Blog Ideas - Post 'em here

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Joey for the offer, much appreciated. Nope copy and paste to your hearts content, credit is nice but my hope is that people can just get some useful ideas :)
I did do some facebook fan post ideas recently if anyone is interested, had some ideas that were just ideas and had not been test run as of yet, so if anyone is feeling adventurous, please let me know if you get any results (good, bad or indifferent) from them.
http://chefforfeng.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/facebook-promotion-ideas-for-lodging/
Cheers!

Thanks Joey for the offer, much appreciated. Nope copy and paste to your hearts content, credit is nice but my hope is that people can just get some useful ideas :)
I did do some facebook fan post ideas recently if anyone is interested, had some ideas that were just ideas and had not been test run as of yet, so if anyone is feeling adventurous, please let me know if you get any results (good, bad or indifferent) from them.
http://chefforfeng.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/facebook-promotion-ideas-for-lodging/
Cheers!.
From there I clicked thru to the food costing blog (thank you for that!) Without going thru the whole blog, can you tell me if that's a good place to look for portion control info? The costing is a problem but the portion size is what's driving the cost. I need to be able to present a portion size 'bible' to the cook to get the portions back under control. The longer a particular entree is made, the larger it gets. (So, an omelet that started off in an 8" pan is now in a 12" pan because it looks 'too small' to the cook.)
However, if I am wrong about the portion sizes, I need to see that so I just shut up about it!

Your portion control question is a bit of tough one to give an easy answer to. There are a lot of good sites out there with generic amounts/cost factors/information. Joe (who does the food control blog) is happy to answer questions and is very knowledge (one of the reasons we are cross linked) he's also a sweetheart.
Your best bet though if you haven't done it already (I used to do this when I was cooking for a living)
Put in an excel spreadsheet most of your stock grocery items.And then do individual ones for the recipes.
If you are comfortable putting formulas in, I would cross reference them so the info from the main (grocery) feeds into the recipe sheets. This way you can track both portion size and the variable prices. Don't forget to factor in your yields for products if you don't already.
I don't think your wrong about the portion sizes, this is a pretty common problem, I used to deal with it all the time especially with line cooks and waitstaff adding an couple of extra tomato slices and "a few" more specialty olives because the plates looked a little "bare" LOL

Hi Heather - my close by and yet so far friend! (She was only a mile away on I-40 and blew on by!!!) I LOVE that 25 thing post of yours. Don't ever dump it. I have had it bookmarked for months.
Blogging is my passion. Blogging ideas float in and outa my head all the time, so I keep notes to myself on my phone and a text file on my computer desktop and when an idea comes up i get it down on something before its gone. (sigh...yes my mind is a sieve and the holes are getting bigger all the time.)
Never leave the house without your cell phone (with camera) or keep a digital camera with you at all times. Even a trip to Costco can privide you an oportunity to blog. Unusual things like a line out the door at a store nearby, a beautiful cloud formation, a particularly weird vehicle going down the road...you name it! You may see a billboard with a cool upcoming event. You may get stuck in traffic because the president is in town, (yep-happened).
Blog about controversial stuff hapening in your area...you don't have to take sides, just be interesting. Watch the local news. Pick up the local paper.
When making a favorite meal, take pics while you prep and blog about it.
Many people get off on knowing the intimate things that a local would know about an area before they get there. Feed that.
There you go. My two cents again.

Hi Heather - my close by and yet so far friend! (She was only a mile away on I-40 and blew on by!!!) I LOVE that 25 thing post of yours. Don't ever dump it. I have had it bookmarked for months.
Blogging is my passion. Blogging ideas float in and outa my head all the time, so I keep notes to myself on my phone and a text file on my computer desktop and when an idea comes up i get it down on something before its gone. (sigh...yes my mind is a sieve and the holes are getting bigger all the time.)
Never leave the house without your cell phone (with camera) or keep a digital camera with you at all times. Even a trip to Costco can privide you an oportunity to blog. Unusual things like a line out the door at a store nearby, a beautiful cloud formation, a particularly weird vehicle going down the road...you name it! You may see a billboard with a cool upcoming event. You may get stuck in traffic because the president is in town, (yep-happened).
Blog about controversial stuff hapening in your area...you don't have to take sides, just be interesting. Watch the local news. Pick up the local paper.
Many people get off on knowing the intimate things that a local would know about an area before they get there. Feed that.
There you go. My two cents again..
aieechihuahua said:
Aieechi I had those exact thoughts today. Great insights!
Okay so this is kinda funny - there is a big grand opening sign just outside town here. Big sign "OPEN HOUSE!!!" with balloons and flags.
I didn't have my camera...but if I did, what I would post here would be something Morticia might like - an OPEN HOUSE for A FUNERAL HOME, MORTUARY! I drove past shaking my head so hard and laughing.
I got the local paper today and there was a large ad there too. I half expected it to say "Test Drive"
Then while at the Orthodontist with a kid today - there was a wine magazine that said "Father Knows Best" and was speaking of the Father of our country who is also from this state, Old Dominion. So I took one of the gazillion subscription cards and wrote that line on it and stuck in my bag. Not sure how I will turn that into a blog, but by golly I am going to try!
cheers.gif

