Booking Engines

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No decisions yet here on our selecting a booking engine. (BTW, Empty Nest - we are an independent country inn, built in 2001, so if you lived around these parts prior to that (you said London, OH), that might explain why you don't recall us (?).
We we aren't an actual "B&B" - we're sort of a hybrid inn. For the first 10 years our website operated on a first-gen HTML platform that I created in 2000 (yeah....I remember that "new millennium" stuff like it was last year....time sure flies....). Goo gle was embrionic. SEO was neanderthal compared to today. So, back in Nov of 2012 when we were cold called by BUT TEEQ with a no-obligation offer, then month-to-month after that, I went for it...just to see.
We have used their manually-managed booking engine for the last 3 months. It's certainly nice seeing reservations come in that way - but alas we DO miss the phone calls (Except for those 2am ones.....).
I am in process of shooting new photos (as soon a spring REALLY arrives and landscaping needs are finished off).
Anyway, our BUT TEEQ-hosted site is here
My newly-created 1&1 mirror sight is here (A WHOLE lot cheaper than BUT TEEQ)
It's the new site that will get the booking engine, then the site will become the primary with the other one a redirect.
Any comments on our new website will be appreciated! I have no designer to argue with.....it's me..
Comments on the site (because you asked and because I just launched my own brand new site so I'm in the thick of it right now) -
  • Your header photo is too narrow. There's a big gap on the right side of the page where the photo should stretch to. (Either resize the old photo to fit or get a different photo. Looks like the photo needs to be at least 900+ px wide.)
  • Text is too tiny. Way too tiny. Especially as there is so much of it. Maybe break some of it up with bulleted lists.
  • If you can do a little photoshopping on your rooms pix, brighten them up a bit. If you can go take new pix, even better! The tub pix is good, the others should look like that.
  • Home page is too crowded with stuff. Think Twitter and cut down on the text but link to your internal pages with more detail. Instead of the whole story on the home page, do a teaser that leads the reader to the other pages you already have set up.
  • Your Home page title is 'Home'. That is a HUGE waste of SEO space. Of course it's the home page. The title should be something searchable like 'Cedarville, Ohio Lodging, Suites, Inn - (put in some other couple of words here about location, make sense, don't just keyword-stuff) This is where you have to fill in the info:
    <meta property="og : title" content="HOME - The Hearthstone Inn"/>
  • Redo every single page title to make use of the keyword SEO. The college page should have the names of the colleges, as an example. See above.
  • The page description is also empty. Another waste of SEO space.Fill in between the "" with good content, about 160 characters' worth.
    Code:
    <meta property="[url=]og : description[/url]" content=""/>
I know this is a lot to do but it is your livelihood so it is worth the attention.
I don't know if you used a template thru Wordpress or what but there are plug-ins on WP for SEO. They tell you on every page whether or not you've hit the SEO target keywords. Another option is Google's Webmaster Tools.

BTW, I am excessively wordy and everyone calls me on it. Bulleted lists really let you get your ideas and content out there but make it so much easier for the guest to read.
Or, something like 'Bike along the scenic, paved such and such rail trail. Find more info on our Bike Trail page.' (link to the bike trail page. Photo of bikes. And don't forget to use the alt="" tag for the photos. More SEO. But, you see how that gets your keywords out there and linked? 'bike, rail trail, bike trail' all in the same narrow space. And an internal link to another of your pages.
'College interviews coming up? We are close to these OH colleges (name the closest ones and then link to your college page). Parents - reserve your rooms for graduation now!' Photo of happy college students with parents.

I do appreciate the website observations thus far. The mirror site was just launched yesterday, so SEO has not yet been done by 1&1. I've "instructed" them as to what my Metas ought to look like. Trust me - I'll watch it closely. They take two weeks to run the pages through their SEO paces and set up the back end.
Photos are a work in progress and are planned to be re-shot shortly. I agree on the comments.
Front page photo - I'd like it bigger, but this particular template is set-in-cement. I'll look around at the others. I DID pick this template because the colors worked for us.
Text size. This one is a problem. I agree that what LOOKS like 7-8 point type is pretty dismal. Plus the page IS wordy. I'll look to split this up or shorten the sections.
This mirror site is not yet "launched" as the primary, so my strategy is to get it right before we set redirects.
Keep 'em comin.

I do appreciate the website observations thus far. The mirror site was just launched yesterday, so SEO has not yet been done by 1&1. I've "instructed" them as to what my Metas ought to look like. Trust me - I'll watch it closely. They take two weeks to run the pages through their SEO paces and set up the back end.
Photos are a work in progress and are planned to be re-shot shortly. I agree on the comments.
Front page photo - I'd like it bigger, but this particular template is set-in-cement. I'll look around at the others. I DID pick this template because the colors worked for us.
Text size. This one is a problem. I agree that what LOOKS like 7-8 point type is pretty dismal. Plus the page IS wordy. I'll look to split this up or shorten the sections.
This mirror site is not yet "launched" as the primary, so my strategy is to get it right before we set redirects.
Keep 'em comin..
In re templates - either the sizing or the colors should be changeable no matter what you pick. If the header photo can't be resized then the text body has to come in to fit the photo.

