Bluetooth Saves Electricity... I wish I could do this!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we had smart keys when I worked at the Yorkshire but they were a ruddy nightmare. On check in you told the guest all the electrics work off the key fob you have to push it into the slot by the door when you go in 50% didn't listen and you'd get a call down - my light don't work. One japanese man sat in the dark for 5 hours before asking for help but at least he had an excuse ie limited English and too polite to say he didn't understand. In japan to say you don't understand is considered rude as its like saying to the teacher you havn't taught me properly. They are a good idea though but have no clue how it would be hooked up.
If I was building a BB from scratch I would build it in that the room key would operate all the lights and sockets would save a fortune. I also would build in a laundry shute on each floor!

If my old computer shut itself off when I left the room, it would take FOREVER to boot back up again. I have sometimes decided I'm finished with what I'm doing and shut it off, only to need to see something, maybe I need to print out that recipe or directions or send a quick email before I go ... and had to wait for it all to wake up again.
confused_smile.gif

If my guests left the room to take a walk on a hot day and came back in to get some things because now they are going to take their car and then went out and came back in an hour later, I don't think I'd want the a/c's and lights going off and on. What if one guest stayed in the room with headache and the other left? okay ... getting carried away.
However, I would have loved a device that made the a/c or heat shut off if they opened all the windows ...

If my old computer shut itself off when I left the room, it would take FOREVER to boot back up again. I have sometimes decided I'm finished with what I'm doing and shut it off, only to need to see something, maybe I need to print out that recipe or directions or send a quick email before I go ... and had to wait for it all to wake up again.
confused_smile.gif

If my guests left the room to take a walk on a hot day and came back in to get some things because now they are going to take their car and then went out and came back in an hour later, I don't think I'd want the a/c's and lights going off and on. What if one guest stayed in the room with headache and the other left? okay ... getting carried away.
However, I would have loved a device that made the a/c or heat shut off if they opened all the windows ....
Most of the hotels in Europe now work this way. You have to put your electronic key into a holder to turn on the electricity. Usually there is a plug (often indicated) that stays on and can be used for charging.
There is an A/C unit that even looks for movement in the room. If it doesn't see it, it sets the temperature up 3 Celcius, to lower the cooling bills.

confused_smile.gif

However, I would have loved a device that made the a/c or heat shut off if they opened all the windows ....
Most of the hotels in Europe now work this way. You have to put your electronic key into a holder to turn on the electricity. Usually there is a plug (often indicated) that stays on and can be used for charging.
There is an A/C unit that even looks for movement in the room. If it doesn't see it, it sets the temperature up 3 Celcius, to lower the cooling bills.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You stay in much ritzier hotels than I do.

confused_smile.gif

Hotels in CA also. My only complaint was there is no light when you come back at night. The key slide was 4 feet from the door so the light in the hallway didn't help as I can't stretch that far. It was get the card ready, facing in the right direction and leap at the slide before the door shut all the way.

Yes, I've seen the A/C motion sensors in CA also, and a few other places in the US.
I find that, when I go to bed at night and stop moving, it thinks I've left and turns the temperature up in the room. I don't like that.
This is one of those things we still don't have a good solution for, but as fuel costs continue to rise more and more will be looking for a solution. Let's hope they find a good one!

Yes, I've seen the A/C motion sensors in CA also, and a few other places in the US.
I find that, when I go to bed at night and stop moving, it thinks I've left and turns the temperature up in the room. I don't like that.
This is one of those things we still don't have a good solution for, but as fuel costs continue to rise more and more will be looking for a solution. Let's hope they find a good one!.
Arkansawyer said:
Try being a female in a public restroom.
(okay so that didn't sound right, the auto flush toilets that flush when you are still there, sorry to be graphic, but they do and it is NOT GOOD! Esp little kids sitting there and it flushes on them!)

confused_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
You stay in much ritzier hotels than I do.
An ibis and an etap is NOT a ritzy hotel, at all. The only lower on the scale is an F1.
The ibis was so cheap that I ran through my "free" 200MG of Internet in about an hour of emails and reading. It's pretty standard fare around Europe in the chains.

This is one of those things we still don't have a good solution for, but as fuel costs continue to rise more and more will be looking for a solution. Let's hope they find a good one!.
Arkansawyer said:
(okay so that didn't sound right, the auto flush toilets that flush when you are still there, sorry to be graphic, but they do and it is NOT GOOD! Esp little kids sitting there and it flushes on them!)
Or, the opposite, it doesn't flush at all. You can stand there waving your hand in front of the sensor, but nothing happens. Luckily, most of them also have a little flush button next to the sensor. I can tell you, tho, the first time I used one of those sensor toilets I almost screamed.

Arkansawyer said:
Or, the opposite, it doesn't flush at all. You can stand there waving your hand in front of the sensor, but nothing happens. Luckily, most of them also have a little flush button next to the sensor. I can tell you, tho, the first time I used one of those sensor toilets I almost screamed.
Madeleine said:
...the first time I used one of those sensor toilets I almost screamed.
You should have seen the crowds here in the 1960s when we got our first real supermarket. At the grand opening, traffic was backed up all over town and people had to park and walk blocks to get to the store due to the crowds.
And what had the come to see? Not aisles and aisles of exotic foods. No, they were there to see, and eventually get up the nerve to try, the first automatic doors they'd ever seen. Just walk up to the door and it opens! People went on about it for weeks!