Your portion control question is a bit of tough one to give an easy answer to. There are a lot of good sites out there with generic amounts/cost factors/information. Joe (who does the food control blog) is happy to answer questions and is very knowledge (one of the reasons we are cross linked) he's also a sweetheart.
Your best bet though if you haven't done it already (I used to do this when I was cooking for a living)
Put in an excel spreadsheet most of your stock grocery items.And then do individual ones for the recipes.
If you are comfortable putting formulas in, I would cross reference them so the info from the main (grocery) feeds into the recipe sheets. This way you can track both portion size and the variable prices. Don't forget to factor in your yields for products if you don't already.
I don't think your wrong about the portion sizes, this is a pretty common problem, I used to deal with it all the time especially with line cooks and waitstaff adding an couple of extra tomato slices and "a few" more specialty olives because the plates looked a little "bare" LOL.
Ha, ha, tell me about the 'bare' plates! Actually, tho, we made a pointed decision to add 'flair' to the plates and it has made the dining experience so much better. The presentation is spot on and guests ooh and aah and say it looks "too good to eat, where's my camera?" before they dive in. THAT is worth the extra $10/week for 'frills.'
Hate to say it but we have never tracked food costs except to add it up at the end of the year and divide by the number of guests. It holds pretty steady no matter what we're making. I just get panicky now when it seems like there is a lot more food left over after the guests are gone.
Part of the problem is Gomez comes from a very large family so he's familiar with cooking 10 lbs of potatoes for dinner. My family had 1 potato/person so 10 lbs of potatoes looks huge to me! At least he's comfortable cooking for crowds!

aieechihuahua said:
Okay so this is kinda funny - there is a big grand opening sign just outside town here. Big sign "OPEN HOUSE!!!" with balloons and flags.
I didn't have my camera...but if I did, what I would post here would be something Morticia might like - an OPEN HOUSE for A FUNERAL HOME, MORTUARY! I drove past shaking my head so hard and laughing.
I got the local paper today and there was a large ad there too. I half expected it to say "Test Drive"
Then while at the Orthodontist with a kid today - there was a wine magazine that said "Father Knows Best" and was speaking of the Father of our country who is also from this state, Old Dominion. So I took one of the gazillion subscription cards and wrote that line on it and stuck in my bag. Not sure how I will turn that into a blog, but by golly I am going to try!
cheers.gif

You got it! You go girl!!!!!
Link to your blog? not public, no prob. Please email to me if you'd like to share it, though.

We are sorry we blew on by, dealing with a hungry irritable tired husband and two restless german shepherds were not something I wanted to inflict on you, You would have been secretly cursing me after the fact :)
Regarding the post, can I snag Never leave the house without your cell phone (with camera) or keep a digital camera with you at all times. Even a trip to Costco can privide you an oportunity to blog. Unusual things like a line out the door at a store nearby, a beautiful cloud formation, a particularly weird vehicle going down the road...you name it! You may see a billboard with a cool upcoming event. You may get stuck in traffic because the president is in town, (yep-happened).
And put an addedum to the post, with credit of course, they are awesome additional comments.

