Blindsided and I need some Advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cat_lady

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Have not posted in a long time. Basically, I have had social media overload and I'm more of a looker than a talker lately but I've always been able to come here for good advice and suggestions.
I had someone design my website when we first started and I was pretty happy with it. I got onto Reservation Key after about a year into the game and it was the best decision I had made. Things have been going along pretty smoothly. I was even able to make some limited changes on my website, such as pictures and news but for the most part, left it up to my web designer. I paid a small yearly fee which I felt was reasonable. Fast forward to the beginning of this year when my site just about disappeared. He was having problems with his server (?) and had to re input not just mine, but other sites. However, during this time, his IT guy I guess wanted out. While my website is up and running, there are changes that need to be made and updated. His old guy has left, his new guy is in and he said that my changes would be done by this week.
Just got an email from him and he's said that he cannot support my website requirements any longer. He wants me to find a new provider. Basically, he says I only pay for web site domain and hosting and will no longer provide free service for updates. I don't get it. I did pay him in the past but I guess now I'm either small potatoes or he just can't be bothered. He said he will unlock the domain and provide Auth Code and web site files when I find a new vendor. !!!!! I am no techie and I'm not sure what this all means. He had me with GoDaddy services. Can't I just stay with them? I'm a hunt and peck kind of girl but I'm not stupid. Is this something I can handle on my own? I know a few of you on this forum were computer people in your previous lives and you do this yourselves but how doable with this be for someone like me?
This literally just happened so I'm kind of numb with this news. This isn't what I need right now while I'm prepping for the new season.

Hire someone on fiverr or is fivver who can help you move and update. It's not the expensive. You likely need to move so that the billing is no longer on his CC.

Hire someone on fiverr or is fivver who can help you move and update. It's not the expensive. You likely need to move so that the billing is no longer on his CC..
Generic said:
Hire someone on fiverr or is fivver
https://www.fiverr.com/

Hire someone on fiverr or is fivver who can help you move and update. It's not the expensive. You likely need to move so that the billing is no longer on his CC..
I never thought of them. I will definitely check them out.

2cat_lady said:
If you have the log in info they should be able to take care if you without having to start from scratch. I've been with GoDaddy for years and never heard of a server problem like you describe. Assuming he had things on a GoDaddy server, they keep everything backed up and you should never lose it and have to start over.

2cat_lady said:
If you have the log in info they should be able to take care if you without having to start from scratch. I've been with GoDaddy for years and never heard of a server problem like you describe. Assuming he had things on a GoDaddy server, they keep everything backed up and you should never lose it and have to start over.
I think the problem has more to do with the problems he had with his employee. Plus, I'm the one that discovered the initial problem with GoDaddy. Even then, it took awhile before he was trying to convince to move my website to WIX.
To top it off, I've contacted someone on Fiverr in the meantime, and just got information back from him that my site is NOT with WIX. Now I don't know what to think!!

2cat_lady said:
I think the problem has more to do with the problems he had with his employee. Plus, I'm the one that discovered the initial problem with GoDaddy. Even then, it took awhile before he was trying to convince to move my website to WIX.
To top it off, I've contacted someone on Fiverr in the meantime, and just got information back from him that my site is NOT with WIX. Now I don't know what to think!!
2cat_lady said:
To top it off, I've contacted someone on Fiverr in the meantime, and just got information back from him that my site is NOT with WIX.
No, you're still with GoDaddy. (<<< Click the link.)
Which is fine. GoDaddy is a reputable company and a huge player in the field of domain registry and hosting.

Not too many years back Empty Nest here on the forum pointed me in the right direction with a Wordpress site and a Theme (Avada) and suggested a host by the name of Khairmia (spelling?)
I have found them great folks to work with, speak with real people, and much more reasonable than most.
If there is anyway I can be of help and pass on the help I was given, just ask, either here or PM me and we can email- Jim

If your site is hosted on go daddy, which Arks verified, you should not need anything from this web person. I’d ask him what files he is talking about as everything should be loaded on go daddy. You should not have to change that aspect. If you already know how to make minor changes you should be fine. You can always ask at go daddy for assistance.
What you want to verify right away is that the domain name is owned by you.

Not too many years back Empty Nest here on the forum pointed me in the right direction with a Wordpress site and a Theme (Avada) and suggested a host by the name of Khairmia (spelling?)
I have found them great folks to work with, speak with real people, and much more reasonable than most.
If there is anyway I can be of help and pass on the help I was given, just ask, either here or PM me and we can email- Jim.
Jim - Khimaira.

2cat_lady said:
If you would like to have a conversation with me, I'd take some time to help. My "other life" was web and graphic design. I still freelance and I have set up and manage all our own B&B domain and website maintenance. Feel free to contact me direct if you would like. Happy to consult and help you sort things out.

It sounds to me like your website was set up as an "add-on domain" on this person's web hosting package, which is why you're asked to move out to your own hosting package. So even if you stay with GoDaddy, you still have to move your stuff from one package to another.
What I think you should do is the following: create a new website on a new platform (be it Wix, WordPress or something else) and just connect your domain to it. I don't see anything of value on your old website, there's nothing worth moving. It's still built with tables, that's how ancient it is.

It sounds to me like your website was set up as an "add-on domain" on this person's web hosting package, which is why you're asked to move out to your own hosting package. So even if you stay with GoDaddy, you still have to move your stuff from one package to another.
What I think you should do is the following: create a new website on a new platform (be it Wix, WordPress or something else) and just connect your domain to it. I don't see anything of value on your old website, there's nothing worth moving. It's still built with tables, that's how ancient it is..
Thanks for the more knowledgeable perspective!

Back