Books in B&B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Do you have books hanging around the inn? Do you have specific topics you stock or is it more eclectic? Do you find guests READ the books you leave around or are they just in the guests' way?
When you're traveling do you want books around you? What kinds of books? Books about the area? Casual reading? Places to go?

We've got books in the common living room. Books of all sorts and topics. Most of them we got used. We also put all our travel books out there and the guests like to look through those. Most of the paperback novels can be exchanged by the guests if they want to read a new one, they just leave their old one. We also have lots of books about our area, hiking, birding, local flora and fauna and history and some people really like those.
Now that I travel with my Kindle, it doesn't matter to me when we travel if there are books there, but I used to love to exchange books if they offered it.
We have a few magazines in each of the guest rooms.

Yes
Yes
No, not in the way? I don't put them in the way. Dressers are for guests and any other surface.
I have them all over the place though. I have regional books (people want to buy them!) I have a box of books for sale $5 any book in the parlor (left over from the gift shop stuff), I have all sorts of wildlife and outdoors type books, Civil War, Blue Ridge Mountains, etc.
This has always been one of my favorite parts of staying in a B&B, btw. You nailed it! I love to look through and read books there, at your B&B, wherever you are!

Yes
Yes
No, not in the way? I don't put them in the way. Dressers are for guests and any other surface.
I have them all over the place though. I have regional books (people want to buy them!) I have a box of books for sale $5 any book in the parlor (left over from the gift shop stuff), I have all sorts of wildlife and outdoors type books, Civil War, Blue Ridge Mountains, etc.
This has always been one of my favorite parts of staying in a B&B, btw. You nailed it! I love to look through and read books there, at your B&B, wherever you are!.
We have all kinds of books. We have coffee-table bookes in the library out on the area - like Monticello, Jefferson's home so folks can look through them.
RIki

We have our personal library available, but we also keep a pile of books that guests are welcome to take a book or leave a book. Sometimes they leave a book when they are finished the book and are going back and don't want the weight in their luggage. We welcome the guests to leave or take a book and many have. The pile never seems to really dwindle below five books and some really like it.
We have a few guidebooks as well. We have had two books stolen in the past year. One was a Lonely Planet city guide, which was the first one we were listed in as a Best Bet. The other was copy of the government rating guide for B&Bs we had borrowed from the neighbour. I don't know why someone would steal it. The guide was just made available in PDF, so I don't need a printed copy anymore, but it was embarrassing to tell the neighbour of the theft.
I think I will reorder the city guide but maybe I will drill a hole in the corner and tie it down so guests can use it, but not walk away with it.

I have a room in the inn that is a library with most of my accumulation through the years, plus VCR tapes and DVD's. I have cut magazine subscriptions down from 6 when I started to two, and gave up on WSJ, just the local paper. People do occasionally browse through those books. I have a couple of history books about my town in the parlor. Nothing in the guest rooms.

I don't have anything in the guest rooms but the living room has a 4-shelf bookcase and a magazine rack (huge). I'm adding another bookcase out in the hall so I can sort the books- 'You can take these' and 'Please leave these for others to enjoy'. That would be all the local books. The coffee table is piled high. The side table ditto. I have a huge 'coffee table' ummm coffee table BOOK of the New Yorker cartoons. Guests use it for a coffee table.
Just wondering if I should dial it back a bit!
The casual reading pile is getting higher so I NEED the other bookcase so guests can actually take one without bringing the whole stack down. And I have to make the kid's books easier to get at. And the games.

I go to Friends of the Library and Half Price Books and stock up on things that grab my interest - mostly good healthy murders but other books also. I read them and then they go upstairs to guest area. All are hardbacks. Guests are told to help themselves to anything that interests them - no limit on how many. I have mototcycle, WV Living, Mountain Home, and WV Tourism magazine in the rooms and guests are told any printed material on the second floor is up for grabs - help yourself. Lots of times they do.