Keep 'em comin..
Redirects - OMG what a bear to get them right and to get them to work! If you've hired this out, then good for you. It took me days to get the redirects to work right.

I have just gotten a message back from 1&1dotcom. It's interesting that all my email responses contain broken English..... OK....Let's not go there......
Anyway, it appears that we are at the mercy of the boilerplate template collection with little control over HTML coding - surely not font size or photo size (beyond predetermined parameters). You'd think I could go into the font editor and see a + or -. Not with this one.....
So....we are not desirous of spending $2-3 K for a typical web makeover. Are there any suggestions as to what host/SEO companies might provide us a bit more of an accommodation for website control?

I have just gotten a message back from 1&1dotcom. It's interesting that all my email responses contain broken English..... OK....Let's not go there......
Anyway, it appears that we are at the mercy of the boilerplate template collection with little control over HTML coding - surely not font size or photo size (beyond predetermined parameters). You'd think I could go into the font editor and see a + or -. Not with this one.....
So....we are not desirous of spending $2-3 K for a typical web makeover. Are there any suggestions as to what host/SEO companies might provide us a bit more of an accommodation for website control?.
I thought you were using them just as a hosting company. Nothing prevents you from installing WORDPRESS, buying your own theme and customizing it to the way you want. Kathleen hosts with them and she uses wordpress. So they do have that capability. That's the route I would take. If you know enough to fill in their templates, then wordpress should be just fine for you. That way you only pay for hosting and not for their website.
You should always be in control of your own site. That's the route I would take. Never be at the mercy of a company template unless you don't have a clue what you are doing as many people don't,but then their sites look like it too.
I can't believe you would pay them to SEO your site when they know nothing about your business...that is up to you.

So....we are not desirous of spending $2-3 K for a typical web makeover. Are there any suggestions as to what host/SEO companies might provide us a bit more of an accommodation for website control?.
Definitely buy and upload a GOOD template, one you have 'total' control to make the changes you want. Firstly, read the info on 1+1 to understand what you can do and how to do it. You do not have to be at the 'mercy' of a bad template or clueless help desk people.
Yes, you thought you were close to done. BUT, you'll be much happier with a design you like and SEO that brings you business.

Keep 'em comin..
hearthstoneinn said:
Keep 'em comin.
You are doin' it right Hearthstone! You are bold for showing it here, so don't dismay at the comments, NO WEBSITE is perfect for every person or inn. It is always a work in progress!
teeth_smile.gif

Just got off the phone with 1&1 and they JUST released an Advanced Text Editor! (yes....the tech support was...er...uh...quite understandable being US.) Ergo, I plan to do some page revisions now, reducing verbage and making an easier read.
As for the header photo, the parameters are indeed locked. I'm OK with the current limitation in size and off-centered design, but it won't be forever. I do have the capability to insert a slide show via code manipulation, either internal or external. In this regard, I'm looking to do a Burns dissolve with some attractive, hi-def photos. They'll come soon enough - after we get out of this finicky Spring (is THAT what they call this??).
Backend SEO is under development - different team.
With regards to the bedspreads comment, in fact our guests love the colors/patterns regardless of any Hotel Impossible assessments. BUT, in fact we are now planning to change the look in the next year to duvet design. It's FINDING the right look that coordinates with the interior which is the challenge. So....not to get off the subject here....but we invite any "direction" in this regard from you all. 20 rooms will be a pricey project, but it's about the time to do this change also. Maybe time to initiate a "Duvet Makeover" thread?

Just got off the phone with 1&1 and they JUST released an Advanced Text Editor! (yes....the tech support was...er...uh...quite understandable being US.) Ergo, I plan to do some page revisions now, reducing verbage and making an easier read.
As for the header photo, the parameters are indeed locked. I'm OK with the current limitation in size and off-centered design, but it won't be forever. I do have the capability to insert a slide show via code manipulation, either internal or external. In this regard, I'm looking to do a Burns dissolve with some attractive, hi-def photos. They'll come soon enough - after we get out of this finicky Spring (is THAT what they call this??).
With regards to the bedspreads comment, in fact our guests love the colors/patterns regardless of any Hotel Impossible assessments. BUT, in fact we are now planning to change the look in the next year to duvet design. It's FINDING the right look that coordinates with the interior which is the challenge. So....not to get off the subject here....but we invite any "direction" in this regard from you all. 20 rooms will be a pricey project, but it's about the time to do this change also. Maybe time to initiate a "Duvet Makeover" thread?.
advance text editor isn't going to do you any good when you are still stuck with their template. Ask them to install wordpress and then YOU TAKE IT OVER! Don't depend on their support to do it for you. This is YOUR BUSINESS..this is not the look you should be going for.
You want to create your site to look as much as possible the Bu tee q one. Why do you have double row of navigation? Doesn't look good at all.

