BooHoo! 97 years and I have to be the one!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
The ONLY chandelier in the house with totally original shades, albeit a "bite" out of one now has a half shade in addition to the one with the "bite". I did not realize I was under it and stretched to get an itch on my back - KLIUNK! I pushed the shade into the center glass and it basically exploded. Half of it is still there. BooHooo! KLUTZ!!!

very sad. what kind of shade is it?.
It is one of those decorated glass shades that is held in with three screws at the top. I have the CF bulbs in them now but my electrician told me to never use above a 40 watt bulb because a higher watt will damage them. No worry on this one now.
Edited to add photo: Dang, I guess the picture is too big. The one with the bite out shows. It is the one next to it that is now half a shade.

There are alot of old fixture here that cannot handle certain bulbs as well. We actually got rid of many of them to install ceiling fans for circulation in the rooms. We had to, it was one of those modernizations that were necessary. But we still have plenty like that and we have to use super low watts. Which is not easy when we have dark walnut ceilings.

There are alot of old fixture here that cannot handle certain bulbs as well. We actually got rid of many of them to install ceiling fans for circulation in the rooms. We had to, it was one of those modernizations that were necessary. But we still have plenty like that and we have to use super low watts. Which is not easy when we have dark walnut ceilings..
4 of the 40 watt bulbs made things pretty bright. But then again, I have white ceilings.

oh! it is lovely! what a shame. perhaps you can get a couple similar shaped shades and alternate the odds with the originals unless and and until you can have the brokens repaired.

oh! it is lovely! what a shame. perhaps you can get a couple similar shaped shades and alternate the odds with the originals unless and and until you can have the brokens repaired..
Unfortunately no way to repair. The "bite" was out when we got here and the one today pretty much shattered.

oh. for an antique lamp of my grandparents, we paid a glass restorer to repair a victorian glass shade. expensive process but came out like new.
again, sorry!

It is one of those decorated glass shades that is held in with three screws at the top. I have the CF bulbs in them now but my electrician told me to never use above a 40 watt bulb because a higher watt will damage them. No worry on this one now.
Edited to add photo: Dang, I guess the picture is too big. The one with the bite out shows. It is the one next to it that is now half a shade.

That's a shame...we have several in this house with just the white shades. Maybe look online? eBay or something? Your inn-mates here can certainly keep an eye out for you! :)

That's a shame...we have several in this house with just the white shades. Maybe look online? eBay or something? Your inn-mates here can certainly keep an eye out for you! :)
I would appreciate that. I have been looking at antique shops for years trying to find 4 of a kind for the OQ living room DH studio light fixture. Each giestroom has 3 lights hanging from the ceiling fixture. Finding 3 of a kind was interesting. The 3 in the big room were actually found in 2 different antique shops - a couple years apart. I had 2 of them in the upstairs hall (that fixture has 2 lights and until just a few years ago still had gas going to it) until I spotted the third one and moved them to the guestroom.

I would appreciate that. I have been looking at antique shops for years trying to find 4 of a kind for the OQ living room DH studio light fixture. Each giestroom has 3 lights hanging from the ceiling fixture. Finding 3 of a kind was interesting. The 3 in the big room were actually found in 2 different antique shops - a couple years apart. I had 2 of them in the upstairs hall (that fixture has 2 lights and until just a few years ago still had gas going to it) until I spotted the third one and moved them to the guestroom.
I'll keep an eye out if you email me the photo. Sometimes our place that gets donations for Habitat will have antique globes. I can also check the antique stores when I have a chance when I'm out & about.
Folks will often comment on our antique light fixtures here, so I know how upset you are that that globe got broken.
sad_smile.gif

I'll keep an eye out if you email me the photo. Sometimes our place that gets donations for Habitat will have antique globes. I can also check the antique stores when I have a chance when I'm out & about.
Folks will often comment on our antique light fixtures here, so I know how upset you are that that globe got broken.
sad_smile.gif

Thank you. I sent it. You also triggered me to send the photo to my friend who is the basketmaker at Tannehill State Park near Birmingham. I think she goes to Cullman sometimes and there is a huge antique renovations company there.

Saw almost the exact same fixture on HGTV last night! The name of the guy who does repairs (and thus may have access to the globes) is David Mayne. He's in Colorado. I couldn't find any other info about him.

