of the house this morning before coming to bed!
It was the presumption of here he is, bill me, bye that got my dander up last night - and the lateness of the hour.

Update: I am not as ticked as I was. I had clamed down by the time I went to bed last this morning. He was not drunk - apparently just went out for a drink at the bar on the corner with someone he said this morning is a close family friend.
I can understans WHY Father Karl brought him over - the way he did it made me think it was a "stranded motorist" deal that the Council of Churches usually pays for - at the local no-tell because of past problems at the local motel (before I became involved with them). Today I find out he is a college student studying Catholicism and thought he was going to stay at the Rectory. With all the finger-pointing and lawsuits, I am sure Father Karl was afraid of being accused of something and prefers to end his over 50 years as a priest - in the clear. IF he had given me notice (even an hour) I would not have been (nor DH) so angry. DH was more upset than I was! He locked our side of the house this morning before coming to bed!
It was the presumption of here he is, bill me, bye that got my dander up last night - and the lateness of the hour..
Yes, that was not a good thing for the priest to do to you. But you know..being Holy Week, I bet he is up to his eyeballs in preparation with all the special services etc that go on so he probably didn't give it a thought. Since you seem to know him well, I would talk to him later on and explain the situation so the next time it won't be like this one:-(

It was the presumption of here he is, bill me, bye that got my dander up last night - and the lateness of the hour..
Yes, that was not a good thing for the priest to do to you. But you know..being Holy Week, I bet he is up to his eyeballs in preparation with all the special services etc that go on so he probably didn't give it a thought. Since you seem to know him well, I would talk to him later on and explain the situation so the next time it won't be like this one:-(
I know Father Karl. Waste of my breath. He is old school priest - and I am not even Catholic! He is also delusional - he thinks I am wonderful!

haha ... i am glad all is ok. i started to try to 'win' you over with possibles last nite but then finally realized you were here to vent (after all, this is a safe haven for that when need be) .. not to be told all would be fine.
as much as we all try to be prepared for the unexpected, something will inevitably, eventually come up that we hadn't expected so we could not be prepared ... etc.
wink_smile.gif

I know Father Karl. Waste of my breath. He is old school priest - and I am not even Catholic! He is also delusional - he thinks I am wonderful!
Oh well. At least it turned out ok.
Happy Easter

haha ... i am glad all is ok. i started to try to 'win' you over with possibles last nite but then finally realized you were here to vent (after all, this is a safe haven for that when need be) .. not to be told all would be fine.
as much as we all try to be prepared for the unexpected, something will inevitably, eventually come up that we hadn't expected so we could not be prepared ... etc.
wink_smile.gif
E-mail me off-line. The SOSK have been asking about you. You are in our prayers regularly.

Back