Blogging Service Shootout: Blogger vs. WordPress

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tah Arks, one of my fav magazines, besides Popular Mechanics. :)
Important for JB
Excerpt: "If you have more than one blog on Blogger, you can easily switch among them. A main screen lists all of your blogs and shows you basic statistics about each, including the total number of page views, the total number of posts, and the last time you've posted. In addition, you can follow other Blogger blogs from the same page."
End note from me who uses both - they are what you make them, they can have as many bells and whistles (widgets and customization) as the blogger is willing to use/add/learn. I still see inns w/the most basic generic blog style and format, which, at the touch of a button or a click of the mouse can be edited to make it their own. It's all a learning curve, there is no skool required, just jump in with both feet! That is the beauty, if you belly flop you can keep belly flopping til you learn to cannon ball.
tounge_smile.gif

I used blogger for years and recommend it to those who may just be beginning blogging, as it is pretty user friendly and straight forward. I finally started using Wordpress once I had become familiar with blogging as well as knew that I wanted to personalize the blog a lot further than Blogger would allow. Wordpress has a beast of a Content Management System as well as many useful plug-ins to choose from. I have also "turned" my blogger blog into a WP blog pretty easily with the use of a plug in that imported all of the blogger information and formatted it for WP. Admittedly WP has a bigger learning curve, but if you want a more customized look and large choice of features (as far as plug-ins are concerned), I'd recommend WP. They are both amazing platforms though, and at the end of the day content is king.

The only advange to Wordpress is they have an Iphone/Ipad app for updating your blog, so if you want to do updates on the move that's useful. Although it's been two years since I looked for blogger might have one now.
When we travelled New Zealand for 2 weeks I set up a blog for friends/family to follow using WP for the reason above. For my B&B and 2 other blogs I write I use blogger, just because it seems a lot easier to me.

I use WordPress because that is what my web designer had on my web site for me - it is actually when I started blogging. Because it was there.

I used blogger for years and recommend it to those who may just be beginning blogging, as it is pretty user friendly and straight forward. I finally started using Wordpress once I had become familiar with blogging as well as knew that I wanted to personalize the blog a lot further than Blogger would allow. Wordpress has a beast of a Content Management System as well as many useful plug-ins to choose from. I have also "turned" my blogger blog into a WP blog pretty easily with the use of a plug in that imported all of the blogger information and formatted it for WP. Admittedly WP has a bigger learning curve, but if you want a more customized look and large choice of features (as far as plug-ins are concerned), I'd recommend WP. They are both amazing platforms though, and at the end of the day content is king..
MarcZ said:
Admittedly WP has a bigger learning curve, but if you want a more customized look and large choice of features (as far as plug-ins are concerned), I'd recommend WP.
This is so true. Blogger is more intuitive and if you are not planning to spend a lof ot time on your blog, at least in the beginning, and just want a platform to release informations, news and thoughts, then Blogger would be the one for you. Wordpress gives you more possibilities (I'm just thinking of custom fields, for example) and once you've gotten into it, you'll stick with it.
Although
at the end of the day content is king
This is what matters most. Nobody's going to keep on reading a slick, regularly updated blog with pointless and boring posts. It doesn't take long to develop a nice layout and then you should concentrate on writing meaningful content. That's what make people come back.

Back