bogus calls from the Telecommunications relay service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For any in the Pacific Northwest (in particular, though it really could appear anywhere), the PAII forum has recently had a thread about a TTY scam similar to the email scams - with some saying nearly all Seattle-area B&B's receiving this call.
Here's the post, so you can see how the experience went:
In a different but not new twist on the so-called Nigerian scam, I was approached yesterday by a Bobby Cruise posing as a deaf or similarly disabled person via a relay operator. He wanted to stay here for two weeks in my most expensive room starting Thursday. Said he was traveling from Wisconsin to meet with a business associate. My suspicions were raised right away, of course, including by the vague references to my "establishment" and "hotel" and the fact that the person had apparently not seen us on the Internet. But I stuck with the call for a while to make sure I would not be insulting a real person with a disability by hanging up. I also wanted to see where the advance-payment request was going to enter the conversation.

A relay call is a time-consuming process, if you haven't had one. The caller types, and the operator verbally relays his words to you. Then you respond and the operator sends your words, type-written, to the caller. A pan of muffins can bake in the time it takes to complete a reservation.

Just before Bobby gave me his no-doubt-stolen credit card number, he asked for a "huge favor." Because of his disability, he said, managing luggage was very difficult and would I be so kind as to receive advance delivery of his bags. All I had to do was "be so kind as to send payment to Western Union today" and simply add the amount -- plus a generous tip for myself -- to his "hotel bill," which he wanted to pay now in its entirety.

When I replied that "regrettably I was unable to manage luggage myself and perhaps his local business associate could perform that service," the operator informed me that "Mr. Cruise has ended the call..
While I dislike the use of these federally funded programs being used for prank calls, when it becomes more than just a prank but an attempt at fraud the FCC need to be informed. They may already be montoring for such use but if not they should. Obviously they have time to trace the call and once they have attempted the scam once, they will continue to do so until they either get caught or get a sucker, so the mediator/operator/transmitter person should have authority to flag the call. Otherwise shouldn't they be held as an accomplice?
copperhead said:
they will continue to do so until they either get caught or get a sucker, so the mediator/operator/transmitter person should have authority to flag the call. Otherwise shouldn't they be held as an accomplice?
Personal opinion here, but no. The operator is supposed to act as the voice of the deaf person. Now, should that call involve murderous intent, my guess is they have a protocol for that.
I told the operator the operator, 'You are a scam artist and I'm hanging up.' The operator is supposed to relay that to the caller. What they do with the info is unknown to me.
I think the scam callers are using Skype, which only shows the Skype phone number, not a 'real' traceable phone number.
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
they will continue to do so until they either get caught or get a sucker, so the mediator/operator/transmitter person should have authority to flag the call. Otherwise shouldn't they be held as an accomplice?
Personal opinion here, but no. The operator is supposed to act as the voice of the deaf person. Now, should that call involve murderous intent, my guess is they have a protocol for that.
I told the operator the operator, 'You are a scam artist and I'm hanging up.' The operator is supposed to relay that to the caller. What they do with the info is unknown to me.
I think the scam callers are using Skype, which only shows the Skype phone number, not a 'real' traceable phone number.
Someone who is deaf can certainly book online. There is no point to calling to book, never mind using TTY. The answer is simple. Tell them to book online. But they won't book online, there is no point, they can't get you to send money if they book online, all they get is a confirmation. Simply tell them "I am sorry, we take all bookings online, only. Have a good day and goodbye.
None of my callers have wanted to make a reservation. They have all wanted to order large amounts of sandwiches.
That said, I'm back to 65% of my reservations coming in on the phone. I don't tell anyone 'book online' unless I am not home. I understand you're saying to tell THESE callers to book online. However, lots of people do not want to make a reservation online. (And, no, the callers are not asking for special privileges, most of them say, 'We're not comfortable making a reservation online, we want to talk to someone.')
And, as we found out last night, some guests won't even wait for us to start up the computer to take their reservation. We asked for their phone number and in 2 minutes' time they had reserved somewhere that 'had their computer running when we called'. (OK, probably dodged a bullet on that one, but you see what I mean! And we did suggest THEY book online, but that was not an option as far as they were concerned.)
Warning - run-a-way thread!
Alibi Ike said:
And, as we found out last night, some guests won't even wait for us to start up the computer to take their reservation. We asked for their phone number and in 2 minutes' time they had reserved somewhere that 'had their computer running when we called'. (OK, probably dodged a bullet on that one, but you see what I mean! And we did suggest THEY book online, but that was not an option as far as they were concerned.)
Had similar experience recently, call came in while in the check-out line (not check out yet). I asked if I could call them back in 10, she wanted to give me another number. Please lady, how would you like to be behind me in line... Called back, husband answers the phone, SHE's not interested, click... I too dodged that bullet.
I don't know, maybe I'm missing out on a lot...but I've never understood the whole take the Inn with you on the road concept. I can't possibly take a reservation without the computer and my book in front of me. I'd never be able to do that in the grocery store, etc. Do people really move on that quickly? I always figure if you want to book here you'll listen to the message and go book online, and save $10/night for your trouble.
We just get pesky people who need to call. They end up being high maintenance when they get here so I really don't want them.
I would never take a rez without being online. And, yes, there are people who won't wait that long. I've had callers at 8:45 PM to whom I've told, 'I've just shut the office for the evening, would you be able to reserve the room online?' only to be told that if I wanted the reservation I could open the office. Oy. Maybe I should tell them they can save $10 if they do the work themselves!
I've had people try that nonsense on me. I tell them to book online to save the $10 a night. If they don't want to, then they can call back between 11AM and 5PM Eastern. If they don't book the room, someone else will book it. I believe my price is fair and my product is fair and enough people do, as well.
And this is the difference between being 95% full and being 60% full. I can't be that casual.
I do the same in the winter when I'm not 95% full, like when I'm only 45% full. You never know when a reservation of 2 days will block a reservation of 5 days. It all works out in the end. If they are that demanding on the telephone, think of what they will be like in person.

