BLOGS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a blog that is a really nice blend of 'me' and my business. i post everyday ... or try too...
i talk about whatever inspires me... recipes, design, other blogs, my favorite things from the new crate and barrel catalog... i take pictures....its a very happy place. don't talk about my guests or anything. it is in no way 'bed and breakfast' specific. though, you can access the blog through my b&b website.
i have a gift shoppe here too.. so i have giveaways as well.
i blog to give myself a voice. to share what i love. to see what people think about what i love. people comment and it's great. i love it.
has it drasticlly improved my business. i don't know? but it has helped me connect on a different level. meet new people. it does take time, but for me, its worth it..
four at four forty four said:
i have a blog that is a really nice blend of 'me' and my business. i post everyday ... or try too...
i talk about whatever inspires me... recipes, design, other blogs, my favorite things from the new crate and barrel catalog... i take pictures....its a very happy place. don't talk about my guests or anything. it is in no way 'bed and breakfast' specific. though, you can access the blog through my b&b website.
i have a gift shoppe here too.. so i have giveaways as well.
i blog to give myself a voice. to share what i love. to see what people think about what i love. people comment and it's great. i love it.
has it drasticlly improved my business. i don't know? but it has helped me connect on a different level. meet new people. it does take time, but for me, its worth it.
I think that is fantastic. "Give yourself a voice" is a wonderful term 4 @ 444! The blog is one way to show your personality - as others here will disagree and say that the website does this, not necessarily, and in fact with so many innkeepers who hire out website design it ends up with absolutely nothing to do with the innkeepers personality. Sometimes even our inns do not showcase our personality. Innkeepers say it is how we would like an inn, not always, sometimes it is just what it is. We can't always spend a gazillion and make it just how we would like it. We have to make do with what we have.
The blog is fun, a place to share the bric-a-brac of your business and life. Perhaps this is the place where our guests discover we are not simply hired help to serve them, but real people! Sometimes websites can be cold and just about the B&B, really they should be just about the B&B. BLOG ON!
PS my only comment re the orig post is please everyone, most are visual, so throw some pix onto the blog, a lengthy novella is not what most people are into. :)

oh, and I should have left this yesterday... but if anyone wants to take a look at my blog you are MORE than welcome...
http://inspiredbycharm.blogspot.com
if you feel inclinded your welcome to comment on any posts. they is a little giveaway going on now too and anyone can enter. hope this helps.

Just saw this article on Blogging.. Has it peaked???.
It depends on what you use it for. If your whole blogging purpose is to sell, sell, sell, then you're missing opportunities to get people who only use Twitter or FB.
If your purpose is to expand your brand by connecting to different people, then it is, IMHO, still very viable.
The best bet is to have your blog talk to your FB fan page and then have that talk to Twitter.
Here's the problem that I see, expecially with your group- Twitter and FB REQUIRE that you talk back. You can't 'post and run' like you can with a blog. (Unless your blog gets serious comments, it's kind of just 'there.')
So, your crowd should determine who their target mkt is and then decide what to undertake. FB for the 40-65 yo women, Twitter for the 20 somethings and the blog for people who like to read.
If they go for FB and Twitter it is a serious commitment in time as Twitter changes by the second. FB a little slower, but not much. (An example is 'Taste of Home' on FB. They can post a question at 11 AM and have 200 responses by 11:01 AM.)
And there's the big difference...FB and Twitter allow instant comments (good and bad) on what you just posted. At least on a blog you can control what people say about you on your own page.

That article was posted before or similar. It does not really pertain to what we use blogging for, it does pertain to plenty of other businesses.
As far as I can tell there is nothing that is equal to blogging for a B&B. For those who post images and articles on Facebook, not everyone is on facebook and wants to log in to read something that might be of no use to them. I do not open any links in FB, for example.
Tweets can direct you to blogs, news articles, plenty of information that is useful, but is limited to a couple sentences, usually not even long enough for the URL to an article. I tweet, I preset articles to post in the future multiple times - links to specials, articles, photos, etc. and it is very easy and simple. I try to not tweet things that I myself find boring. When I follow someone who only posts "how they feel or what they are doing" I unfollow, that is of no use to me and bogs me down. I only want things of interest.