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
You should have seen the crowds here in the 1960s when we got our first real supermarket. At the grand opening, traffic was backed up all over town and people had to park and walk blocks to get to the store due to the crowds.
And what had the come to see? Not aisles and aisles of exotic foods. No, they were there to see, and eventually get up the nerve to try, the first automatic doors they'd ever seen. Just walk up to the door and it opens! People went on about it for weeks!
We took a short cruise in Barcelona. It sells to the Spanish as an introduction to cruising. Every time we got on the elevator there were people already in, but no buttons pushed. They were just standing in the elevator and going up and down because they had never seen one, before.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
We took a short cruise in Barcelona. It sells to the Spanish as an introduction to cruising. Every time we got on the elevator there were people already in, but no buttons pushed. They were just standing in the elevator and going up and down because they had never seen one, before.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Speaking of the Sabbath.
Elevators in Israel are set to automatic so no buttons are pushed on the Sabbath. Just made me think of that...
Reminds me of the moving footpaths at airports, when there is time to kill it is always fun to watch people get on and stumble off. Not sure what they think happens at the end, but they are surprised by it!
I used to ride the fast elevator in downtown Sydney (Remington Centre) every day, it bypassed every floor at top speed until the 24th, then stopped one ach one til the 28th. People who got on that accidentally were in for a treat!
PS I added Remington Centre as we have that small world thing going on...people stumble in here and we find commonalities from time to time. I had a guest from NC here overnight who coincidentally used to work in my building and walk past my desk every day to the Commodore of Logistics office (DoD). His son was at his high school prom while they were here on their anniversary, and the son was born there, when he walked past my desk all the time.
BTW they spilled red wine in the room (here) and used our new white towels to mop it up). Things never change, aye.
cry_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Speaking of the Sabbath.
Elevators in Israel are set to automatic so no buttons are pushed on the Sabbath. Just made me think of that...
Reminds me of the moving footpaths at airports, when there is time to kill it is always fun to watch people get on and stumble off. Not sure what they think happens at the end, but they are surprised by it!
I used to ride the fast elevator in downtown Sydney (Remington Centre) every day, it bypassed every floor at top speed until the 24th, then stopped one ach one til the 28th. People who got on that accidentally were in for a treat!
PS I added Remington Centre as we have that small world thing going on...people stumble in here and we find commonalities from time to time. I had a guest from NC here overnight who coincidentally used to work in my building and walk past my desk every day to the Commodore of Logistics office (DoD). His son was at his high school prom while they were here on their anniversary, and the son was born there, when he walked past my desk all the time.
BTW they spilled red wine in the room (here) and used our new white towels to mop it up). Things never change, aye.
cry_smile.gif

They ran into a problem with sabbath elevators in Israel a few years back. Apparently the weight safety was a problem, because someone could inadvertantly cause the elevator to go "over" and therefore cause a bell. Or things like this argument... http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3782981,00.html
In Germany, they have escalators that slow down and stop if not being used. Tourists stare at them, sometimes, instead of walk on and get the lift.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Speaking of the Sabbath.
cry_smile.gif

They ran into a problem with sabbath elevators in Israel a few years back. Apparently the weight safety was a problem, because someone could inadvertantly cause the elevator to go "over" and therefore cause a bell. Or things like this argument... http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3782981,00.html
In Germany, they have escalators that slow down and stop if not being used. Tourists stare at them, sometimes, instead of walk on and get the lift.
Tourists stare at them, sometimes, instead of walk on and get the lift.
I am one who would dtare and then look for the stairs. Where I come from, a stopped escalator is not functioning and is possibly being worked on. I do not want to REALLY look stupid by stepping on a non-moving escalator. Yes, they are steps when stopped, but stopped usually has a reason - perhaps safety issue?

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Speaking of the Sabbath.
cry_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I've seen those in Italy too, in Cortona. The escalators that carry you from the lower parking lot up to the city stop when nobody is on them. But there ARE no other stairs to take, so when they are stopped people start walking them like a normal staircase, then they come on and people shout with delight!

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Speaking of the Sabbath.
cry_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I've seen those in Italy too, in Cortona. The escalators that carry you from the lower parking lot up to the city stop when nobody is on them. But there ARE no other stairs to take, so when they are stopped people start walking them like a normal staircase, then they come on and people shout with delight!
Arkansawyer said:
... then they come on and people shout with delight!
I'm sitting here smiling picturing happy people on an escalator.

As an electrician by trade (journeyman) and having worked for a place that manufactured heating/ac units (okay, for cars) this is not what I believe to be economical.
Cons:
First, you have to be carrying a bluetooth device. Myself, I don't carry my cell as an additional appendage so I am SOL. They make these things called ZOMM for those who are addicted to their cells and can't live without them. I still like speaking to people as texts can often be misinterrupted by the reader because there is no inflextion of the voice, etc.
Second, it is well docummented knowledge that bringing a room up to temperature in the winter or cooling down in the summer creates a higher draw of energy than if it was just maintained at a "lower/higher" temperature and then brought up/down to the desired. Kind of like when the compressor in your refrigerator turns on. High current draw at that point. Furnaces/ac units have to work much harder to accomodate the fluxtuation.
What I have been purchasing for the common areas are "occupancy sensor switches" but just for the lighting. My opinion, no need to leave the lights on all night nor will just a night light due.
I have been purchasing Leviton. There are many different brands on the market. This handles 120/277 V. In the U.S. we are 120. They handle a 15 amp load which is equivalent to normal switches and duplexes although you can purchase 20 A, etc. I think they are reasonably priced and you are able to "program" them simply by turning the pot to adjust sensitivity to when someone enters, how long it stays on after no movement has been detected. You can also adjust it's "sight" from 180 degrees down to whatever it works for you.
Thought it would be great for guests who want to get up in the middle of the night and move around.
Okay, I have an old house. Hope they don't get the hebegeebees!

Back