Saw almost the exact same fixture on HGTV last night! The name of the guy who does repairs (and thus may have access to the globes) is David Mayne. He's in Colorado. I couldn't find any other info about him..
Thanks. A couple seconds on Google and voila!!
[tr]Business Contact and Profile
[/td][/tr][tr]Name:[/td]Table M Lamp Restoration, LLC[/td][/tr][tr]Phone:[/td](303) 936-1425[/td][/tr][tr]Address:[/td]2175 S Platte River Dr Ste 100
[/td][/tr][tr] [/td]Denver, CO 80223-4015[/td][/tr][tr]Website:[/td]www.tablem.com[/td][/tr][tr]Original Business Start Date:[/td]September 2006[/td][/tr][tr]Principal:[/td]Mr. David Mayne, Owner[/td][/tr][tr]Customer Contact:[/td]Mr. David Mayne, Owner - (303) 936-1425[/td][/tr][tr]Email Address:[/td]
//;
[email protected][/td][/tr][tr]Entity:[/td]Limited Liability Company[/td][/tr][tr]Incorporated:[/td]January 2008, CO[/td][/tr][tr]TOB Classification:[/td]Lamps-Repair, Lighting Fixtures - Repair & Maintenance[/td][/tr][tr]BBB Accreditation:[/td]This company is not a BBB Accredited business.[/td][/tr][/table]

Saw almost the exact same fixture on HGTV last night! The name of the guy who does repairs (and thus may have access to the globes) is David Mayne. He's in Colorado. I couldn't find any other info about him..
[/td][/tr][tr]Name:[/td]Table M Lamp Restoration, LLC[/td][/tr][tr]Phone:[/td](303) 936-1425[/td][/tr][tr]Address:[/td]2175 S Platte River Dr Ste 100
[/td][/tr][tr] [/td]Denver, CO 80223-4015[/td][/tr][tr]Website:[/td]www.tablem.com[/td][/tr][tr]Original Business Start Date:[/td]September 2006[/td][/tr][tr]Principal:[/td]Mr. David Mayne, Owner[/td][/tr][tr]Customer Contact:[/td]Mr. David Mayne, Owner - (303) 936-1425[/td][/tr][tr]Email Address:[/td]
//;
[email protected][/td][/tr][tr]Entity:[/td]Limited Liability Company[/td][/tr][tr]Incorporated:[/td]January 2008, CO[/td][/tr][tr]TOB Classification:[/td]Lamps-Repair, Lighting Fixtures - Repair & Maintenance[/td][/tr][tr]BBB Accreditation:[/td]This company is not a BBB Accredited business.[/td][/tr][/table]
At least you found a website, I couldn't. Then again, I didn't spend a lot of time on it...

//;
At least you found a website, I couldn't. Then again, I didn't spend a lot of time on it...
If you had not given me that info, I would still be sitting here totally empty. From what you gave me, I did a google on the name with Colorado but did not get enough to zero in. Then added light fixture repair between the name and Colorado and boom! had it. 2 minutes that belonged in my court to spend. I thank you very much for the lead. I sent him an e-mail with the photo.

//;
If you had not given me that info, I would still be sitting here totally empty. From what you gave me, I did a google on the name with Colorado but did not get enough to zero in. Then added light fixture repair between the name and Colorado and boom! had it. 2 minutes that belonged in my court to spend. I thank you very much for the lead. I sent him an e-mail with the photo.
I found a lot of yellow pages listings and that sort of thing and BBB kept coming up so I don't know if he's got a bad rep or what. I found the name of the company, but even searching on that I didn't find a website. Like I said, tho, I didn't spend a lot of time on it. I get annoyed easily when someone's own website doesn't show up right away when you search on the company name!

There are many great antique shops here in MA and in southern NH that might have replacement globes similar to yours. I will be happy to look for you up this way. Do you know the measurements?

Update: Got an e-mail from David Mayne today.
Dear Kathleen,
Thank you for taking the time to find me!
While I have a fair amount of antique glass inventory, I do not have this exact pattern. I will forward the image on to a couple “pickers” that may have a lead for us. They usually take a week or two to respond! I will let you know.
Yes.. thanks to Google and the internet, one can search for almost anything. Unfortunately, I do not know of another single source (large inventory) company that stocks antique glass shades that I can refer you to.

Back