Blog Ideas - Post 'em here

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you care to share any blog article ideas - please post 'em here. If borrowed we would be happy to give credit and a link to your blog and/or B&B.
Just saw this article and thought, perhaps this would make a good blog article for each of us - listing things of interest near your B&B that are FREE.
Washington DC for Twenty-Somethings[/h2]Article in full here

Restaurants. I know you've had trouble with this one, tho, so there needs to be a caveat in the posting (just like all writers have about destinations): Call before driving any distance as hours, location and menus may have changed.
It's awful when guests come back and tell me, 'It was closed,' about anything I recommended. We do have a restaurant that does close whenever they feel there's not enough traffic to stay open.
I also wouldn't do a review, just the facts ma'am.
Blogging about personal stuff is ok, too. Just not overly personal. Our repeats enjoy reading about our vacations. If we go out for a drive I try to make sure to remember the camera to blog about things we saw along the way. (Batteries died last time and I was absolutely certain that THIS was going to be the trip where a moose walked out in front of us or there were seals on the shore.)
And blogging about inn stuff, not related to staying, is fun as well. The number one link clicked in the last email was to read about the reno. Guests are interested. Potential guests like to see you're keeping up the place. Also, it generates interest in seeing more.
Local news. Amazingly, here anyway, guests want to know what's been going on locally. It's odd what we get asked about. Which reminds me of something I can blog about. Wildlife. Guests want to know about what they might see 'in the wild.' Where's the best place to go, when, etc. And there are better places to go and better times to go there.
Blogging about things you are interested in makes the blog more readable, too. I know when I''m blogging just to blog there's something missing.
What I wouldn't spend a lot of time blogging about are things you're obssessed with. There is someone on my FB page who writes incessantly about her pet peeve. She's going to be blocked here pretty soon. I thought maybe she was having a bad week awhile ago, but that's all she posts about.

If it's something that's fun for you to do, it will likely be fun for your guests to hear about. That includes blogging about funny family stories, stories about your family pets, and yes, most guests love hearing about wildlife.
Have a bird feeder? If not, get one. Take pix of your favorite birds at the feeder. Tell stories about them.
Do you take a walk every day? Make the sites you see a part of your blog. Those are the same sites they'll see and they tell the story of your town. Just a photo and caption will do if you're in a hurry.
Folks want to get to know you and the area through the blog. It's an opportunity for them to discover the vibe of the place before they arrive - and stay in touch long after they've left.
Make sure your personality comes through loud and clear in the stories. After all, your personality is all over your inn. Guests want to know who you are because through those stories they'll feel a connection to your place long before they make that connection in person.
And yes, talk about those restaurants you love. What's your favorite dish? What's special about the chef or the menu? Is there a music venue in town that you especially love? Tell them why.
Tell them stories of your life, plain and simple.

I was hoping for more specific blog article ideas - not just describing in general what to blog.
I was asking if anyone has a specific blog article idea that we can "share" and we would give credit to the author and the inn. For example someone posted a blog about the year in statistics at their inn, ie how many guests from overseas or foreign languages spoken, the furthest guests have traveled, youngest guest, etc Just some trivia for guests. I thought this would make a neat little laminated trivia card for their breakfast table as well.
Any specific article ideas you care to "share"? Consider it a retweet of your article, only in blog form. :)

I was hoping for more specific blog article ideas - not just describing in general what to blog.
I was asking if anyone has a specific blog article idea that we can "share" and we would give credit to the author and the inn. For example someone posted a blog about the year in statistics at their inn, ie how many guests from overseas or foreign languages spoken, the furthest guests have traveled, youngest guest, etc Just some trivia for guests. I thought this would make a neat little laminated trivia card for their breakfast table as well.
Any specific article ideas you care to "share"? Consider it a retweet of your article, only in blog form. :).
I enjoyed blogging about my trip to Virginia and the wonderful innkeeper I met.
I have blogged about other places in WV and inns/places I visited. Today we are back in winter wonderland - grrr!! The postponed Council of churches meeting (postponed because of snow and cold) is tonight and MUST take place because Lent is coming up quick and tonight is snow and cold!! Off topic rant! Sorry

So you want a specific blog post we've made that can be 'reblogged' with a link from your blog to ours? And vice versa.
So, the 'inn stats' blog could be linked to multiple other blogs with the same format? I blog about inn stats and say, 'And here's Joey's take on that from her place'?

