Blog Based Websites

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I'm seeing more B&B websites that appear to be a blog format. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of this? Is this something that's being pushed by WordPress software?

Definitely good for feeding it into social media outlets! I can see that as a major advantage. Update the blog and voila everything is updated and there you are immediately at everyones attention again, and again and again.

I think the biggest pro is that it is EASY and, like JB said, if it truly a blog and not just a blog-looking format, you are immediately showing in searches and not having to wait weeks or months for recognition by the big search engines.
The con is really only in the viewer's eye...does it look good? At least that's how I think about it. But, a lot of website design companies use templates so why not a blog template?

I have seen some fantastic layouts in wordpress, very nice, so much easier than a proper website. Are websites going the way of directories now? Printed directories gave way to online directories and so on and so on.
You have given us food for thought Samster. Maybe we should change out blog layouts a bit and make them more website-esque and see what happens? BOOK NOW buttons and all that, instead of just images and links to the website to book a room. BOOK NOW in every blog article.
You have created a monster...look out! :)
PS Google still gives more credence to websites, however...but something for another time...

It's also about budget (or lack thereof). A friend of mine asked me to quote on a website for her one little rental cabin. Knowing her maximum potential revenue (little) and how much she has to say (lots), I suggested she do a blog instead. She's not very computer literate so I had to help her set it up and show her how to post, add photos, make link lists so it's organized for visitors, etc, and she ran with it. She credits the blog for drastically increasing her occupancy and inquiries. I'm glad it worked out for her. I would've felt like a thief taking her money for a full-blown website that she just didn't need.

I have seen some fantastic layouts in wordpress, very nice, so much easier than a proper website. Are websites going the way of directories now? Printed directories gave way to online directories and so on and so on.
You have given us food for thought Samster. Maybe we should change out blog layouts a bit and make them more website-esque and see what happens? BOOK NOW buttons and all that, instead of just images and links to the website to book a room. BOOK NOW in every blog article.
PS Google still gives more credence to websites, however...but something for another time....
That's what I'm talking about in WordPress. They kind of have the appearance of a website, until you look closer. A friend of mine went that direction with a new domain name and all. The old domain redirects to the new one. Didn't she lose all her web history love? Also doesn't seem to have a lot of SEO stuff in the new one and I don't see her using the social media feature. hmmmmmmm........ Plus, it doesn't look so great imvvho.

Despite what some companies have claimed lately, yes a well set up Wordpress site can function very well on its own and still ahve a blog section. Emphasis on well set-up. There is some tweaking that needs to be done to get what you need out of it. The basic architecture as a content management system is pretty strong and can be modified to suit specific needs. I consider it a very viable option.

PS Google still gives more credence to websites, however...but something for another time....
That's what I'm talking about in WordPress. They kind of have the appearance of a website, until you look closer. A friend of mine went that direction with a new domain name and all. The old domain redirects to the new one. Didn't she lose all her web history love? Also doesn't seem to have a lot of SEO stuff in the new one and I don't see her using the social media feature. hmmmmmmm........ Plus, it doesn't look so great imvvho.
Samster said:
... The old domain redirects to the new one. Didn't she lose all her web history love? Also doesn't seem to have a lot of SEO stuff in the new one...
It depends how the redirects were set up. They can be done to preserve most of the history and link love, but most people don't do it correctly so in most cases it is lost, which is a shame.

See I am with SWIRT on this. Wordpress can make a really nice website. You just have to do it right..and in the case we know...it was not :-(

Despite what some companies have claimed lately, yes a well set up Wordpress site can function very well on its own and still ahve a blog section. Emphasis on well set-up. There is some tweaking that needs to be done to get what you need out of it. The basic architecture as a content management system is pretty strong and can be modified to suit specific needs. I consider it a very viable option..
What about the security issues? I've heard that there is a problem with people hacking into wordpress sites/blogs.

Despite what some companies have claimed lately, yes a well set up Wordpress site can function very well on its own and still ahve a blog section. Emphasis on well set-up. There is some tweaking that needs to be done to get what you need out of it. The basic architecture as a content management system is pretty strong and can be modified to suit specific needs. I consider it a very viable option..
What about the security issues? I've heard that there is a problem with people hacking into wordpress sites/blogs.
Breakfast Diva said:
You have to stay on top of new security downloads, just like you do on your own computer or antivirus software.

Breakfast Diva said:
I think there has been a little added hype on that end of things. I've seen lots of sites get hacked. Traditional construction, Wordpress, home-brew content management systems...
Wordpress is a good target because there are so many wordpress sites and as was pointed out, the code is opensource so anyone can download it and dissect it for errors. But there is also a huge number of people doing improvements and they get rolled out often. The system is dirt simple to update. You login to the dashboard and it says "click here to update" and you click it...wait a few seconds and whammo it is updated.
Often times the hacked sites get hacked because they advertise that they are wordpress sites. "Powered by wordpress" or "based on the wordpress theme xyz" should not be visible on your site. If you practice good safety habits and a regular backup schedule, it is pretty simple to restore a hacked site.... often simpler than restoring a hacked traditional site. Using stong passwords helps too.
There is a problem with people hacking into non-wordpress sites too, you just hear about it less because people don't say things like "my homegrown" site got hacked.
Sites of any type get hacked, the solution to all hacking threats is backup, backup, backup.

Back