I don't think your wrong about the portion sizes, this is a pretty common problem, I used to deal with it all the time especially with line cooks and waitstaff adding an couple of extra tomato slices and "a few" more specialty olives because the plates looked a little "bare" LOL.
Ha, ha, tell me about the 'bare' plates! Actually, tho, we made a pointed decision to add 'flair' to the plates and it has made the dining experience so much better. The presentation is spot on and guests ooh and aah and say it looks "too good to eat, where's my camera?" before they dive in. THAT is worth the extra $10/week for 'frills.'
Hate to say it but we have never tracked food costs except to add it up at the end of the year and divide by the number of guests. It holds pretty steady no matter what we're making. I just get panicky now when it seems like there is a lot more food left over after the guests are gone.
Part of the problem is Gomez comes from a very large family so he's familiar with cooking 10 lbs of potatoes for dinner. My family had 1 potato/person so 10 lbs of potatoes looks huge to me! At least he's comfortable cooking for crowds!
Hi M, "Hate to say it but we have never tracked food costs except to add it up at the end of the year and divide by the number of guests."
I actually cringed when you said that. Please shoot me, its ok. :)
Does it just seem like there is more food left over or are you actually tracking it? If not, start a waste list (just like in a restaurant) and itemize what and how much is getting thrown out. You may start to find some trends in this,
i.e. its mostly the blueberry pancakes or the granola getting chucked for example. Did you change recipes or start using a different brand? or perhaps the recipe just needs adjusting. Your using a different brand of frozen blueberries for example. This is a bit more sour then the previous brand used, go back to the old brand or adjust the sweetness.
If the flavor and quality is not an issue on pancakes for example, try cutting them back from 3 to 2, or try smaller sizes and see if there is as much wastage. If you are adding flair to the plates the smaller amounts should not be as noticable and if it is and you have the ability/availability of doing it, use smaller plates for service.
But the only way you'll get the answer to the "it seems" issue is actually track it and identify what the wastage is. I hear you on the Gomez thing. I still have trouble cooking for 2 sometimes when I'm used to cooking for several hundred. :)

aieechihuahua said:
cheers.gif

Thats a trip, sort of like all those times I drive by on the way to the supermarket, the two signs together, Kentucky Fried Chicken and SuperSun Tanning salon and wish I had my camera.

Hi M, "Hate to say it but we have never tracked food costs except to add it up at the end of the year and divide by the number of guests."
Does it just seem like there is more food left over or are you actually tracking it? If not, start a waste list (just like in a restaurant) and itemize what and how much is getting thrown out. You may start to find some trends in this,
i.e. its mostly the blueberry pancakes or the granola getting chucked for example. Did you change recipes or start using a different brand? or perhaps the recipe just needs adjusting. Your using a different brand of frozen blueberries for example. This is a bit more sour then the previous brand used, go back to the old brand or adjust the sweetness.
If the flavor and quality is not an issue on pancakes for example, try cutting them back from 3 to 2, or try smaller sizes and see if there is as much wastage. If you are adding flair to the plates the smaller amounts should not be as noticable and if it is and you have the ability/availability of doing it, use smaller plates for service.
But the only way you'll get the answer to the "it seems" issue is actually track it and identify what the wastage is. I hear you on the Gomez thing. I still have trouble cooking for 2 sometimes when I'm used to cooking for several hundred. :)
Casually keeping track, I would say we are actually throwing away less food now that we've added the 'decor' to the plates, even tho the portions are larger. Perhaps, tho, what is really happening is that we've changed up the menu slightly to serve fewer 'casseroles' and more 'fresh off the griddle' foods.
A great example of what you said was a new bacon we tried last month. It LOOKED burnt because of the maple syrup in it and hardly anyone ate it. Even the folks who tried it, left it. So, no more of that bacon.
We also removed the crust from the quiche after that got left behind or turned down. More guests eat the quiche with toast now than would eat the quiche with crust before.
Gomez hates when I put it this way, but we're moving more toward 'diner' food (which we both love) and away from 'what is that?' gourmet food.

Casually keeping track, I would say we are actually throwing away less food now that we've added the 'decor' to the plates, even tho the portions are larger. Perhaps, tho, what is really happening is that we've changed up the menu slightly to serve fewer 'casseroles' and more 'fresh off the griddle' foods.
A great example of what you said was a new bacon we tried last month. It LOOKED burnt because of the maple syrup in it and hardly anyone ate it. Even the folks who tried it, left it. So, no more of that bacon.
We also removed the crust from the quiche after that got left behind or turned down. More guests eat the quiche with toast now than would eat the quiche with crust before.
Gomez hates when I put it this way, but we're moving more toward 'diner' food (which we both love) and away from 'what is that?' gourmet food.
Morticia said:
That's what we do. I would call it Wine Country Fresh Breakfasts. We put our money in local meats which are more expensive, but people love it and eat it. We do things like pancakes with local bacon, farm fresh herb scrambled eggs with local sausage. Start with basic fruit course, and second course a muffin.
When I ask what people don't wish to be served, I always get "no" for poached eggs, seafood, hollandaise sauce.
I see more and more very picky eaters. But then again, they say the don't eat this and that and then eat the whole breakfast. We just had a couple and she does not eat egg yolks, cheese, meat, etc. but ate our breakfast. I'm not sure what it is, but we have very little waste right now.
Riki

Radical thought - smaller plates. My Steubenville dishes have dinner plates and luncheon plates. I use the luncheon plates for breakast. They look filled with less food.