BLOG IDEA:
Track Your Ancestry - Trace your Roots
Post some info on the first immigrants to your state or area of your state, links to research libraries and/or historical & Heritage sites coinciding with those first immigrants. Africa, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, South America, etc. Maybe some old world maps.
mapAfrica.jpg

BLOG IDEA:
Track Your Ancestry - Trace your Roots
Post some info on the first immigrants to your state or area of your state, links to research libraries and/or historical & Heritage sites coinciding with those first immigrants. Africa, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, South America, etc. Maybe some old world maps.
mapAfrica.jpg
Love that idea. We have people who come our way to look at the old cemetaries to see if they can find their deceased ancestors

A list from a Tweet post. 25 things for a B&B to blog about. Also check out some of the other posts on her blog. I cringed when I read her 'Tale of 2 inns'.
I also disagree with some of the points she made. Guests may ask what your favorite room is, but they may not have the same taste you do. Guests, and we all get them, may want the price and that's it, no upselling. (Altho, she does, with her questions indicate she is wanting an upsell.) Most guests are not prepared, as she was, to know what they want. They say, 'What's your place like?' If you return with, 'What would you be interested in knowing about- our rooms, the location, the breakfast?' I get back, 'Whatever.'
And yet, I can have very encouraging conversations with guests who get all the info and never call back, and, unlike the blogger, will not tell me who they are so I can call back to see if they're still interested. Or find out where they went instead.

btw - you lost your title of "Queen of Discounts"...you've been the "Queen of Blogging" for quite awhile. ;-)

25 Blogging ideas for Inns and B&B’s (also useful for things to tweet about)[/h2]January 6, 2010 by chefforfeng
  1. Recipes: recipes you use, recipes you’ve come across that sounded good that the inn is going to try at some point, recipes given to you by guests or friends (including other innkeepers).*caveat: No poaching of Google images, take the photos yourself or buy from a stock photo source or guests may have pictures to share with you (always credit them) Good images can be obtained for around a buck from stock photo sources. If the recipe is something you serve on a regular basis, highly recommended you take an actual photo or use stock that comes very very close to the real thing. I hope I don’t have to explain why
    icon_smile.gif
  2. Recipe failures with a funny story.
  3. Guest Comments.
  4. Your Inn in the News.
  5. Area attractions in the news.
  6. A frequent and Loyal Guest in the News.
  7. Specials and Packages at your inn.
  8. Area Attractions with contact information about the attraction, a weblink, directions and why its interesting.
  9. Area attractions reviews (including dining).*caveat: especially if its dining, make sure it’s a review that a recent guest or guests had and not your personal point of view, i.e. don’t piss off the locals that might refer you.
  10. Trip Itineraries for Guests, make a custom Google map pined with locations (this is free by the way and easy to use)
  11. Pictures of the inn: if it’s food give a title to it if it’s not accompanied by a recipe, if it’s a particular location in or around the inn, describe it.
  12. Pictures of happy guests, with their permission and preferably in writing. Customizable Model Releases in MS word.
  13. Area Events going on, you can also tie this into area restaurants having specialty diners or wine tastings.
  14. A brief, “we get frequent questions “about” and put in answers.
  15. What does your inn do to differentiate itself from the others.
  16. You just found a new product you are using it and love, be it food or a new fabric softener, describe it and explain why you love it.
  17. Funny guest stories. *caveat: make them funny and only funny, proof heavily to make sure they are not negative in any way. While a wife may go into the wrong room by mistake in the middle of the night may have very amusing consequences, it raises things like don’t they have locks on the doors? (even if you do and point out they didn’t lock them) etc. etc.
  18. Do some food specific reviews. You have a couple of apple orchards nearby. Do some write-ups on the apples, do some research on types of apples, link to sources.
  19. Research and write about area birds that come to and hang around the inns, pictures are always a plus.
  20. Research and do some write-ups about the area plants and trees in the area. You have a historic stand of black birches in the area, some history, background (and pictures) you grow opal basil in your inn garden, tie it into some recipes you use and write about the difference in taste and appearance between that and regular basil.
  21. Ask for feedback, from blog readers and from prior guests. You just went from goose down pillows to memory foam pillows. Ask for some thoughts from people; don’t forget to include the link to this blog article when you do your next email blast.
  22. A bio of yourselves and/or your staff.
  23. A book review or commentary about a local author.
  24. Suggestions for weather/time of year guests. i.e. August is prime season for ticks in New England, add tick repellent tips, wear white, use a good repellent (which we also keep extra of the at inn by the way) etc. etc. On hot muggy days our guests like to go to a cool shaded out of the way place to dip and bring a picnic (provided by the inn as an amenity of course).
  25. Targeted things to do, coming with an elder relative, they might like…. Coming with young children, they might like….Bringing your dog, you and your pup might like……
From Chefforfeng's Weblog
Link is here
This is the article Mort was referring to.