For any in the Pacific Northwest (in particular, though it really could appear anywhere), the PAII forum has recently had a thread about a TTY scam similar to the email scams - with some saying nearly all Seattle-area B&B's receiving this call.
In a different but not new twist on the so-called Nigerian scam, I was approached yesterday by a Bobby Cruise posing as a deaf or similarly disabled person via a relay operator. He wanted to stay here for two weeks in my most expensive room starting Thursday. Said he was traveling from Wisconsin to meet with a business associate. My suspicions were raised right away, of course, including by the vague references to my "establishment" and "hotel" and the fact that the person had apparently not seen us on the Internet. But I stuck with the call for a while to make sure I would not be insulting a real person with a disability by hanging up. I also wanted to see where the advance-payment request was going to enter the conversation.

A relay call is a time-consuming process, if you haven't had one. The caller types, and the operator verbally relays his words to you. Then you respond and the operator sends your words, type-written, to the caller. A pan of muffins can bake in the time it takes to complete a reservation.

Just before Bobby gave me his no-doubt-stolen credit card number, he asked for a "huge favor." Because of his disability, he said, managing luggage was very difficult and would I be so kind as to receive advance delivery of his bags. All I had to do was "be so kind as to send payment to Western Union today" and simply add the amount -- plus a generous tip for myself -- to his "hotel bill," which he wanted to pay now in its entirety.

