Booking mistake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Arrrgh! I had a long time guest make a rez, she says, for 3 days. I only have her in for 2 days. She wanted to pay for all of her nights today, even tho it's a split vacation. I checked to see what room she has next week and realized I didn't have her down for 3 nights. She was very graceful but it rankles that I made that mistake.

It's bound to happen sometimes. Any thoughts on how best to handle it?
Also, have you ever had the same room booked for two different parties on the same day? If it's possible for that to happen, how would you handle it?

I had that happen for today. I do have a "better" room open so the guest checking in today I am relocating and the one who has been in the booked room for the last 2 nights shall remain there. Ideally I would have told the guest in advance, I did leave them a message, I hope they like the alternative as much as the one they selected.

Also, have you ever had the same room booked for two different parties on the same day? If it's possible for that to happen, how would you handle it?.
Arkansawyer said:
Also, have you ever had the same room booked for two different parties on the same day? If it's possible for that to happen, how would you handle it?
We had that happen ONCE. A guest was booking online at the same time we were booking the same room on the phone. The guest on the phone, when told there was a problem (we were new at this!) DEMANDED that they get the room they booked because they were talking to us. We agreed and said we'd give the upgrade to the online guest. Dead silence on the other end of the phone.
If this guest wasn't amenable to not being able to stay the extra night, I would refer her to another B&B and let her decide if she wanted ALL of her nights there vs here. If yes, my tough luck. As it stands, she's my '#2' guest in re number of nights booked, and she's cool. NOT that I want to get in the habit of having this happen to anyone.

I had that happen for today. I do have a "better" room open so the guest checking in today I am relocating and the one who has been in the booked room for the last 2 nights shall remain there. Ideally I would have told the guest in advance, I did leave them a message, I hope they like the alternative as much as the one they selected..
I had to do that for a guest coming back with the guest who I didn't book for the correct number of days. (It's a group booking next week.) I bumped them to a 'better' room to give a 2-nighter the same room. They are delighted with the change.

Also, have you ever had the same room booked for two different parties on the same day? If it's possible for that to happen, how would you handle it?.
Arkansawyer said:
We had that happen ONCE. A guest was booking online at the same time we were booking the same room on the phone. The guest on the phone, when told there was a problem (we were new at this!) DEMANDED that they get the room they booked because they were talking to us. We agreed and said we'd give the upgrade to the online guest. Dead silence on the other end of the phone.
If this guest wasn't amenable to not being able to stay the extra night, I would refer her to another B&B and let her decide if she wanted ALL of her nights there vs here. If yes, my tough luck. As it stands, she's my '#2' guest in re number of nights booked, and she's cool. NOT that I want to get in the habit of having this happen to anyone.
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
I bet you still would do this today, and good for you! There is no way I would upgrade someone pitching a fit before they even heard your plans... there loss.

It is named Christian Louboutin for the reason that man who create Christian Louboutin shoes. At the same time, it's helpful to reduce the risk of injury for the player. If you think your feet should be protected well during the strenuous exercise, the Christian Louboutin Pumps are the right choice for you. There are many Cheap Christian Louboutin Heels from our shop. If you want to learn more informations of those Christian Louboutin Boots, please visite our website http://www.louboutinshopsale.com/. Are you looking for a comfortable shoes? We are ready for you to give you great discount Christian Louboutin Sandals and best service. a

If you are looking for a pair of pretty UGG Boots, you shouldn't miss this chance for purchasing UGG Classic Cardy Boots this season in our shop. Ugg Bailey Button would give people such a deep impression. UGG Classic Short Boots appreciate it not only by the high quality with steady innovations but also by its stylish designs. There is no doubt that it could go well with you casual outfits. There are many kinds of UGG Classic Tall Boots for different ages and tastes online. So pick up your own UGG Sandals now.

Since our rooms are essentially the same, aside from decor, when this happens, so I can't really offer an upgrade and offer a discount instead.
I once had a situation where both cottages were booked for several single night stays with an odd opening for each cottage. I received a request for a two-night stay and had to offer a discount to another guest to get them to move to a different cottage so I could accommodate the request.
I'd like to figure out how I could "upgrade" their stay without losing money. Any ideas?

