Book a bed and breakfast, catch a computer virus - INN the news 04.14.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some from another chat board are sending complaints to Reuters about this careless kind of reporting. It looks like the reporter has no clue that we all use secure systems and just assumed we are all mom-and-pop companies.
I sent a complaint and if anyone else wants to this is the link
http://reuters- en.custhelp. com/cgi-bin/ reuters_en. cfg/php/enduser/ ask.php
It would be nice if someone really computer savvy like Swirt has the time to point out that we all use secure servers like SuperInns and Webervations.
RIki.
egoodell said:
Some from another chat board are sending complaints to Reuters about this careless kind of reporting. It looks like the reporter has no clue that we all use secure systems and just assumed we are all mom-and-pop companies.
It would be nice if someone really computer savvy like Swirt has the time to point out that we all use secure servers like SuperInns and Webervations.
RIki
But that's just it..WE (as in the savvy group of innkeepers here) use secure things like an established product, but there are a lot out there who use other means, because their web person said "sure I can build that".
Using the secrue reservation systems mean credit card data is safe (or at least out of our responsibility) but the article was largely about viruses too...and as Copperhead recently shared, most of our websites have some vulnerability to being hijacked. Her site was connecting her visitors to a malware site.
Most people use too short a username and password for the methods they use to update their websites. If your password is less than 10 characters and doesn't contain a few numbers some caps and a punctuation...then it is pretty likely your site is at risk.
I get handed a lot of account info in arranging to move or alter a site and 19 times out of 20 the usernames and passwords are LOW security (a single word) which makes them easy to get hijacked.
The article wasn't faulty...just unfortunate that the business they chose to represent "mom & pop" happens to be ours :(
swirt said:
egoodell said:
RIki
But that's just it..WE (as in the savvy group of innkeepers here) use secure things like an established product, but there are a lot out there who use other means, because their web person said "sure I can build that".
Using the secrue reservation systems mean credit card data is safe (or at least out of our responsibility) but the article was largely about viruses too...and as Copperhead recently shared, most of our websites have some vulnerability to being hijacked. Her site was connecting her visitors to a malware site.
Most people use too short a username and password for the methods they use to update their websites. If your password is less than 10 characters and doesn't contain a few numbers some caps and a punctuation...then it is pretty likely your site is at risk.
I get handed a lot of account info in arranging to move or alter a site and 19 times out of 20 the usernames and passwords are LOW security (a single word) which makes them easy to get hijacked.
The article wasn't faulty...just unfortunate that the business they chose to represent "mom & pop" happens to be ours :(
Swit brings up a very good point and yes our website was tampered with. Luckily we monitor our site very closely and the issue was quickly found, not easily rid of though as it bounced from page to page for a couple of days prior to getting it totally removed. It is unfortunate that these evil people have now found small business websites to target with their evil doings. Luckily we use Webervations so our guest information was never compromised as we took our res. system offline as well while dealing with the issue - just as an extra safety precaution.
I do hold issue with the title of the article as it apears to target only our small industry. This problem is wide spread and it is important that all web users are knowlegable when placing their CC info on the internet, by the article it appears that only the B&B industry has issues. I plan to make my complaint on the subject as well.
I do hold issue with the title of the article as it apears to target only our small industry. This problem is wide spread and it is important that all web users are knowlegable when placing their CC info on the internet, by the article it appears that only the B&B industry has issues. I plan to make my complaint on the subject as well.
[/quote]
Good for you! I know nothing will be done, but maybe the reporter and the editor who created this will learn not to pick on one small buisness group in such a manner. They just wanted a sensational title and the heck with who they may harm.
RIki

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
swirt said:
The TITLE of the article was faulty. Stating book a B&B and get a virus!! If they used a little more tact in the title I would be fine with it. THanks to Riki I sent a comment and mentioned that many innkeepers used approved secure online reservation systems and that if you come across any homemade "FORM" online to input your personal details run away as fast as you can!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
The TITLE of the article was faulty. Stating book a B&B and get a virus!! If they used a little more tact in the title I would be fine with it. THanks to Riki I sent a comment and mentioned that many innkeepers used approved secure online reservation systems and that if you come across any homemade "FORM" online to input your personal details run away as fast as you can!
Good - that makes at least 4 innkeepers that I know of, who have sent complaints! I don't care if there is a danger out there, she targeted B&Bs without even checking how we book online or she'd know we use the same type of "secure server" that the big guys do, so did not conduct proper fact checking.
I have a problem with a blanket statement in the header like that.
I would hope that BedandBreakfast.com will at least contact them or something.
RIki
Good - that makes at least 4 innkeepers that I know of, who have sent complaints! I don't care if there is a danger out there, she targeted B&Bs without even checking how we book online or she'd know we use the same type of "secure server" that the big guys do, so did not conduct proper fact checking.
RIki
We did immediately.

As much as I was annoyed by the title of the article, in the past week I have encountered 'attacks' on my computer (as stated by my AV software) from 2 B&B websites I was looking at. Both have been contacted by me to tell them what I experienced.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
swirt said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
RIki
RIki
We did immediately.
JBanczak said:
RIki
We did immediately.
Great! I was hoping you would. That makes about 8 - 10 that I can think of. Not a huge number, but maybe, just maybe they will read them...?
Riki

My radio guy e-mailed it to me. It is on our local TV station's Internet page. Believe me, I sent a feedback asking why they did not contact a local B & B for the truth.
Isn;t it nice that the article does not identify the source as a Norton Anti-Virus exec? Where are they in this? Clean hands? If they had a product (which we think we are paying for - I did daily updates) that did what they say it does - stop virus, worms, adware.... - there would not be a problem would there?
Edited to add that i called the TV station to verify they are not running it as a story. I was told it is just a national news feed. Suggestion to all: call your newsoutlet if they have it posted and protestit. I now have been asked if he can call me the end of the week or beginning of next week for a story on businesses that are thriving. (He asked and I told the truth - I have more reservations on the books this year than ever at this time.)

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
swirt said:
Do you really think that happens a lot? I don't know any innkeeper who has a home-built reservation system that collects credit card info. Some are not savvy enough that they get credit card info via reservation forms or emails, but I don't think I've ever seen a booking engine that wasn't one of the big ones. Now, getting viruses on our websites is a whole different story.
muirford said:
Do you really think that happens a lot? I don't know any innkeeper who has a home-built reservation system that collects credit card info. Some are not savvy enough that they get credit card info via reservation forms or emails, but I don't think I've ever seen a booking engine that wasn't one of the big ones. Now, getting viruses on our websites is a whole different story.
I run across one every couple of weeks or so. There are quite a few of them out there but not the majority. I used to stop and email them to let them know it is a bad practice but many dismiss it as though I am trying to create a panic to drum up business for myself. So I stopped doing it, and now only bring it up if someone asks
I've also had innkeepers email me credit card info and when I tell them they shouldn't do that, they often express surprise and sometimes indicate that they have asked for CC details by email of their guests. Email is not secure at all...not even close....never ask for or send CC details by email.

Back