I have a blog post set up for next week on the 3/50 project, which is easily adaptable for any location and has a special little Valentine's Day logo that could be posted. Some of our local stores are using their flyers to encourage people to shop at independently owned businesses.

I have a blog post set up for next week on the 3/50 project, which is easily adaptable for any location and has a special little Valentine's Day logo that could be posted. Some of our local stores are using their flyers to encourage people to shop at independently owned businesses..
That is being promoted by one of our areas here. Interestingly enough, the downtown area is not promoting it at all. dur....

Hi Guys, this is Heather, you posted my 25 ideas for blogging for inns, thank you! I hope you got some useful ideas from it.
I do have a question for Morticia (Bree?) I love feedback from innkeepers and appreciate the points you make as they are all true, the calls were very much staged and directed. I would appreciate a comment on my post if you have time as it does encourage future discussion. In this particular case it was a fact finding mission only.
When I personally call to book a reservation at a B&B somewhere, I generally do my own research as to what, where etc. and I don't grill the innkeepers. Whether I book is whether the innkeeper is friendly and smiling over the phone. I have not made a rez at places where you wouldn't believe the tone of voice and greeting used. Fortunately that hasn't happened often. :) The "Hello, this is the @@@@@ Inn" whadya want?" did kind of floor me recently though. LOL
"And yet, I can have very encouraging conversations with guests who get all the info and never call back, and, unlike the blogger, will not tell me who they are so I can call back to see if they're still interested. Or find out where they went instead."
I do hear this from many innkeepers and I think similar to being in any type of service business, you do get a lot of people fishing. I know its impossible to get contact info for everyone, (one of the reasons I love caller ID) but I do know alot of the inns I work with frequently forget to try to ask for contact info and thats why I encourage them to use postits or someother form of visual reminder.
"I also disagree with some of the points she made. Guests may ask what your favorite room is, but they may not have the same taste you do. Guests, and we all get them, may want the price and that's it, no upselling. (Altho, she does, with her questions indicate she is wanting an upsell.) Most guests are not prepared, as she was, to know what they want. They say, 'What's your place like?' If you return with, 'What would you be interested in knowing about- our rooms, the location, the breakfast?' I get back, 'Whatever.'
In regards to the "whatever" you get back from people, Like selling in any industry, giving options back to the customers sometimes is overload, As is answering a question with a question. I would suggest running up an elevator pitch (under 3 minutes) for people so when you get a vague question like that you are prepared to reel off. "Our guests are welcome to enjoy our B&B, which has 6 rooms decorated with Shaker Style furniture, 4 with gas fireplaces, 3 great restaurants within walking distance etc etc. and Share something interesting about yourself." There's a nice aticle about pitching here http://www.elevatorpitchessentials.com/essays/ElevatorPitch.html