That article was posted before or similar. It does not really pertain to what we use blogging for, it does pertain to plenty of other businesses.
As far as I can tell there is nothing that is equal to blogging for a B&B. For those who post images and articles on Facebook, not everyone is on facebook and wants to log in to read something that might be of no use to them. I do not open any links in FB, for example.
Tweets can direct you to blogs, news articles, plenty of information that is useful, but is limited to a couple sentences, usually not even long enough for the URL to an article. I tweet, I preset articles to post in the future multiple times - links to specials, articles, photos, etc. and it is very easy and simple. I try to not tweet things that I myself find boring. When I follow someone who only posts "how they feel or what they are doing" I unfollow, that is of no use to me and bogs me down. I only want things of interest..
Yes I agree. A B & B blog is quite a bit different. However, for innkeepers who really can't commit to doing a blog..and they know who they are:) I have suggested that they just do a business facebook page.
I guess some don't realize exactly what that means either...as this morning I was reading one and they complained about guests not showing up etc...which I thought was not the place to air that...I don't think they realize ANYONE can read this stuff.

Tweets can direct you to blogs, news articles, plenty of information that is useful, but is limited to a couple sentences, usually not even long enough for the URL to an article. I tweet, I preset articles to post in the future multiple times - links to specials, articles, photos, etc. and it is very easy and simple. I try to not tweet things that I myself find boring. When I follow someone who only posts "how they feel or what they are doing" I unfollow, that is of no use to me and bogs me down. I only want things of interest..
Good point about logging in to read stuff. But that's us. Lots of people have it on all day. And use it from their phone, too. (FB, I mean.)
My mother just read my blog for the first time last night. 4 years in the making...she has a lot of catching up to do! And what did she do? She called me to say, 'Hey, I found the recipe you were supposed to send me!' Oy vey!

Yes I agree. A B & B blog is quite a bit different. However, for innkeepers who really can't commit to doing a blog..and they know who they are:) I have suggested that they just do a business facebook page.
I guess some don't realize exactly what that means either...as this morning I was reading one and they complained about guests not showing up etc...which I thought was not the place to air that...I don't think they realize ANYONE can read this stuff.
Yes, I would tell them they shouldn't be making snide comments about guests on FB. I saw someone doing that last week and wondered if she thought she was on her personal account. And now there's a post about rating them on TA and if you haven't done so, now's the time, here's the link. Again, I don't think that's something I'd post.

Joey Bloggs said:
Agreed.

Altho, I will say that every TV show, media outlet, etc broadcasts that anyone and everyone should follow them on FB or Twitter and rarely do they mention any more that anyone should 'read more on my blog.'

Just saw this article on Blogging.. Has it peaked???.
It depends on what you use it for. If your whole blogging purpose is to sell, sell, sell, then you're missing opportunities to get people who only use Twitter or FB.
If your purpose is to expand your brand by connecting to different people, then it is, IMHO, still very viable.
The best bet is to have your blog talk to your FB fan page and then have that talk to Twitter.
Here's the problem that I see, expecially with your group- Twitter and FB REQUIRE that you talk back. You can't 'post and run' like you can with a blog. (Unless your blog gets serious comments, it's kind of just 'there.')
So, your crowd should determine who their target mkt is and then decide what to undertake. FB for the 40-65 yo women, Twitter for the 20 somethings and the blog for people who like to read.
If they go for FB and Twitter it is a serious commitment in time as Twitter changes by the second. FB a little slower, but not much. (An example is 'Taste of Home' on FB. They can post a question at 11 AM and have 200 responses by 11:01 AM.)
And there's the big difference...FB and Twitter allow instant comments (good and bad) on what you just posted. At least on a blog you can control what people say about you on your own page.
I am continually moving posts waiting for acceptance to the trash because they are saying inappropriate things or touting things to aid something that is not part of my anatomy.

