Blogging... So What Would I Write About Before I Bore Everyone To Suicide?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I know many people blog. I used to blog about travel stuff, when I could actually travel. I don't want to blog about running a B&B. Guests don't really care, do they? I have enough of a hard time finding interesting articles to post of FB and to tweet for my guest and perspective guests to read about things to do. So, give me a few idea, what should I blog about and what would make people want to actually read it, instead of look for a noose.

You are right. I certainly don't want to hear/read about the daily life of an innkeeper :-(
We have a wonderful forum buddy blogger right here. If you look at this site, you should get some ideas.HERE
I would think your insights into Montreal, where to go, what to see, where to eat..would be invaluable to a traveler / guest. You could tell them to read it BEFORE they arrive...might save you some time.

I bet Montreal is bristlng with things to do. How about events comming up? ie XXX festival comes to town on this date join us here for it link up to the web site and hopefully get bookings. Concerts, events, is is a famous person's anniversary of death? Arts events, gallery openings, exhibits, things to do, is anyone famous opening a restaurant? You can blog, facebook and tweet about the same things ie write a long article on your blog link it to a tweet so if people are interested they can click the link to read more and facebook the same. Montreal is a super cool place to live you must be bristling with events. Theatre, ballet, opera, book signings.

I think I lead a very boring life - other than this trip of course - but I have blogged about our high school R O T C, about a WV Hum anities program, events and I am still getting hits on things I blogged about over a yer ago. I also think I am probably a very boring writer, but if it gets people to the web site perhaps they will not notice that they are yawning or will notice and look at the rooms.

Blog about things to do nearby. it helps attract future guests and you will find cool stuff to do. Or at least that is pretty much my strategy.

I did a blog on hummingbirds, on my 50th B-Day, on bread making...I have one that i started on the mississippi river-but didnt finish, sometimes it just starts with an idea maybe personal maybe not-i think my next one will be on grown kids-are they worse than little ones? why.
I should blog more but I think that too much blogging and if I had followers they would not read it if its like twice a week, I try to do it once a month and if I get an idea to do one sooner than i do...sometimes the simplest thing is interesting to someone like beekeeping for instance-do they have any around you? how about something to do with summer? something different?
Don't worry things will come to you and if it differs from last time its an inspiration...thats what i think about a blog:
Here is my latest blog: travelinginnkeepers.blogspot.com

Things to do in the area. Places to eat. Museum shows. Theater openings. St Catherine Street (the good, the bad and the ugly). Local architecture. History. 'How to say it' in French. Odd holidays the English part of Canada wouldn't celebrate. Recipes.
Essentially, you want to work on the 'long tail' of SEO. People are looking for things that are not on your website that would draw them to stay at your place so they could do those things. You can skip the stuff you fill up for anyway.
OTOH, if you don't need the occ, you really don't have to bother unless Erato is sitting on your shoulder egging you on.

Start with your FAQs & turn them into blog posts. Photos also make for great blog posts-you have the picture & develop the post around the photo.
For more tips & tricks, my husband is releasing a book, "Problogger's Guide to Blogging for your Business" (http://problogger.net) which will be on sale starting 6/14.

You're in a city ?
What's not to blog about in a city?........grab a local actities paper

You're in a city ?
What's not to blog about in a city?........grab a local actities paper.
Yes, I'm in a city. I just keep on thinking that everyone else is saying the same stuff. There are all kinds of questions, like how often. Do I talk about the B&B or about the city. Do I therefore start to do what I was doing in FB in the blog and basically tweet everything to fb and twitter. How the heck do I get people to subscribe and read so that I'm not talking to myself all the time like an insane person. How do I keep people interested. How do I start. Where the heck do I link it on my website. It's a lot to think about. Do I include local deals that I see for touristy things that might interest them? Do I put up things to do outside of the city for day trips.

You're in a city ?
Yes, I'm in a city. I just keep on thinking that everyone else is saying the same stuff. There are all kinds of questions, like how often. Do I talk about the B&B or about the city. Do I therefore start to do what I was doing in FB in the blog and basically tweet everything to fb and twitter. How the heck do I get people to subscribe and read so that I'm not talking to myself all the time like an insane person. How do I keep people interested. How do I start. Where the heck do I link it on my website. It's a lot to think about. Do I include local deals that I see for touristy things that might interest them? Do I put up things to do outside of the city for day trips.
You can combine the 3 things...blog about something, link from FB to your blog, have FB automatically post the same thing on Twitter. (Altho you can also have separate content for Twitter as well.)
That's the way you get people to subscribe...post on FB and Twitter to the people already following you. You can also add an email link on your blog so your new posts are sent to whoever signs up.
The major difference I see with the blog vs FB or Twitter is the ability to go deep. You can expand on a topic easily. Give maps, directions, phone numbers, other website info without using up your limited characters.
You can put the blog link on your website wherever you want. Add it to your list of page links. Popular opinion is to get your blog URL to be your domain name (www,myinn,myinnblog) for the best SEO return. If you use Blogger, there is a setup you need to do both on Blogger and your webhost to make the naming thing work.
Heck, you can even make money on your blog by doing Google adwords. That Pioneer Woman claims to be making over a million a year with blog. (Not entirely with adwords.)

You're in a city ?
You can "feed" your blog to Facebook. You don't have to get subscribers. It just becomes integrated into your site.
Anything of interest as everyone here has already said is fair game. You just make it from "your point of view." Don't drone on and on, make things simple short and sweet, include photos etc.
Just jump in and start :)
Where to put it ? Just put a link right with your other navigation links...simple :)

I think the blog is your chance to show your personality. Blog about things that would interest you if you were coming to visit your city. It doesn't really matter if everyone's promoting the same thing, your readers will find you and want to see your take on it.

You're in a city ?
I do know in NYC there a weekly papers available filled with activities of that week, month and so on. Including other things of interest, some local news and so on.
things may not seem as inspiring to you.....cause you live there.
A city has a local scene....bars, night clubs, venues for local and visting bands, exhibits and so on.....A city also has history, and I'll bet things you never knew.....You have hockey.
You can blog of what you currently know and what is going on.....you can blog about up coming events at the local scenes...like...what popular entertainment is coming to town in the next month or over the summer......what new museum exhibit is coming in the fall....
probably the best is to actualy go out and experience some of these things....blog on your experience......You may not care about hockey....Canada is big on hockey.....go to a game, experience the energy of the crowd.......have a local club that has live entertainment....go, check it out.
Any restuarants you like ?
By blogging......you have a golden opportunity to reexperience your city....perhaps see once again for the first time.......find, see, experience things for the first time.
Unless I am mistaken.....isn't your city big on kite flying ?......when I was there many, many years ago I remember in an older part of town...a couple shops dedicated to kites.....kites of all kinds and the chinese rice paper kites
You also have a very nice and clean subway system.......try your public transportation.......blog about how efficient and clean it is and it can take you to all you need to see and do.....I think that alone would be a big plus for vistors.
I also know outside of town....there were dairy farms......can buy local freshly made cheese......best memory I have of that....the fresh curd cheese....chewed and squeeked like chewing a rubber band...wow was that good.....and fun.

Back