Hi Guys, this is Heather, you posted my 25 ideas for blogging for inns, thank you! I hope you got some useful ideas from it.
I do have a question for Morticia (Bree?) I love feedback from innkeepers and appreciate the points you make as they are all true, the calls were very much staged and directed. I would appreciate a comment on my post if you have time as it does encourage future discussion. In this particular case it was a fact finding mission only.
When I personally call to book a reservation at a B&B somewhere, I generally do my own research as to what, where etc. and I don't grill the innkeepers. Whether I book is whether the innkeeper is friendly and smiling over the phone. I have not made a rez at places where you wouldn't believe the tone of voice and greeting used. Fortunately that hasn't happened often. :) The "Hello, this is the @@@@@ Inn" whadya want?" did kind of floor me recently though. LOL
"And yet, I can have very encouraging conversations with guests who get all the info and never call back, and, unlike the blogger, will not tell me who they are so I can call back to see if they're still interested. Or find out where they went instead."
I do hear this from many innkeepers and I think similar to being in any type of service business, you do get a lot of people fishing. I know its impossible to get contact info for everyone, (one of the reasons I love caller ID) but I do know alot of the inns I work with frequently forget to try to ask for contact info and thats why I encourage them to use postits or someother form of visual reminder.
"I also disagree with some of the points she made. Guests may ask what your favorite room is, but they may not have the same taste you do. Guests, and we all get them, may want the price and that's it, no upselling. (Altho, she does, with her questions indicate she is wanting an upsell.) Most guests are not prepared, as she was, to know what they want. They say, 'What's your place like?' If you return with, 'What would you be interested in knowing about- our rooms, the location, the breakfast?' I get back, 'Whatever.'
In regards to the "whatever" you get back from people, Like selling in any industry, giving options back to the customers sometimes is overload, As is answering a question with a question. I would suggest running up an elevator pitch (under 3 minutes) for people so when you get a vague question like that you are prepared to reel off. "Our guests are welcome to enjoy our B&B, which has 6 rooms decorated with Shaker Style furniture, 4 with gas fireplaces, 3 great restaurants within walking distance etc etc. and Share something interesting about yourself." There's a nice aticle about pitching here http://www.elevatorpitchessentials.com/essays/ElevatorPitch.html.
Hi Heather!
Glad you could join us. The resons I didn't post my comments directly on your blog is that the blog post itself was not current and I figured it wasn't going to generate a lot of talk if I posted it there. (Also figured you'd find us here from the click-thrus!)
Thanks for the suggestion to get the 'elevator speech' ready.
We do tend to get a lot of 'grilling' and have mentioned that on here before. Personally, I've spent upwards of hours on phone calls that elicited every bit of information from me that they could and amounted to some other location getting the business. And, yes, when the conversations are going on for over 20 minutes at a time I am asking them to close the deal by booking now. But they always have to ask someone else's permission.
Which means, 'Thanks, but no thanks. I sucked all the info from you and now I'll go stay at the cheap-o hotel down the street that couldn't answer any questions but is only charging me $69/night.'

Yes did find you from click throughs :)
I wish I had a pat answer for the fisher people but sadly I don't aside from as I said in my mail to you many times they are more trouble then they are worth so no great loss.

I wish I had a pat answer for the fisher people but sadly I don't aside from as I said in my mail to you many times they are more trouble then they are worth so no great loss..
Forfeng said:
I wish I had a pat answer for the fisher people but sadly I don't aside from as I said in my mail to you many times they are more trouble then they are worth so no great loss.
BTW, now that this thread is back at the top, I've implemented some of the things you mentioned. No success yet, but I feel like I have a plan!

That's good to hear :) Inns that are mapping out their game plans I think are way ahead of the game and will continue to be, so it's encouraging when I hear that. :)

That's good to hear :) Inns that are mapping out their game plans I think are way ahead of the game and will continue to be, so it's encouraging when I hear that. :).
Forfeng said:
That's good to hear :) Inns that are mapping out their game plans I think are way ahead of the game and will continue to be, so it's encouraging when I hear that. :)
Forfeng is you need me to abbrev the article post and make it a link only, just say the word. It is a great article.

Back