Boo cancellations on the rise

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
For those on Boo, have you noticed an uptick in cancellations?
We've had five bookings in the last month that have turned around and cancelled, some within days of booking. We charge 100% at the time of initial reservation (because of Boo's history of cc fraud). So for us, it means processing a full refund assuming they're outside our 30-day cancellation window (which they all are). It makes me wonder if Boo is pushing their cancellation policy more strongly in their marketing materials and emails.
We had one cancellation where they tried to get a refund through Boo, and then double-dip by instituting a chargeback. We caught that, but I'm on the lookout for it as the next scam using Boo's site as a tool to steal money from innkeepers.

We take a one day non-refundable charge 24 hours after reservation. It's stopped the nonsense.
I haven't had a chargeback in years. It helps that I take the card for the rest while here and we only do chip transactions now. It's hard to dispute a chip transaction as it is proof the card was here, physically.

Have not listed any rooms yet as we’re going on vacation soon. Will keep an eye out for this kind of scam.
i do think booking pushes guests with ‘lower rates at this other place’ emails. It may be because the bookings are so far in advance the guests were just holding a room while they looked around.
However, given you charge 100% at booking that doesn’t seem likely. More likely is the double dip to get refund money twice.

I expect we are all going to have a slowdown and many cancellations coming up. People are not going to be traveling as much with the Corona virus going around.

I expect we are all going to have a slowdown and many cancellations coming up. People are not going to be traveling as much with the Corona virus going around..
Hillbilly said:
I expect we are all going to have a slowdown and many cancellations coming up. People are not going to be traveling as much with the Corona virus going around.
On the contrary, I think those of us who don’t usually see lots of Asian guests won’t be impacted in the least and may see an uptick in travel by Americans who decide to stay home.
As an example - I’m still planning my usual 2 week vacation with no worries I’ll contract anything.

I expect we are all going to have a slowdown and many cancellations coming up. People are not going to be traveling as much with the Corona virus going around..
Hillbilly said:
On the contrary, I think those of us who don’t usually see lots of Asian guests won’t be impacted in the least and may see an uptick in travel by Americans who decide to stay home.
As an example - I’m still planning my usual 2 week vacation with no worries I’ll contract anything.
I hope you’re correct. I have had 3 couples already saying they will need to cancel if it gets bad. So I’m thinking if 3 have already wondering...than how many are waiting to make reservations?

Hillbilly said:
I hope you’re correct. I have had 3 couples already saying they will need to cancel if it gets bad. So I’m thinking if 3 have already wondering...than how many are waiting to make reservations?
Hillbilly said:

You know, I live in one of the most populous parts of the country. (not exactly where I live, but my guests come from Major cities) We are getting reservations every day. No one has canceled their Valentine’s plans nor the convention the following week.
No one has contacted us saying they are scared, worried, whatever.
Altho we do need to be careful, the same practices apply here as any other flu or cold - wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, stay home if you’re sick.

One of the reasons we took our family inn off of that place.

Back