My take on it, especially if it means less work for YOU as the web guru!
  • Great place for the innkeeper to post specials and things to do in the area;
  • Great place for the innkeeper to keep in touch with guests;
  • Great place for the innkeeper to post PHOTOS of seasons;
  • The list goes on...
As far as how it helps overall, the more pages the website has (and I'm considering my blog as an extension of my website even tho it is not connected), the more chances someone will use the search term the innkeeper has blogged about.
You can SEO your webpages to death and have each page shine as far as a certain term goes, but you can't make the guest use THAT term to find you.
If your innkeepers are sending newsletters, they can direct guests to the content on the blog. If they have FB and/or Twitter (and I'm guessing not), the blog can get out to those subscribers as well.
It's just an easy way for the innkeeper without coding skills to make new content and share it immediately. A webpage may take months to show in searches, a blog is there NOW.
You know these innkeepers well and you know what they will and won't do on their own. BUT, telling them to block out 20 minutes on a Monday morning to blog about something interesting coming up in the next month or so is something they CAN do. And once some guest books and says, 'I saw it on your blog,' they'll get hooked.
Don't know who they heard speak, but Blogger is the one I use because it's easy and free. If you can type, you can blog.
One thing to make sure they understand, tho, is that the blog may be the first thing the guest sees, so it had better be 'polished' and not filled with typos, grammar errors, etc.
If any of them want a 'second opinion' on blogging, feel free to tell them to call or email me. I will happily tell them how much time it takes in a week for me to blog and what's involved..
I am hopeless here. I need Remedial Social Networking 100. I only finally got a cell phone this year; ditto the netbook. If this deal moves forward I will have to learn tons!
Where do I start? Should I just hire someone? I would really like to learn. I really think to blog about the progress would be interesting to follow. When I do a google search on the Inn name and town it pops right up; also when I google inns or b&bs or hotel/ motels for the town. It also lists the dead phone #, which is still available.
This seems like a really good thing, and I would like to capitalize on it. I think I should start with a blog and/or maybe a facebook page? Or should I get a website designed first ? I will be crazy busy getting things busy, and I don't know how much time I can afford to follow postings.
I am Lost, Confused, & reading everything, although it seems you are all speaking in tongues. Will head for a bookshop for a glossary. Again, thanks for all your help.

• The list goes on...
As far as how it helps overall, the more pages the website has (and I'm considering my blog as an extension of my website even tho it is not connected), the more chances someone will use the search term the innkeeper has blogged about.
You can SEO your webpages to death and have each page shine as far as a certain term goes, but you can't make the guest use THAT term to find you.
If your innkeepers are sending newsletters, they can direct guests to the content on the blog. If they have FB and/or Twitter (and I'm guessing not), the blog can get out to those subscribers as well.
It's just an easy way for the innkeeper without coding skills to make new content and share it immediately. A webpage may take months to show in searches, a blog is there NOW.
You know these innkeepers well and you know what they will and won't do on their own. BUT, telling them to block out 20 minutes on a Monday morning to blog about something interesting coming up in the next month or so is something they CAN do. And once some guest books and says, 'I saw it on your blog,' they'll get hooked.
Don't know who they heard speak, but Blogger is the one I use because it's easy and free. If you can type, you can blog.
One thing to make sure they understand, tho, is that the blog may be the first thing the guest sees, so it had better be 'polished' and not filled with typos, grammar errors, etc.
If any of them want a 'second opinion' on blogging, feel free to tell them to call or email me. I will happily tell them how much time it takes in a week for me to blog and what's involved..
I am hopeless here. I need Remedial Social Networking 100. I only finally got a cell phone this year; ditto the netbook. If this deal moves forward I will have to learn tons!
Where do I start? Should I just hire someone? I would really like to learn. I really think to blog about the progress would be interesting to follow. When I do a google search on the Inn name and town it pops right up; also when I google inns or b&bs or hotel/ motels for the town. It also lists the dead phone #, which is still available.
This seems like a really good thing, and I would like to capitalize on it. I think I should start with a blog and/or maybe a facebook page? Or should I get a website designed first ? I will be crazy busy getting things busy, and I don't know how much time I can afford to follow postings.
I am Lost, Confused, & reading everything, although it seems you are all speaking in tongues. Will head for a bookshop for a glossary. Again, thanks for all your help.
Starting a blog on your progress is a great way to start. You can find your voice at the same time that you move forward with the inn. Once you're comfortable with blogging, you can start to add twitter or facebook or whatever you're comfortable with adding.
But I vote for just starting right now. What do you have to lose?