I did a Ph.D. in English and neo-Latin poetry, and we have a library full of books with everything from the classics to mystery novels to trashy fantasy-sci-fi books. When we bought the Lodge, our realtor told us to get rid of the books because they scared potential buyers. "We haven't even closed yet, and already you're planning to sell the place for us."
"It never hurts to plan ahead," the realtor muttered darkly. "Books look cluttered."
We ignored her; she was also bitter about the fact that we wouldn't consider buying places where our 1914 antique Steinway 7-ft grand wouldn't fit. "You could have got that place for a song, but your damn piano wouldn't fit!"
However, we've stayed in B&Bs where there were books in our room, and I agree with posters above that this contributes to clutter. Besides, you have to dust the damn things when you turn the room. We have a nice library where most of the popular stuff--including the trashy vampire and werewolf stuff--is on shelves (I figure skiers and mountain climbers aren't going to be that interested in Herodotus). Guests can build a roaring fire and curl up on one of the sofas.
In the alcove off the sitting room in the dining lodge, we have a variety of mountain climbing books, hiking books, maps, trail guides to our area, Colorado gazetteers, and other "of local interest" books. We also regularly photocopy pages from books so our guests have good maps of the areas for hiking, biking, and back-country skiing.
No books in the rooms, though.

I did a Ph.D. in English and neo-Latin poetry, and we have a library full of books with everything from the classics to mystery novels to trashy fantasy-sci-fi books. When we bought the Lodge, our realtor told us to get rid of the books because they scared potential buyers. "We haven't even closed yet, and already you're planning to sell the place for us."
"It never hurts to plan ahead," the realtor muttered darkly. "Books look cluttered."
We ignored her; she was also bitter about the fact that we wouldn't consider buying places where our 1914 antique Steinway 7-ft grand wouldn't fit. "You could have got that place for a song, but your damn piano wouldn't fit!"
However, we've stayed in B&Bs where there were books in our room, and I agree with posters above that this contributes to clutter. Besides, you have to dust the damn things when you turn the room. We have a nice library where most of the popular stuff--including the trashy vampire and werewolf stuff--is on shelves (I figure skiers and mountain climbers aren't going to be that interested in Herodotus). Guests can build a roaring fire and curl up on one of the sofas.
In the alcove off the sitting room in the dining lodge, we have a variety of mountain climbing books, hiking books, maps, trail guides to our area, Colorado gazetteers, and other "of local interest" books. We also regularly photocopy pages from books so our guests have good maps of the areas for hiking, biking, and back-country skiing.
No books in the rooms, though..
HighMountainLodge said:
When we bought the Lodge, our realtor told us to get rid of the books because they scared potential buyers. "We haven't even closed yet, and already you're planning to sell the place for us."
Boy, she sounds like a hoot and a half to work with
tounge_smile.gif

Yes
Yes
This has always been one of my favorite parts of staying in a B&B, btw. You nailed it! I love to look through and read books there, at your B&B, wherever you are!.
We have all kinds of books. We have coffee-table bookes in the library out on the area - like Monticello, Jefferson's home so folks can look through them.
RIki
All 3 rooms have book shelves and I bougth them at Bridgewater College book sale Alumni weekend for $1.00 each.

No books in the rooms, though..
HighMountainLodge said:
When we bought the Lodge, our realtor told us to get rid of the books because they scared potential buyers. "We haven't even closed yet, and already you're planning to sell the place for us."
tounge_smile.gif

Penelope said:
HighMountainLodge said:
tounge_smile.gif
Actually, I'm a he. But my wife doesn't seem to mind working with me.
Tom
Oh! you mean the realtor. Yeah, she was, indeed, a hoot. A former Wall-Street financier, we learned a bunch about B&B financing that has stood us in good stead. We're still in touch, and it's fun to tease her.

I remember seeing this book at a lodge and thoroughly enjoyed flipping through it. It was just something I would not buy, where would I put it, but enjoyed it there. In the rooms, don't put them on surfaces, you can put them in a nightstand and wardrobe. I have had at least a dozen guests get stuck into a book and not want to leave until they finish it. Most take them with our compliments. Books are fun! Please have big bold books for your guests, not just novels, but something to flip through!
TreeBook-Jacket.jpg

I remember seeing this book at a lodge and thoroughly enjoyed flipping through it. It was just something I would not buy, where would I put it, but enjoyed it there. In the rooms, don't put them on surfaces, you can put them in a nightstand and wardrobe. I have had at least a dozen guests get stuck into a book and not want to leave until they finish it. Most take them with our compliments. Books are fun! Please have big bold books for your guests, not just novels, but something to flip through!
TreeBook-Jacket.jpg
TONS of photo books of the area. As a matter of fact, I was just in the bookstore and there on the front shelf, by the door, was a book by one of my guests. He gave us a copy and I have it out for guests to flip thru. He stayed here while he was taking all the photos. (Did he mention us? Take a photo of the inn? Sadly, no.)