Working on front page. Reduced navigation bar to one row (great input - THANKS!). Playing with fonts and condensing copy. I will likely stay with 1&1. Platform is HTML/Java/CSS. Limited editing overall, but that's OK for me at this time. I'm working on getting a Burns style slide show embedded in the main photo area.
I'm OK with it so far, as long as the end result is effective for best SEO. Can't beat it for the price given the thousand$$ others often pay.

With regards to the bedspreads comment, in fact our guests love the colors/patterns regardless of any Hotel Impossible assessments. BUT, in fact we are now planning to change the look in the next year to duvet design. It's FINDING the right look that coordinates with the interior which is the challenge. So....not to get off the subject here....but we invite any "direction" in this regard from you all. 20 rooms will be a pricey project, but it's about the time to do this change also. Maybe time to initiate a "Duvet Makeover" thread?.
hearthstoneinn said:
Maybe time to initiate a "Duvet Makeover" thread?
Yes, definitely move that topic off to another thread!

OK....I reviewed the recommendations leading to WordPress and I am reviewing the commercial template purchase options. Can we get some direction regarding WordPress templates for our business? I'm starting at square one here....NO experience with WordPress at all. I think you're right....I think it's time to move out of HTML...

OK....I reviewed the recommendations leading to WordPress and I am reviewing the commercial template purchase options. Can we get some direction regarding WordPress templates for our business? I'm starting at square one here....NO experience with WordPress at all. I think you're right....I think it's time to move out of HTML....
I used the Striking theme. I think it would work for you as well. There are several different slide show options to choose from (but I don't know what a 'Burns slideshow' is so not sure if the ones loaded in this theme are what you want).
You can change the color scheme to whatever you want. Choose your layout (one column, two column, three column). You can have a portfolio of photos. A blog. Basically, whatever you want.

OK....I reviewed the recommendations leading to WordPress and I am reviewing the commercial template purchase options. Can we get some direction regarding WordPress templates for our business? I'm starting at square one here....NO experience with WordPress at all. I think you're right....I think it's time to move out of HTML....
It is very overwhelming to look for themes. There are thousands of them in the commercial category. If you know a site you really like you can check to see if that site used a theme and the name of it.

I turned Madeliene to the STRIKING THEME. The support guys are terrific!!!! I have found none to compare with them. They are in beta for their RESPONSIVE theme right now and if you buy the STRIKING theme now ( $55) you get the free STRIKING R. No one else does that!
I just finished doing this site in STRIKING R beta and for what they needed everything works just fine.(See here) And Maddie's site is in the Fixed STRIKING current layout, but still can be viewed via smartphone well.
You can read more here and see the kind of support they give http://kaptinlin.com/support/
You can see it in action here:
Yes it is time to move away from html. If they can put wordpress on your site for you...then stick with 1 1 but do your own site. BE IN CONTROL not at the mercy of a company.

Moving at the speed of light here.....just talked to 1&1....Business WordPress pkg gives SSL cert and Dreamweaver, but these seem non-essential given the PCI compliant booking engines I am considering and WordPress - not HTML - as the platform. Limited package seems best buy at $5.99/month.
Time to move the website into the 21st century I guess....retool and learn WordPress basics...Sales guy suggested I go to You Tube for some great tutuorials.
I'll keep both sites up while "under construction" with WordPress.
Keep the feedback coming! Thanks.

Moving at the speed of light here.....just talked to 1&1....Business WordPress pkg gives SSL cert and Dreamweaver, but these seem non-essential given the PCI compliant booking engines I am considering and WordPress - not HTML - as the platform. Limited package seems best buy at $5.99/month.
Time to move the website into the 21st century I guess....retool and learn WordPress basics...Sales guy suggested I go to You Tube for some great tutuorials.
Keep the feedback coming! Thanks..
hearthstoneinn said:
Keep the feedback coming! Thanks.
You will never look back!
Good on ya.

Keep the feedback coming! Thanks..
Forget Dreamweaver..that is html. And you don't need ssl as you aren't a shopping cart. If you want to see some excellent videos go here.
Woo does a great job. with the videos and some of their themes are good...but I am not keen on their support. Have used several themes and this past week..they still could not help me. It took me 2 days of research where they had me running in every different direction before I figured it out on my own.
Get yourself FIREBUG and don't look back. This will help you to understand styles and you can change right then and there on the fly and see how it will affect the look of the site and it isn't permanent until you actually put the new codes into your custom styles..
Watch before you try anything...you'll be better prepared.

Back