Booking no longer sends CVC codes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I just received a reservation through Booking and noticed they didn't send me the card's security code they way they used to. I charge a 1st night deposit at the time they reserve, so I went into ResKey and luckily the charge went through OK without the security code. Whew! A relief. That had me concerned!
So I went to my Booking account and found this message from them, dated Monday of this week:
Dear Partner
We would like to notify you that effective immediately the CVC code from guests will not be requested at the time of booking and therefore you should expect that this will not be distributed to you when a booking is made. If you require the CVC code for a preauthorization and/or charge to a guest, please reply via the Extranet Inbox requesting an exception.
Regards
The Booking.com Team
So they don't even have the code themselves. They're not asking for it anymore.

Well, you know that they can't store it, right? So I'm wondering how they would send it to you considering that they can't store it.

Well at least you got the other CC info! There is a problem new problem on mine and I can not get the CC info. Called my rep last Friday and she reported the problem to tech group. She called back on Monday saying the problem is more complicated than they expected and affects more than just me.
The rez is not until Feb but is for 7 days so I do need to get the info to secure the time.

Well at least you got the other CC info! There is a problem new problem on mine and I can not get the CC info. Called my rep last Friday and she reported the problem to tech group. She called back on Monday saying the problem is more complicated than they expected and affects more than just me.
The rez is not until Feb but is for 7 days so I do need to get the info to secure the time..
Contact the guest directly if you have phone or email info. I've done that. Just explain the cc info did not come thru on the Rez and you need it to process their Rez.

Up until this week I always got the CVC from Booking reservations (through info they provided to MyAllocator.com) and entered it manually in ResKey to charge the deposit. As they say above, they (Booking) have only stopped providing it this week.
I'm just glad to see the cards go through without it. I was afraid they wouldn't.
I wonder if we're paying a higher rate to run through charges without it. I would think there would be less security without it, meaning more chance of fraud. Otherwise why even have them?

Up until this week I always got the CVC from Booking reservations (through info they provided to MyAllocator.com) and entered it manually in ResKey to charge the deposit. As they say above, they (Booking) have only stopped providing it this week.
I'm just glad to see the cards go through without it. I was afraid they wouldn't.
I wonder if we're paying a higher rate to run through charges without it. I would think there would be less security without it, meaning more chance of fraud. Otherwise why even have them?.
I spoke with a completely new cc processor last month. She said, for her company, the cvv helps but it's the address that really counts. So we have started entering the address when processing the cards manually.

I wonder if we're paying a higher rate to run through charges without it. I would think there would be less security without it, meaning more chance of fraud. Otherwise why even have them?.
I'm surprised you were getting the code. I should have tried making a Rez to see what guests were asked for.

I spoke with a completely new cc processor last month. She said, for her company, the cvv helps but it's the address that really counts. So we have started entering the address when processing the cards manually.
The people that cloned my card had my name and address (pretty easy using the Internet). What they didn't know was that I see my charges daily. So I caught it before anything was shipped.

Arks said:
I wonder if we're paying a higher rate to run through charges without it. I would think there would be less security without it, meaning more chance of fraud. Otherwise why even have them?
My provider does charge more without, so I would check.

I did see the message on booking as well. It stated you could ask for an exception and still get the code. I may do this as well.

The people that cloned my card had my name and address (pretty easy using the Internet). What they didn't know was that I see my charges daily. So I caught it before anything was shipped.
Can we hazard a guess here that both your name and mine are not really all that common? ;-)

Can we hazard a guess here that both your name and mine are not really all that common? ;-)
Well, as far as I know, there are only 2 people on earth with my name. So I guess it's unique enough :)

I only started taking it after I found out SQ required it for card not present. I also found out last year that the zip code MUST match the BILLING address zip. IF my billing address is a P O Box in the next town but I rez with my home address the charge will not go.

Yes I think the zip code is the main thing they're interested in. That's why a lot of gas pumps ask you to enter your zip code before they will accept your CC payment.

Yes I think the zip code is the main thing they're interested in. That's why a lot of gas pumps ask you to enter your zip code before they will accept your CC payment..
And why I can't pay at the pump.

I only started taking it after I found out SQ required it for card not present. I also found out last year that the zip code MUST match the BILLING address zip. IF my billing address is a P O Box in the next town but I rez with my home address the charge will not go..
Yes. For telephone bookings I must remember to ask for their mailing address. Square's need for the code is what led to the R es N ex us divorce.

Called today to get an update on the issue about not able to get the CC info. and my Rep said that now there are hundreds of tickets for the same issue with no fix yet.

She offered a bypass for now by getting my reservations via fax which will have the CC info on the fax.
While I had her on the phone I mentioned the CVC issue. She was not informed of this change. She was however able to go to my settings and uncheck a box which states I do not need the CVC code. She said she believes this will fix this issue and I will once again get the code.

Called today to get an update on the issue about not able to get the CC info. and my Rep said that now there are hundreds of tickets for the same issue with no fix yet.

She offered a bypass for now by getting my reservations via fax which will have the CC info on the fax.
While I had her on the phone I mentioned the CVC issue. She was not informed of this change. She was however able to go to my settings and uncheck a box which states I do not need the CVC code. She said she believes this will fix this issue and I will once again get the code..
Copperhead said:

She offered a bypass for now by getting my reservations via fax which will have the CC info on the fax. ow in
While I had her on the phone I mentioned the CVC issue. She was not informed of this change. She was however able to go to my settings and uncheck a box which states I do not need the CVC code. She said she believes this will fix this issue and I will once again get the code.
FAX??? How unsecure is that!

While I had her on the phone I mentioned the CVC issue. She was not informed of this change. She was however able to go to my settings and uncheck a box which states I do not need the CVC code. She said she believes this will fix this issue and I will once again get the code..
Copperhead said:

She offered a bypass for now by getting my reservations via fax which will have the CC info on the fax. ow in
Breakfast Diva said:
Copperhead said:

My thoughts exactly! Well it did not provide the needed CC info either. She said she was going to ask Customer Service to contact the guest in Italy tomorrow and then connect them with me to get their card details. What a pain!

Back