Blog Idea: 8 things you should never do in a hotel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
8 things you should never do in a hotel. Which of these rules do you follow or forget? http://ht.ly/jfmmy
Anyone care to write a counter article? Why most of these things you can do at a B&B?

• I drink the water but I wash the glasses out first.
  • And I have no problem picking up the remote. I know, I must be a walking germ factory!
  • I do check for bed bugs.
  • Never sleep with the nasty comforter anywhere near me even if it means I have to wear a sweater to bed.
  • I don't answer the door, I do leave the TV on and put the 'do not disturb' sign out.
  • I am aware of the front desk staff giving out room numbers out loud. (Most do not do this any longer.)
  • I am aware of who is on the elevator with me and won't get on an elevator with a lone guy. (Sorry nice guys everywhere, but your brethren have given you a bad name.)
  • Avoid the minibar like the plague!
  • Always lock and deadbolt the door. Never prop the door open.
  • Always take my stuff with me. (OK, left my stuff in the fleabag the other day. Of all places! But, the room next to us had their drapes open and all of their electronics were right on the table in front of the window. Figured that was a more likely target than a room that looked empty.)

"Private hotel rooms are a surprisingly public space, shared by several thousand strangers each year."
What kind of hotels does the author of this piece frequent? Rooms rented by the hour?
The maximum number of strangers who you could be sharing your hotel room with in any given year is only 365! And most likely, the number is much less than that.

"Private hotel rooms are a surprisingly public space, shared by several thousand strangers each year."
What kind of hotels does the author of this piece frequent? Rooms rented by the hour?
The maximum number of strangers who you could be sharing your hotel room with in any given year is only 365! And most likely, the number is much less than that..
Harborfields said:
The maximum number of strangers who you could be sharing your hotel room with in any given year is only 365! And most likely, the number is much less than that.
Twice that probably, but sometimes quadruple if kids are involved. But, yeah, not likely there are only single night stays and not likely every room being filled every night.
Maybe that was fuzzy thinking in that the writer was talking about all the guests in the hotel or maybe like the way it used to be said, 'Keep in mind you have sex with everyone your partner has ever been with.' You're sleeping in that hotel room with everyone the previous guest came in contact with from their door to the hotel. Germ-wise.

• And I have no problem picking up the remote. I know, I must be a walking germ factory!
  • Never sleep with the nasty comforter anywhere near me even if it means I have to wear a sweater to bed.
  • I don't answer the door, I do leave the TV on and put the 'do not disturb' sign out.
  • I am aware of the front desk staff giving out room numbers out loud. (Most do not do this any longer.)
  • I am aware of who is on the elevator with me and won't get on an elevator with a lone guy. (Sorry nice guys everywhere, but your brethren have given you a bad name.)
  • Always take my stuff with me. (OK, left my stuff in the fleabag the other day. Of all places! But, the room next to us had their drapes open and all of their electronics were right on the table in front of the window. Figured that was a more likely target than a room that looked empty.)
If you want to get crazy about it, the germs on your money, and on the bottom of your purse will beat those on the remote. Live dangerous I say too. I do wash my hands a lot!

If you want to get crazy about it, the germs on your money, and on the bottom of your purse will beat those on the remote. Live dangerous I say too. I do wash my hands a lot!
Yeah, considering what percent of our money has traces of cocaine on it, money is filthy. (90%, BTW. But not necessarily from direct contact, there's a lot of transference going on there.)
Then again, what was that study that a TV show did where they sent brand new, on the racks clothing off to be tested for 'germs'? http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/gma-found-clothes-clean/story?id=9482373#.UVDmUjeyF84

It's a ridiculous story. Sounds like someone was struggling to turn in an assignment under a deadline and threw this together. 'Don't drink the tap water because one hotel in the history of recorded hotel stories had a dead body in the water tank' Really?!

I knew you would get a kick out of it. Telling people in a hotel room to not touch a remote control. ha ha. It is a ridiculous article!

It's a ridiculous story. Sounds like someone was struggling to turn in an assignment under a deadline and threw this together. 'Don't drink the tap water because one hotel in the history of recorded hotel stories had a dead body in the water tank' Really?!.
K9 said:
It's a ridiculous story. Sounds like someone was struggling to turn in an assignment under a deadline and threw this together. 'Don't drink the tap water because one hotel in the history of recorded hotel stories had a dead body in the water tank' Really?!
That is a true story. It only happened last month. But, does it happen everywhere? Not very likely! And it is a situation where you trust your instincts...water tastes 'off?' Don't drink it a second time!

It's a ridiculous story. Sounds like someone was struggling to turn in an assignment under a deadline and threw this together. 'Don't drink the tap water because one hotel in the history of recorded hotel stories had a dead body in the water tank' Really?!.
K9 said:
That is a true story. It only happened last month. But, does it happen everywhere? Not very likely! And it is a situation where you trust your instincts...water tastes 'off?' Don't drink it a second time!
I knew it was a true story. But that's what I was saying - it's never happened before, so why make rules from it.

I don’t believe in those statements. You as a citizen know between what is right and wrong and it will just depend on you what you will do. And besides, you were a guest in a specific hotel. I could remember to your discussion when a friend of mine told me she experienced it in Putrajaya hotel with someone but don’t really know if it is true.

I would be interested in writing a counter article if had a platform. Maybe once my blog is up. It is definitely a different experience at a b&b.
I am not a germ-a-phobe what so ever. I clean my rooms well but when I'm at a hotel or any public place I don't worry about germs. (I work in a pharmacy as my "real job" if that can't scare me nothing will!) Exposure to germs is what builds our immune system. This whole "germs are evil" mind set is why everyone is sick all the time! Ok...off my soap box. lol
The video of the naked guy made my night though. Poor idiotic man.

Back