Boat Ride, Anyone???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
In anticipation of my first (not this yacht’s first) crossing of the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas in July, I wanted to give her a “shake down” of what still needs some attention in term of what’s still loose and can go flying in not-so-friendly seas. I had planned to do this last Sunday, but the marine forecast was calling for up to 8-foot seas. Yes, this Hatteras can take that, but that’s a lot for ME to endure, and why risk tearing stuff up unnecessarily - 8-foot seas are just not something I'd make a plan to go plowing through. As luck would have it, my broker sent me a half day charter yesterday and the itinerary was one where we had to take them into international waters to close a business transaction that had to occur outside of the United States boundaries.
Yesterday, we ventured out 4 miles offshore of Cape Florida. The water was stunningly blue, changing from light blue to dark blue. The waves seemed and felt like they were HUGE, at least to me, even though the forecast as for 2 to 4 feet. Captain Pascal said it was a piece of cake. One of my passengers was seasick until we returned to the bay. I had never stood in the galley before looking out the aft deck, seeing sky then water, then sky, then water. And on the return with a following sea for a bit, then aft quarter seas later, she did felt like a Hawaiian hula dancer as she swung her stern from side to side.
Meanwhile, my cat, God bless him, was leaving no surface of the crew stateroom untouched by projectile vomit. The first time I went to check on him and opened the crew room door, it smelled like Kibbles & Sh*t. He even puked in my shoe....twice, not to mention everywhere else. I felt REALLY bad for having taken him out there with me (bear in mind, he's 17 years old, and blind). I didn't realize it was going to be like THAT. There were times in the up and down motion as we were breaking through the waves coming at us head on that my knees buckled when walking about the boat. Pascal said "it's nothing," but I've never experienced that "ride" before. This was the first time that I found myself walking around the boat having to hold on to something with each step.
Other than the kitty abuse, which I'll never put him through again, it was a good day. I didn't break a dish or a glass, and I found only a handful of things I missed - some artwork on the wall by the stairs going down to the lower level which fell off the wall, and a tea candle lamp in the master stateroom which I missed. Not bad for a first time shake down.
At the end of the day, back in the slip....Sanctuary had served me well. She ran without a single hiccup from her heart, and the generator never missed a beat. She performed like the Hatt she was born to be. They say, "the boat will take more than her passengers and crew will" and I believe that's true. It felt like a bit of a "wild ride" for me.
Pascal took a little video of our trip heading out to sea: http://www.youtube.com/user/SandBARhopper#p/u/0/OYlFFwzqOP4 For all of you stuck in the winter wonderland of the Great White North....enjoy a little boat ride from the flybridge helm. :) Hindsight...we had the webcam running for the whole trip - I forgot to tell anyone about it - not even my mother! Oh well...
First%20ocean%20outing.JPG

Nice! I can take the up & down. It is the side-to-side WITH the up & down that gets me when sailing. I love the 2-masted schooner Lewis R French now out of Camden, ME! I am ready to put the "patch" behind my ear and ask permission to come aboard ANY DAY!!

Thanks, Ang, that was great fun. And I'm not even in the frozen north.
Your poor kitty, though. Hopefully he's going to forgive you one of these days...

Thanks from the frigid midwest. I could put that video on a loop and imagine being on your boat ship yacht. (what a landlubber am I)

reminds me of taking the high speed ferry out to nantucket. woosh! beautiful video. speed for me was okay but both up and down and shifting side to side, no!
would it be cost prohibitive to have a live webcam from your boat on your website? i love things like that.

reminds me of taking the high speed ferry out to nantucket. woosh! beautiful video. speed for me was okay but both up and down and shifting side to side, no!
would it be cost prohibitive to have a live webcam from your boat on your website? i love things like that..
seashanty said:
would it be cost prohibitive to have a live webcam from your boat on your website? i love things like that.
Actually, it doesn't cost me a thing. My captain lives on a Hatteras of his own just across the dock from me. He runs his webcam, pointed at Sanctuary, off of my wifi when he's not out on another boat. When he's running boat, he takes it with him and runs it off of his wireless card on his laptop. http://www.sandbarhopper.com/webcam.html
Today, he went to re-fuel another boat he runs, so the webcam is on that boat right now. When he gets home, it will be pointed back my way. When we go out on Sanctuary, the webcam goes with us. We are planning on putting our own dedicated webcam on Sanctuary. The cost will be nothing but the hardware (the camera).

Dang, I thought (by the title of the post) that you were offering boat rides!!
wink_smile.gif

haha, little blue, i did too! thought the post was about needing deckhands and 'if you're here, right now ...'
sanctuary is there is link on your website to the webcam? i didn't see it.
i had a little cam i tried to rig up .... on the coast in maine and the mount was guaranteed for up to 50 mph winds, first day it failed, snapped right off and the cam crashed to the ground. got a refund but decided not to do it again. but i still thought it was a great idea. i used to record in one minute segments the ferries or the lobster boats or other things and put them on the blog. got good feedback (and bookings) from that.

would it be cost prohibitive to have a live webcam from your boat on your website? i love things like that..
seashanty said:
Actually, it doesn't cost me a thing. My captain lives on a Hatteras of his own just across the dock from me. He runs his webcam, pointed at Sanctuary, off of my wifi when he's not out on another boat. When he's running boat, he takes it with him and runs it off of his wireless card on his laptop. http://www.sandbarhopper.com/webcam.html
Today, he went to re-fuel another boat he runs, so the webcam is on that boat right now. When he gets home, it will be pointed back my way. When we go out on Sanctuary, the webcam goes with us. We are planning on putting our own dedicated webcam on Sanctuary. The cost will be nothing but the hardware (the camera).
Thanks for sharing the video Sanctuary! What a thrill to be out there like you are. I love being out in the middle of the ocean not being able to see any land anywhere. I see lots of houseboats in my area and I know I would hate living on one of them, but I certainly could imagine myself in your shoes. LOVE IT! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.

Back