Blowing in the Wind

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Are the rest of you on the east coast experiencing these really high winds today? Boy it is blustery here 35-50mph winds!!! So far all our trees are still intact. Glad we aren't on the snow end of this.
Happy New Year to ALL!
newyear.jpg

YES!!! In the mid-Atlantic area and I have never seen winds like today! We lost a huge oak tree yesterday, it literally snapped in half. I'm just grateful it didn't land on anyone's car...it fell harmlessly into the yard. Yikes!

WE had wind all night and it is snowing now. But the snow-covered parking lot I was looking at earlier is now back to gravel.

HIGH WINDS. I was at stuff mart this morning and the power flashed on and off.
Had orig made plans for tonight, but temps are to drop down to teens and with this wind, chances are the power will be out. It is out sporadically in the area right now. I don't want to be out in the wind chill and dark tonight at someone elses house. I bought all the fixins to make fajitas tonight at home.

Had orig made plans for tonight, but temps are to drop down to teens and with this wind, chances are the power will be out. It is out sporadically in the area right now. I don't want to be out in the wind chill and dark tonight at someone elses house. I bought all the fixins to make fajitas tonight at home..
I had a call from a local the other day about tonight. Decided I really did not want to be bothered with a one night tonight so quoted a rate high enough that I figured it would be dropped. In this instance, I do not want to deal with locals who may (or not) be drunk. I plan to go to bed!

Very windy here. We have heard the metal roof blowing all day.
We have a full house tonight with a group of six couples, all friends. I am dreading the cleanup tomorrow. Latest was that they called yesterday to ask if they could bring a panini grill to make chocolate and cheese paninis in the living room after they came back from partying. Apparently they saw this on the Today show (thanks a lot, Matt and Meredith). I said no. Seriously, who thinks that combining cooking equipment, middle-aged drunks and nice antique furniture is a good idea?

We have a full house tonight with a group of six couples, all friends. I am dreading the cleanup tomorrow. Latest was that they called yesterday to ask if they could bring a panini grill to make chocolate and cheese paninis in the living room after they came back from partying. Apparently they saw this on the Today show (thanks a lot, Matt and Meredith). I said no. Seriously, who thinks that combining cooking equipment, middle-aged drunks and nice antique furniture is a good idea?.
Windy here too! No precipitation here until Friday though.
I am on my own - the guys went to a big college bowl game. Chocolate/cheese paninis & the like are why I blocked out tonight originally since it's just me. HA! I ditched plans to go to a New Year's Eve party because it's a bit of a drive. Chick flicks, champagne, and quiet are the order of the evening
wink_smile.gif

We have had no calls so I actually am taking through the weekend to finish some projects. Start 2009 fresh!
Also, we have been waiting on a roofer who swore that he would get these repairs done by the end of the week/year. Yeah, right!

We have a full house tonight with a group of six couples, all friends. I am dreading the cleanup tomorrow. Latest was that they called yesterday to ask if they could bring a panini grill to make chocolate and cheese paninis in the living room after they came back from partying. Apparently they saw this on the Today show (thanks a lot, Matt and Meredith). I said no. Seriously, who thinks that combining cooking equipment, middle-aged drunks and nice antique furniture is a good idea?.
I am on my own - the guys went to a big college bowl game. Chocolate/cheese paninis & the like are why I blocked out tonight originally since it's just me. HA! I ditched plans to go to a New Year's Eve party because it's a bit of a drive. Chick flicks, champagne, and quiet are the order of the evening
wink_smile.gif

We have had no calls so I actually am taking through the weekend to finish some projects. Start 2009 fresh!
Also, we have been waiting on a roofer who swore that he would get these repairs done by the end of the week/year. Yeah, right!
Samster said:
I have spent the afternoon cleaning off my desk. Sorting what paper is 'keepable' and what is 'tossable'. Hubs is amazed everytime he walks by...

wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
I have spent the afternoon cleaning off my desk. Sorting what paper is 'keepable' and what is 'tossable'. Hubs is amazed everytime he walks by...
When my dh is back to work on Friday, things will be disappearing on his desk! He has been warned....
There is really a lot of stuff that I'm going to be letting go of too!

Good for you...NO COOKING ALLOWED!!!! Hope you get some sleep tonight:)

The windstorm hit here Sunday and Monday. Our power went out Sunday morning before the guests were awake and it just came back on now. In three and half days without power, we had to cancel or turn away 10 room nights which would've also included some dinners and packages. Not a happy ending to 2008. I say bring on 2009!

No wind or precipatation down here. Quiet though. No guests. No calls. I agree bring on 2009 and please let it be a good year. (We had the worst December since 2001.)

i am on the south shore of massachusetts
about 6 inches of snow ... wind gusts ... bitter cold about 6 degrees and with the wind i want to wait until tomorrow to shovel any more than i have. may be in the 30's tomorrow.

No guests were booked for Dec. 31. That changed though when the snowstorm appeared mid afternoon and highways had zero visibility. Did I not tell the guests that check out is at 11:00 am? It is 12:01 and they are all still in their rooms. UGH!
Still our occupancy rate for December 08 was down from December 07. Let's hope for a bit busier winter in '09.
And Happy New Year everyone!

No guests were booked for Dec. 31. That changed though when the snowstorm appeared mid afternoon and highways had zero visibility. Did I not tell the guests that check out is at 11:00 am? It is 12:01 and they are all still in their rooms. UGH!
Still our occupancy rate for December 08 was down from December 07. Let's hope for a bit busier winter in '09.
And Happy New Year everyone!.
knowlesl said:
And Happy New Year everyone!
Go rattle some cages. There is no reason for anyone to be hanging around an hour after checkout unless they aren't checking out! Heck of a way to start the New Year!

they are probably loving it there and reluctant to leave.
put on an apron, pull out the cleaning supplies and the noise machine (vacume) and sweetly tell them it's 'time' ......
wink_smile.gif

Had orig made plans for tonight, but temps are to drop down to teens and with this wind, chances are the power will be out. It is out sporadically in the area right now. I don't want to be out in the wind chill and dark tonight at someone elses house. I bought all the fixins to make fajitas tonight at home..
haha what is stuff mart?

haha what is stuff mart?
seashanty said:
haha what is stuff mart?
JBJ's way of saying WalMart.

We had a lot of wind yesterday - lots of branches down in the yard today... thank goodness nothing too big to damage anything. Came back home last night from a dance to a cold house... we (DH) had not checked on the fuel oil level... needless to say, we called for a delivery today with a holiday penalty :-( but we have heat! And guests checking this afternoon to a cool house - thank goodness for propane gas logs and space heaters. The house is finally heating up - the furnace is back in business.
Happy New Year!

Back