Blintz Me! (Rolled Crepes) New Ideas?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Well, I usually make blintzes (I'll steal someone's picture and post it below for those who don't know). My usual filling is cheese (ricotta, lemon peel and sugar). But I also make them in blueberry, sometimes cherry. Well today I tried a new filling, ricotta (3 cups approx.), 3/4 c of almonds and about 1/2 c of maple syrup (we only use the real stuff, we live in Quebec after all.) I have also make chocolate banana (banana and nutella). But I'm looking for some other ideas or plating ideas. So if you have one, drop it on down. Anyone tried filling one with cheese, egg and some ham/bacon? Have something a bit off that works well? I'm listening.
blintz.jpg

I recently made some where I filled them with quark (sour-ish yogurt cheese), canned blackberries (in heavy syrup), and a modest drizzle of dark chocolate syrup. FANTASTIC.

Did you see this thread? https://www.innspiring.com/node/8338 ( Not sure why the link won't work???) This is what the search said it's location was.
Just search CREPES
Not blintzes..but crepes...same difference :)

Did you see this thread? https://www.innspiring.com/node/8338 ( Not sure why the link won't work???) This is what the search said it's location was.
Just search CREPES
Not blintzes..but crepes...same difference :).
I live in Montreal, Quebec... I assure you that I know crepes. In some ways I agree with you, but in others it is a bit different in that it's self contained, freezable and bakeable. Also, blintzes are usually served with sour cream (which interestingly enough doesn't really exist in France as "sour cream".
It's combinations that work that I'm interesting in. I've done carmelized apples and they work well. But I'm looking for something wilder.
In a crepe, I have done aspargus, tomatoe and cheese, but somehow, I wouldn't put that into a blintz. It just doesn't fit. Most blintzes use cheese like mascarpone, ricotta or cottage cheese (strained) as a base. Lemon rind, vanilla and sugar are mixed in to make it slightly sweet and add flavour. But I'm sure some people have done other amazing things. I'm just hoping to hear others.

Just search CREPES
Not blintzes..but crepes...same difference :).
I live in Montreal, Quebec... I assure you that I know crepes. In some ways I agree with you, but in others it is a bit different in that it's self contained, freezable and bakeable. Also, blintzes are usually served with sour cream (which interestingly enough doesn't really exist in France as "sour cream".
It's combinations that work that I'm interesting in. I've done carmelized apples and they work well. But I'm looking for something wilder.
In a crepe, I have done aspargus, tomatoe and cheese, but somehow, I wouldn't put that into a blintz. It just doesn't fit. Most blintzes use cheese like mascarpone, ricotta or cottage cheese (strained) as a base. Lemon rind, vanilla and sugar are mixed in to make it slightly sweet and add flavour. But I'm sure some people have done other amazing things. I'm just hoping to hear others.
I did a dish today that had a filling of ricotta, parmesan, sauteed leeks, chard and spinach brightened with fresh lemon juice. It was a hit. Maybe you could take something similarly spring-like and top with a kiss of hollandaise and more parm over the tops of the blintzes. With a little asparagus on the side. I used fresh pea shoots but a grilled asparagus would be nice!

Now this should be an innkeeper sleep-over event. Every grab 2 or 3 blintzes and go for it! Show us what you would like. I think that would be grand!

Now this should be an innkeeper sleep-over event. Every grab 2 or 3 blintzes and go for it! Show us what you would like. I think that would be grand!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Now this should be an innkeeper sleep-over event. Every grab 2 or 3 blintzes and go for it! Show us what you would like. I think that would be grand!
When I make crepes, I always make a really big batch. If I want to keep them as crepes, I put two sheets of wax paper between the layers, so I can remove them easier, later. But often I will mix something for inside and make blintzes. I roll them with wax paper and store them in plastic freezer bags (3 or 4 to a small bag), label them and freeze them. It's great if I have very few people and I need something.
I can also do the same thing when I make a gluten-free batch. I make them with a big GF, so I can find them later. Sometimes I make a gluten-free, milk-free batch (but not nut-free, since I use almond milk instead of the regular dairy). It's just easier to make a big batch and free for special diets.

Back