When I replied that "regrettably I was unable to manage luggage myself and perhaps his local business associate could perform that service," the operator informed me that "Mr. Cruise has ended the call..
While I dislike the use of these federally funded programs being used for prank calls, when it becomes more than just a prank but an attempt at fraud the FCC need to be informed. They may already be montoring for such use but if not they should. Obviously they have time to trace the call and once they have attempted the scam once, they will continue to do so until they either get caught or get a sucker, so the mediator/operator/transmitter person should have authority to flag the call. Otherwise shouldn't they be held as an accomplice?
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Someone who is deaf can certainly book online. There is no point to calling to book, never mind using TTY. The answer is simple. Tell them to book online. But they won't book online, there is no point, they can't get you to send money if they book online, all they get is a confirmation. Simply tell them "I am sorry, we take all bookings online, only. Have a good day and goodbye.
None of my callers have wanted to make a reservation. They have all wanted to order large amounts of sandwiches.
That said, I'm back to 65% of my reservations coming in on the phone. I don't tell anyone 'book online' unless I am not home. I understand you're saying to tell THESE callers to book online. However, lots of people do not want to make a reservation online. (And, no, the callers are not asking for special privileges, most of them say, 'We're not comfortable making a reservation online, we want to talk to someone.')
Alibi Ike said:
Had similar experience recently, call came in while in the check-out line (not check out yet). I asked if I could call them back in 10, she wanted to give me another number. Please lady, how would you like to be behind me in line... Called back, husband answers the phone, SHE's not interested, click... I too dodged that bullet.
I don't know, maybe I'm missing out on a lot...but I've never understood the whole take the Inn with you on the road concept. I can't possibly take a reservation without the computer and my book in front of me. I'd never be able to do that in the grocery store, etc. Do people really move on that quickly? I always figure if you want to book here you'll listen to the message and go book online, and save $10/night for your trouble.
We just get pesky people who need to call. They end up being high maintenance when they get here so I really don't want them.
I would never take a rez without being online. And, yes, there are people who won't wait that long. I've had callers at 8:45 PM to whom I've told, 'I've just shut the office for the evening, would you be able to reserve the room online?' only to be told that if I wanted the reservation I could open the office. Oy. Maybe I should tell them they can save $10 if they do the work themselves!
I've had people try that nonsense on me. I tell them to book online to save the $10 a night. If they don't want to, then they can call back between 11AM and 5PM Eastern. If they don't book the room, someone else will book it. I believe my price is fair and my product is fair and enough people do, as well.
And this is the difference between being 95% full and being 60% full. I can't be that casual.
I do the same in the winter when I'm not 95% full, like when I'm only 45% full. You never know when a reservation of 2 days will block a reservation of 5 days. It all works out in the end. If they are that demanding on the telephone, think of what they will be like in person.
I am with you on this. I figure it all comes out in the wash and whomever is meant to stay here will be here. I am dead in the winter but I still hold the same standards...it's not worth being full with PITA's, that ends up being more stressful than being empty with no money (at least I don't have to deal with anyone and can stay in jammies!!!).

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
OK, the difference then between being 45% full and 10% full. I deal with the pills because I need the money. This is our only income. We don't have the luxury, and it is a luxury, to be picky or to tell our guests, 'Do it yourself, save $10.'
And, truth be told, I like talking to the guests on the phone and helping them have the best vacation they can. Lots of times they have no idea how close or how far away they are.

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
OK, the difference then between being 45% full and 10% full. I deal with the pills because I need the money. This is our only income. We don't have the luxury, and it is a luxury, to be picky or to tell our guests, 'Do it yourself, save $10.'
And, truth be told, I like talking to the guests on the phone and helping them have the best vacation they can. Lots of times they have no idea how close or how far away they are.
I gave the lady who called with the rotational diet your telephone number. She's going to need her sheets washed out with vinegar. All cotton. No fabric softener. She's bringing in food so she can eat during the day because of the rotational diet, so you can make sandwiches for her. Oh and she wants $10 off per night. Enjoy!

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
I gave the lady who called with the rotational diet your telephone number. She's going to need her sheets washed out with vinegar. All cotton. No fabric softener. She's bringing in food so she can eat during the day because of the rotational diet, so you can make sandwiches for her. Oh and she wants $10 off per night. Enjoy!
Well, around here she can fend for herself during the day because I am not allowed to touch or serve food after 11 AM (state law, she can take it up with them). I've got a complete guest pantry sans stove where she can happily make whatever she wants. Don't use fabric softener. Do use vinegar in the 'finish' cycle. She'll have to take the king room to get the all cotton sheets. No can do on the $10 off, tho.
Did I mention the 'all natural' family who stayed here and made their own breakfast? Brought all their own food, blender, mixer, measuring cups, the whole enchilada (except I don't think it was an enchilada they made). Made a royal mess but cleaned it all up.