• The list goes on...
OK, from a guest relations stand point? Start the blog now. Or, once you've got the place signed and the key in hand. But write it all down now so you can report a little at a time. Guests LOVE this stuff. You could start the blog now but not post anything, just get the name you want and make everything a draft for now. You can release a little at a time, even when you're straight out with other stuff.
Now, for cold, hard cash? If you are 95% sure about the place, start looking for a web designer. How bad is the website now in place? Will it work in a pinch or is it horrid? A new site oculd take months to put in place, depending on who you hire. The website out there now obviously has prime position and you don't want to lose that. So you don't want someone to come in and wipe out all that history. (I did this, I knwo about changing web page file names and losing position.)

• The list goes on...
Doing a new website is like redecorating your house or building a new one. You look thru all these magazines (websites) and you rip out (bookmark) all the pages (websites) you like. Then you have a plan for the designer. 'I want this and this and this.'
The more you do, the less it costs you. If you say, 'Do whatever,' you get 'whatever.' And it costs you!

• The list goes on...
Start the blog now... get the timer ticking on it. Age is the one thing you can't buy in relation to websites.
If the place you are buying has a website, then you have to approach cautiously. Sure it probably needs to be re-done. Most designers are impatient and anxious and will rip out all the old pages and put in new shiny pages with new page names... thereby losing all the history for the site. DON't change the file names or locations.

• The list goes on...
Doing a new website is like redecorating your house or building a new one. You look thru all these magazines (websites) and you rip out (bookmark) all the pages (websites) you like. Then you have a plan for the designer. 'I want this and this and this.'
The more you do, the less it costs you. If you say, 'Do whatever,' you get 'whatever.' And it costs you!
There is no existing website. Actually has not been open in THREE years. A positive review does show on TA . PO tried to keep it off the web, making the chamber & guides take it off. It does show up both as lodging and as a NRHP property. Several places have similar names in the state ( like "White Pine Lodge"--not the real name). One has the dot com address. Don't know how to get around this--maybe "White Pine Lodge at town, state?" Or "White Pine Lodge and Motel"?
Have thought about writing this experience down. It has been an education. Also, I have been looking at websites; some in the area to see who put them together; others to see which features I like and dislike.
If this goes thru I will join PAII--pay for the $389.00 spiffy aspiring package; hit a bunch of workshops & conferences; & order a boatload of coffee. You have been lots of help--Thanks again

• The list goes on...
There is no existing website. Actually has not been open in THREE years. A positive review does show on TA . PO tried to keep it off the web, making the chamber & guides take it off. It does show up both as lodging and as a NRHP property. Several places have similar names in the state ( like "White Pine Lodge"--not the real name). One has the dot com address. Don't know how to get around this--maybe "White Pine Lodge at town, state?" Or "White Pine Lodge and Motel"?
Have thought about writing this experience down. It has been an education. Also, I have been looking at websites; some in the area to see who put them together; others to see which features I like and dislike.
If this goes thru I will join PAII--pay for the $389.00 spiffy aspiring package; hit a bunch of workshops & conferences; & order a boatload of coffee. You have been lots of help--Thanks again
I must say that when I was an aspiring I really gained more practical information from my forum buddies here. I also attended a full day of aspiring workshops at the PAII meeting (2005, I think--Before Jay--) which I did not think helped nearly as much. I did find it very helpful to be able to meet the vendors and to meet other innkeepers while at that and subsequent B&B meetings. You might wait until you've closed on your inn and then join at the $79 level, then increase your membership level as you decide what PAII offers that is of the most value to you.

• The list goes on...
I know you said it's not 'White Pine' but take my word for it, you don't want to be alpha-challenged. A good chunk of listings will be alpha and you don't want to be last!
Having the town name if it's a big deal is a great idea. If the lake is better known and a different name, try that. It's a good idea to own several names or variations.
So, 'Alaska White Pine Lodge' beats out 'White Pine Lodge of Alaska.' How about, 'Albuquerque White Pine Lodge.' Or, 'Lake Mead White Pine Lodge.'
Go for the big ticket name first.

Back