Blocking time off?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Do you block off your calendar for time away during you off-peak times at the B&B? Or do you wait til you see a lull and just take time as needed?

Yes. We'll go away sometime in the spring. Otherwise, we'll just take a day here and there as we want. In season, we'll block a day that has no bookings just so we don't get any. Altho that is dangerous as we relax, something we shouldn't do in season!

We did a lot of research about this and we discovered that a lot of innkeepers that work in year round climates and tourist seasons forget to take enough time off and end up burnt out. So we developed a plan that includes a certain number of days off each year for travel, which we like to do. When we look ahead a few months and see a big gap, we start thinking about blocking it off. If it gets through the discussion stage without any activity and it fits one of our "we want to see" places, we make the call, block it off and don't look back. If we have been particularly busy for a few weeks and we see a day or two that would make a good break, we do the same thing.

Knk you really can see a trend after a few years, so that is what we bank on. Odd trend here? 2nd-3rd week of June - as if kids are out of school, graduations just happened and people are THINKING or preparing for their summer vacations. So we take this 'warm' week off every year now for family vacation time. I was surprised in this huge lull in bookings and caught onto it.
(For those who don't believe in guest mgmt software, this is another thing you can utilize - pop up reports and visually see some pot-holes in your bookings).

Yes. We'll go away sometime in the spring. Otherwise, we'll just take a day here and there as we want. In season, we'll block a day that has no bookings just so we don't get any. Altho that is dangerous as we relax, something we shouldn't do in season!.
We do a little of both. For something we want or need to do, we block it off ahead of time - like this year the conference in Williamsburg. Then when we were so busy over the summer and into the fall, we decided to take a week extra as vacation and we added that on. We got phone calls for that time but we just kept it for ourselves.
Most of the rest of the time, we look for a lull in the action and then take advantage of it. Sometimes it's really hard to plan ahead, though - I had hoped to take my anniversary off in May but we already have a reservation.

We blocked off for kid weddings when we had one that gave us enough notice to block it - the other times I had wonderful friends who filled in. DH does not travel well any more so we just take a day here or there when there is a break to do a day trip - or when kids come here we block off.
Other than that, I only block for when I am going away on MABB or City business. I have 4 days blocked off this month for City business and next month blocked off 4 days for MABB Conference (3 days) and the very next day is the Legislative Reception so I cannot have guests during that time. DH can (and will) be serving the last breakfast Feb 15 because I will leave earlier than the guests will want breakfast, but I will have it ready for oven & serve.
I think I do not have burn-out problems because I have enough of the MABB, City, Museum (that is in March also - need to block that), Rail-Trails stuff (April) that I do not get tired of B & B although there are weeks that they all collide and that is interesting!

I don't block any time off, but we do take a big vacation each year. It's ranged from 2 to 3 weeks and we leave the country. It's really the only time I'm able to totally disconnect from the business.We hire an innsitter while we're gone. This year we're taking a tropical vacation in May (Dominican Republic), then will take a smaller getaway in October but will stay within a few days drive away.
I love to do a lot of research for our vacations and get great travel bargains. You can get away for far less $$$ than you think!

We ended up taking a vacation when we thought it would be slow & there could have been a fair amount of business. Then, we took a short vacation when it definitely is slow here. This year, we have a short vacation planned for the same time of year.
We learned that between Dec 26th & mid January it's also pretty slow here. Nothing much happening around town, no events or major things on the schedule. That would be a good time to go somewhere too. We ended up doing deep cleaning and having a few maintenance things done.
We'll do some bigger projects this Summer and block off some days.
I also think that I'll block some Mondays off. Sundays & Mondays tend to be very slow for us.

i learned from you folks to block time off ... during peak times, if there was a sudden two day gap, i grabbed it. it was hard not to relent when folks started calling or emailing to stay during my break. but .... one day when i just started crying for no reason ... really, none that i can think of ... i knew i just needed an innkeeper's 'weekend'
cry_smile.gif

like the mon-fri, 9-5 crowd. we ALL need some time off. and you have to find a way to have some. doesn't have to be the weekend. having a couple days to yourself in the middle of the week can be ohsodecadent!
devil_smile.gif
i think i watched tv in my pj's and ate chocolate! slept in a guestroom, had a bubble bath ... felt like a guest!

I ALWAYS BLOCKED OFF TIME during peak season. I needed a break and I made sure I had some:)

We are working on doing both. When there is something we want to do we block it off. But now we have two possible local innsitters so we may start planning things more.
We are still new enough that we don't know our cycles too well yet.
Riki

Forgot to mention that when daughter #1 called with news she was pregnant, first question was, 'WHEN?' As it turned out to be Sept, I had to block that time immediately. We had a wedding booked in for the weekend and we left right after they did. Baby was 2 weeks early, but we were locked in at that point.
Ditto this new baby...blocked the time off already. If baby is early, oh well.

We definitely will block time off if we need it.... have done it several times. During the Chrismas holidays we blocked off the week - and wouldn't you know it we had calls for a couple of rooms but our plans were already made. It was well worth getting away from the inn for a short time.

I just blocked off the day before Valentine's Day! I'm running a February special..so there are opportunities for romance other than on the 14th. We already have 2 rooms booked on that Friday (return guest who will be busy with family & a long term guest) who will be fine while we go to a special dinner. Valentine's Day we're booked so it's our opportunity to have a nice evening out!! And I'm seizing the day, dang it!
teeth_smile.gif

I just blocked off the day before Valentine's Day! I'm running a February special..so there are opportunities for romance other than on the 14th. We already have 2 rooms booked on that Friday (return guest who will be busy with family & a long term guest) who will be fine while we go to a special dinner. Valentine's Day we're booked so it's our opportunity to have a nice evening out!! And I'm seizing the day, dang it!
teeth_smile.gif
V-Day is always the worst day to go to a restaurant - you're definitely better off going the day before. Everybody goes on V-Day. I read about a fancy restaurant in Manhattan that had its busiest night on Feb. 13 - all the big tycoons taking out their girlfriends since they had plans with their spouses on the 14th.

teeth_smile.gif
V-Day is always the worst day to go to a restaurant - you're definitely better off going the day before. Everybody goes on V-Day. I read about a fancy restaurant in Manhattan that had its busiest night on Feb. 13 - all the big tycoons taking out their girlfriends since they had plans with their spouses on the 14th.
HA HA...but probably very true
cheers.gif

teeth_smile.gif
Actually, this is a special dinner hosted by a neighbor as a fundraiser for our organization. It's going to be great...with champagne and wine pairings :) There will not be many of us, plus our hosts. She is an excellent chef!

teeth_smile.gif
Actually, this is a special dinner hosted by a neighbor as a fundraiser for our organization. It's going to be great...with champagne and wine pairings :) There will not be many of us, plus our hosts. She is an excellent chef!
ooooh i wanna come crash the dinner party!!! Right up my alley. . .
Riki

we used to be like this..." if there isn't any resrvations for such & such days, we will go somewhere/do something." However, we quickly realized that wasn't going to work.
now, we plan our appointments, trips, days off, etc. & we block those days off. otherwise we would never make it out the door.
as far as vacations/days off go, some ppeople feel they can't afford to take the days off & pass up reservations. we feel that you can't afford not to, for sanity sake

teeth_smile.gif
ooooh i wanna come crash the dinner party!!! Right up my alley. . .
Riki
Yep, it is ;-) The starter is caviar & something...
And it goes to a really good cause....

Back