Yes - illustrated coffee table books in the living room about the area/region, historic preservation, and a couple by local authors. Books in the guest rooms that were related to the "theme" of the room and were on book shelves. And novels & games in the common guest areas. All the rooms and the living room had current magazines as well - I would only keep the last several months and rotated the ones in the rooms.
Our guests were in & out so much that they really didn't get into the novels but did enjoy the magazines.

We have many books here and they do get used. We have a variety so there's something for everyone.
Paperback novels: Guests are welcome to take them and some do. Some leave books they've finished and some of my repeats bring me books.
Magazines: We get two that are local and appeal as much to visitors and cottagers as locals. We also get Ontario Nature magazine which suits our area.
Non-fiction, essay collections, anthologies, short story collections, photo coffee table books, cartoon compilations (Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side Gallery, The New Yorker Dog Cartoons), novelty books (Action Heroine's Guide, Book of Lists): These are all books that can be picked up and put down easily without having to commit to a long plot. They get a lot of use.
Canadian Literature: Whether hard cover or paperback, guests are welcome to read them here but not take them home. I have some on a shelf in the dining room and they often spark conversations.
Most of the books are in the guest lounge. Some magazines are in a basket in the registration area along with tourist info stuff. Only one of our rooms has some books in, and those are on a high little corner wall shelf and not where guests would be putting belongings anyway. And the books suit the room. They're little "Bedside Book of...." from Reader's Digest from the 1950's or '60's I think. Like little time capsules!
We also have a good selection of board games in the guest lounge. Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit are by far the most popular, but every now and then someone breaks out Statego, Monopoly or Taboo.
I love books so when I travel I like to find books that will entertain or educate without a big commitment of my time (or a free-to-a-good-home selection).

We have many books here and they do get used. We have a variety so there's something for everyone.
Paperback novels: Guests are welcome to take them and some do. Some leave books they've finished and some of my repeats bring me books.
Magazines: We get two that are local and appeal as much to visitors and cottagers as locals. We also get Ontario Nature magazine which suits our area.
Non-fiction, essay collections, anthologies, short story collections, photo coffee table books, cartoon compilations (Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side Gallery, The New Yorker Dog Cartoons), novelty books (Action Heroine's Guide, Book of Lists): These are all books that can be picked up and put down easily without having to commit to a long plot. They get a lot of use.
Canadian Literature: Whether hard cover or paperback, guests are welcome to read them here but not take them home. I have some on a shelf in the dining room and they often spark conversations.
Most of the books are in the guest lounge. Some magazines are in a basket in the registration area along with tourist info stuff. Only one of our rooms has some books in, and those are on a high little corner wall shelf and not where guests would be putting belongings anyway. And the books suit the room. They're little "Bedside Book of...." from Reader's Digest from the 1950's or '60's I think. Like little time capsules!
We also have a good selection of board games in the guest lounge. Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit are by far the most popular, but every now and then someone breaks out Statego, Monopoly or Taboo.
I love books so when I travel I like to find books that will entertain or educate without a big commitment of my time (or a free-to-a-good-home selection)..
It's the writer gene. Has to be. Writers like lots of books around.

I love books so when I travel I like to find books that will entertain or educate without a big commitment of my time (or a free-to-a-good-home selection)..
I can't remember if I told you, but after I posted a blog on books we have here, I had a guest tell me it was the reason she chose us. She's an aspiring writer and I guess she figured we would be a good environment for her.

I can't remember if I told you, but after I posted a blog on books we have here, I had a guest tell me it was the reason she chose us. She's an aspiring writer and I guess she figured we would be a good environment for her.
happyjacks said:
cheers.gif

Excellent! I feel a blog post coming on...

Back