Since our rooms are essentially the same, aside from decor, when this happens, so I can't really offer an upgrade and offer a discount instead.
I once had a situation where both cottages were booked for several single night stays with an odd opening for each cottage. I received a request for a two-night stay and had to offer a discount to another guest to get them to move to a different cottage so I could accommodate the request.
I'd like to figure out how I could "upgrade" their stay without losing money. Any ideas?.
Proud Texan said:
I'd like to figure out how I could "upgrade" their stay without losing money. Any ideas?
What would be the dollar amount of a discount you would offer? If a discount has been given, I wouldn't do anything else. BUT, if no discount and you want to enhance the stay in a meaningful, albeit cheap way, I am STILL talking about a tiny bottle of champagne the innkeepers left in the firdge for me when I said it was my anniversary. My guess is they spent, maybe, $6-$7 and probably not because they probably bought by the caseload!
Bought them MILES of publicity from me.
So, a nice cheap 'upgrade' or 'thanks for being a sport'. And it is probably less than you would have offered for a discount.
Other ideas:
  • small box of local chocolates
  • flowers you might have in the yard, nicely arranged in their room
  • tix to some local event that you get for a discounted price

I'd like to figure out how I could "upgrade" their stay without losing money. Any ideas?.
Proud Texan said:
What would be the dollar amount of a discount you would offer? If a discount has been given, I wouldn't do anything else. BUT, if no discount and you want to enhance the stay in a meaningful, albeit cheap way, I am STILL talking about a tiny bottle of champagne the innkeepers left in the firdge for me when I said it was my anniversary. My guess is they spent, maybe, $6-$7 and probably not because they probably bought by the caseload!
So, a nice cheap 'upgrade' or 'thanks for being a sport'. And it is probably less than you would have offered for a discount.
Other ideas:
Morticia said:
Proud Texan said:
Other ideas:
All good ideas, thanks.

Yup...
Try to offer something tangible that costs less than what the $ discount would have been.
Be surprised how much good will a $5-$10 item can have vs a $20 or more discount.

Yup...
Try to offer something tangible that costs less than what the $ discount would have been.
Be surprised how much good will a $5-$10 item can have vs a $20 or more discount..
One Day said:
Yup...
Be surprised how much good will a $5-$10 item can have vs a $20 or more discount.
This should be taught in school.

I had this when it was really busy I was on the phone taking a booking for that night and my mum was at the door taking a walk in! However I managed to find the ladies a room somewhere else and they were really nice about it but I nearly went spare. The lady my mum took was a bit of a cow as I came upstairs as they were just finishing up and I told her the situation and her reply was Well I've got the key its their tough luck isn't it? Would have rather taken the others!

This is why we switched to all online booking. We unfortunately had this happen multiple times when we were still taking phone resos. Someone would forget to write it down, or block it out online, and it was a mess. Of course it always happened when we were 100% full too so no where else to put the "mistake". We had a few unhappy campers, even though we paid for them to stay elsewhere.
This hasn't happened at all since we implemented our online booking discount and now take all reservations online.

This is why we switched to all online booking. We unfortunately had this happen multiple times when we were still taking phone resos. Someone would forget to write it down, or block it out online, and it was a mess. Of course it always happened when we were 100% full too so no where else to put the "mistake". We had a few unhappy campers, even though we paid for them to stay elsewhere.
This hasn't happened at all since we implemented our online booking discount and now take all reservations online..
Don Draper said:
This hasn't happened at all since we implemented our online booking discount and now take all reservations online.
I'm afraid of the same thing. Even if they call to book, I request that they fill out the online request on Webervations so that they will be "in the system" and so far it has worked except for a couple that are older and don't use computers.
RIki

This hasn't happened at all since we implemented our online booking discount and now take all reservations online..
Don Draper said:
I'm afraid of the same thing. Even if they call to book, I request that they fill out the online request on Webervations so that they will be "in the system" and so far it has worked except for a couple that are older and don't use computers.
RIki
We still get the occasional folks who don't/won't/can't do an online booking...they phone and leave a message as to when they want to stay, we call them back and are ready to enter it right into Webervations from our end so they are no mistakes.

I do like the online reservation "only" idea......
Understand the need for those not having computers.....and are using travel books for scoping out accomodations.

Yeah, sometimes I will look at my online and see x's and then look at my book and it is BLANK! YIKES! Possibly vice versa. Glad it doesn't happen very often and I haven't double booked YET!

Remnjava - we have done the same thing here on a few occasions... talk about panic!! But that is fixable!

Back