Radical thought - smaller plates. My Steubenville dishes have dinner plates and luncheon plates. I use the luncheon plates for breakast. They look filled with less food.
sorry I know that was an obvious one about the smaller plates, wasn't trying to assume anyone was being blonde (I am one so I can say that) but when I do consults for restaurants its amazing how many people just don't think about it. Go figure. :)

I guess my question is this - are you charging enough to cover the meals? If so, fogettaboutit.
Are you worried you are spending too much $ per meal, are you not using this $ on your taxes as a business expense? As long as there is not a ton of waste, and guests are enjoying the food then you're doing what you want to do.
What if the food was lousy and they waste it due to that, not due to to much food? I ask as we recently ate someplace that was lousy. I am sure people left food on the plate due to 1) temperature, 2) poor quality 3) lack of flavor etc... Not saying -AT ALL- your food is this way, just bringing this up for the group on this forum. I think you mentioned burnt toast or food at a B&B this past year.
How much is too much per person? Care to share the per person cost? What is the budget?
I know we spend more on coffee per person than a couple inns who posted their average cost meal on this forum. We are not high end, but we want to provide a nice meal and experience and have happy guests.

I guess my question is this - are you charging enough to cover the meals? If so, fogettaboutit.
Are you worried you are spending too much $ per meal, are you not using this $ on your taxes as a business expense? As long as there is not a ton of waste, and guests are enjoying the food then you're doing what you want to do.
What if the food was lousy and they waste it due to that, not due to to much food? I ask as we recently ate someplace that was lousy. I am sure people left food on the plate due to 1) temperature, 2) poor quality 3) lack of flavor etc... Not saying -AT ALL- your food is this way, just bringing this up for the group on this forum. I think you mentioned burnt toast or food at a B&B this past year.
How much is too much per person? Care to share the per person cost? What is the budget?
I know we spend more on coffee per person than a couple inns who posted their average cost meal on this forum. We are not high end, but we want to provide a nice meal and experience and have happy guests..
I am going to start a new forum topic with this one if y'all don't mind, not sure how we went from blogging to food costing LOL
(swirt added link to the new topic)

We are sorry we blew on by, dealing with a hungry irritable tired husband and two restless german shepherds were not something I wanted to inflict on you, You would have been secretly cursing me after the fact :)
Regarding the post, can I snag Never leave the house without your cell phone (with camera) or keep a digital camera with you at all times. Even a trip to Costco can privide you an oportunity to blog. Unusual things like a line out the door at a store nearby, a beautiful cloud formation, a particularly weird vehicle going down the road...you name it! You may see a billboard with a cool upcoming event. You may get stuck in traffic because the president is in town, (yep-happened).
And put an addedum to the post, with credit of course, they are awesome additional comments.
Oh yes, Chef! I LOVE recognition! Who doesn't? You know who I am, so go for it. It was my moment of clarity yesterday. LOL

I know we spend more on coffee per person than a couple inns who posted their average cost meal on this forum. We are not high end, but we want to provide a nice meal and experience and have happy guests..
I am going to start a new forum topic with this one if y'all don't mind, not sure how we went from blogging to food costing LOL
(swirt added link to the new topic)
We do get off topic, eh? I love that too.

For me there is no budget. Food costs what food costs. If it's $30/day or $60/day it is what it is. Of course we do try to alternate what we're using so we use everything up before it goes bad. So, today's berried french toast may turn into Saturday's very berry starter course.
Last time we calculated the food cost (and just food, not anything else like the utilities to cook the food and store the food, etc) it was $10/person. That's all the food- if you ate it or didn't, if I threw half of it away or all of it away (those dang quiche mornings!), if you had a box of cereal or nothing at all, if I bought yogurt just for you, etc including the afternoon snacks and teas & coffees. Not sure if I could break it out to just breakfast.

IMG_0721.JPG

I have a 95 year old cousin who had to go to a nursing home 2 years ago against her will, so I promised to take her for a car ride every Wednesday. I can use my iPhone map (GPS) to keep me from getting lost, and the camera captures what I see along the way. There is a town called Knaw Bone in the southern part of the state, and I knew we had a Lickskillet, but didn't realize it was so close to home.
regular_smile.gif
(The other edge of town is just beyond the stop sign in the background)
I suppose I'll use it in a blog eventually, but not for a while. Also got a picture of a round barn on the same trip yesterday, which is much more blog-worthy.
IMG_0728.JPG

Back