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
Well, around here she can fend for herself during the day because I am not allowed to touch or serve food after 11 AM (state law, she can take it up with them). I've got a complete guest pantry sans stove where she can happily make whatever she wants. Don't use fabric softener. Do use vinegar in the 'finish' cycle. She'll have to take the king room to get the all cotton sheets. No can do on the $10 off, tho.
Did I mention the 'all natural' family who stayed here and made their own breakfast? Brought all their own food, blender, mixer, measuring cups, the whole enchilada (except I don't think it was an enchilada they made). Made a royal mess but cleaned it all up.
I'm actually replying because I just have to see how silly this software is going to get with the indentations and writing this all in one small little column. In fact, I wonder what it would do with a word like antidisestablishmentarianism now that it's down to just a few characters.
I don't offer a kitchen. The all-natural family is going to have to stay with you again. And Ms. Rotational diet is perfectly fine with your producing her requirements before the kitchen closes at 11AM. Remember anything that she has eaten, she can't eat for another four days. And she's staying a week and two days.

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
I'm actually replying because I just have to see how silly this software is going to get with the indentations and writing this all in one small little column. In fact, I wonder what it would do with a word like antidisestablishmentarianism now that it's down to just a few characters.
I don't offer a kitchen. The all-natural family is going to have to stay with you again. And Ms. Rotational diet is perfectly fine with your producing her requirements before the kitchen closes at 11AM. Remember anything that she has eaten, she can't eat for another four days. And she's staying a week and two days.
You have to set your preferences differently to avoid the indentations and teeny text boxes.
I guess I have to tell her that we are only allowed to prepare the breakfast we serve and no other foods. The 11 o'clock is to allow for us to serve a later breakfast if we choose. We don't choose.
The all naturals won't be back, we weren't green enough for them.
I had someone show up here who had just started a 'biblical' food regimen (their term, not mine). Because they didn't want to have to start all over, they brought some sort of nuts and berries with them and sighed every time someone else got a heaping mess o' breakfast at another table. I think we provided yogurt and some fruit.
So, how'd the antidisestablishmentarianism work out for you?

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
You have to set your preferences differently to avoid the indentations and teeny text boxes.
I guess I have to tell her that we are only allowed to prepare the breakfast we serve and no other foods. The 11 o'clock is to allow for us to serve a later breakfast if we choose. We don't choose.
I had someone show up here who had just started a 'biblical' food regimen (their term, not mine). Because they didn't want to have to start all over, they brought some sort of nuts and berries with them and sighed every time someone else got a heaping mess o' breakfast at another table. I think we provided yogurt and some fruit.
The antidisestablishmentarianism was actually on three different lines for me, but it was on four when you replied. Frankly, that's 19th century English politics anyway. (PoliSci major, what can I say.) I gotta find the settings for the indents, because they are getting to be a bit much.
I wonder where the Biblical people are buying their manna. Now there's a food that I want to eat. If they want matzohs, I'm willing to contribute to that diet. Of course, they won't be able to pass anything for 7 days and 7 nights after eating a diet of matzohs.

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
The antidisestablishmentarianism was actually on three different lines for me, but it was on four when you replied. Frankly, that's 19th century English politics anyway. (PoliSci major, what can I say.) I gotta find the settings for the indents, because they are getting to be a bit much.
I wonder where the Biblical people are buying their manna. Now there's a food that I want to eat. If they want matzohs, I'm willing to contribute to that diet. Of course, they won't be able to pass anything for 7 days and 7 nights after eating a diet of matzohs.
Go all the way to the bottom of the list of replies and change the settings that show how you view the threads. There should be a set of drop downs. Just change what you have until you like how it looks.

FYI I just had an ATT relay call (deaf service) from someone wanting to book a room for 8 nights and do I accept cc over the phone. Alarm bells (8 nights) and the immed question about cc. I advised the ATT relay person I though this was a scam (thanks to the warnings on here) and starting asking "what brings you to the area" - at which point they hung up. The relay service cannot stop these calls but I did ask her to advise her supervisor that we suspected a scam.
FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED

I just received a Relay call from a "hearing impaired person". Glad I read this thread, because the minute I refused to put luggage carrier delivery charges on the credit card and said I suspected the call was a scam, they ended the call.
What a waste of time!!!!!

It's unfortunate, but now when I receive those relay calls, I immediately tell the operator I will not accept the call and the person can contact us via e-mail.

I just received a Relay call from a "hearing impaired person". Glad I read this thread, because the minute I refused to put luggage carrier delivery charges on the credit card and said I suspected the call was a scam, they ended the call.
What a waste of time!!!!!.
cheryldec said:
What a waste of time!!!!!
Just got one of those today. Told the Relay operator to have them email me via the website.

Back