Born in a Barn????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
It is COLD!!! We have gone from temps in the 80s to temps in the 50s & 60s so are in acclimation mode. I am sitting here in a fleece light jacket and fingers so cold I am thinking of digging out my silk glove liners (my cold old house is great for the summer but...) since we layer rather than turn up the thermostat for huge gas bills. (BTW I did turn it up to 68 this morning for breakfast)
We have guests from Alabama - near the Florida border Alabama!! He has gone out on the porch to have a cigarette several times, leaving the door cocked open. OK, he is afraid of being locked out while I am in the kitchen. BUT he just came down to go check the oil in his car. Opened the closed door, opened WIDE, went out in his T-shirt (no jacket) to check the oil, leaving the door WIDE open and then comes in and goes upstairs - levaing the door WIDE open!! (I am now in the Library, next to the door!! no chance for a lock out.) Last week our Louisiana friends were freezing in the low 70s!
Go figure! Alabama!!!

Hey Bama! We have Bama's here too!
I am hiding this in this thread. You all hear me complain that our UK guests have the biggest and most luggage of all. Main reason is they refuse to leave anything in their vehicles, and many times they rent convertables like mustangs etc. So here is my proof - I snapped this when the went BACK UP to get their other bags!
I am tall and these bags reach probably middriff on me. Large bags - the pic doesn't show that.
You may have to cut n paste this in a browser to view it. or cut n paste this one in: http://i38.tinypic.com/1z5hnb4.jpg
The funny thing is they always choose the smallest room. I think due to the nameo f the room. They could not get around with all these bags in there i guarantee it. AND YES they had them all peeled open as I walked past and saw.

I am hiding this in this thread. You all hear me complain that our UK guests have the biggest and most luggage of all. Main reason is they refuse to leave anything in their vehicles, and many times they rent convertables like mustangs etc. So here is my proof - I snapped this when the went BACK UP to get their other bags!
I am tall and these bags reach probably middriff on me. Large bags - the pic doesn't show that.
You may have to cut n paste this in a browser to view it. or cut n paste this one in: http://i38.tinypic.com/1z5hnb4.jpg
The funny thing is they always choose the smallest room. I think due to the nameo f the room. They could not get around with all these bags in there i guarantee it. AND YES they had them all peeled open as I walked past and saw..
Ours came up for the Auburn game last night. They came in Wednesday. Go home tomorrow. Really nice people. (Sister-in-law had changed jobs and that was the reason for the cancel - not shift change)
It was really nice to hear them tell me this morning that at the game last night, people saw their Auburn stuff and said "Welcome to West Virginia. Hope you enjoy your visit." (of course that did not include winning of the game!) WVU won.

The funny thing is they always choose the smallest room. I think due to the nameo f the room. They could not get around with all these bags in there i guarantee it. AND YES they had them all peeled open as I walked past and saw..
Ours came up for the Auburn game last night. They came in Wednesday. Go home tomorrow. Really nice people. (Sister-in-law had changed jobs and that was the reason for the cancel - not shift change)
It was really nice to hear them tell me this morning that at the game last night, people saw their Auburn stuff and said "Welcome to West Virginia. Hope you enjoy your visit." (of course that did not include winning of the game!) WVU won.
gillumhouse said:
This man walked in and said WHERE IS THE TV! I asked him a bit later, Oh your watching the world series. NO, AUBURN! ha ha BIGGER THAN THE WORLD SERIES is Auburn playing WVU.

Auburn is 45 minutes from us...huge rivalry with Alabama. Auburn fans are very dedicated! 'Bama fans, too.
It is about the same temp here as up by you with rain here though. We just had folks here from Michigan - they had the A/C on!!!!!

Auburn is 45 minutes from us...huge rivalry with Alabama. Auburn fans are very dedicated! 'Bama fans, too.
It is about the same temp here as up by you with rain here though. We just had folks here from Michigan - they had the A/C on!!!!!
They left this morning - door WIDE OPEN!! They had a 6am breakfast. I am about to go back to bed!
Rained all night here and still is. We need it.
Football fans are dedicated people, whichever the school. Ours (WVU) travel also. That is one reason they are sure to get a Bowl Game if they have a good season - the venue can count on good ticket sales from WVU.

They left this morning - door WIDE OPEN!! They had a 6am breakfast. I am about to go back to bed!
Football fans are dedicated people, whichever the school. Ours (WVU) travel also. That is one reason they are sure to get a Bowl Game if they have a good season - the venue can count on good ticket sales from WVU.
gillumhouse said:
Sorry if I already said this, but we have rain today so I have been saying this all morning - We had guests yesterday from Shropshire England and in August they had only TWO days with no rain. Crops were destroyed and towns washed out. We're still in a drought - so altho it may ruin their weekend, this rain will help prevent forest fires and save some dairy in these parts.
cheers.gif

gillumhouse said:
This is something I don't understand. WHO closes the door at home? I am at the point that should this start happening this winter (again) I'll say something like, 'We like to keep the heat in the house,' and then just close the door quietly while they stand there.

gillumhouse said:
This is something I don't understand. WHO closes the door at home? I am at the point that should this start happening this winter (again) I'll say something like, 'We like to keep the heat in the house,' and then just close the door quietly while they stand there.
I don't think anyone closes the door at their house. They live in Alabama - it is hot there. That is why I expect teeth chattering, miyyens and gloves... I was cold and here he was running around in a T-shirt - outside!!
We have a friend in town who got so used to the door being open (good storm door that is all window closed) that even now that he is dead, she keeps the door open. My storm door is almost as old as the house - it is just enough of a barrier to "help" in winter and keep the flies out in summer (rarely need A/C in summer as the house is cold on its own).

i don't know why folks leave the door open when it's obviously cold outside and the heat is on. so weird! i have had guests do this .. early check out and it is not quite 40 degrees ... hustle their stuff out to the car and then come in and leave the door open the whole time. then, up to their room, leaving the door open. brrrrrrr. i hurry to close it and then when they depart, they leave the door open again. i close it and go up to their room ... just as i suspected. thermostat cranked up to 78 and two windows wide open. naughty guests!

i don't know why folks leave the door open when it's obviously cold outside and the heat is on. so weird! i have had guests do this .. early check out and it is not quite 40 degrees ... hustle their stuff out to the car and then come in and leave the door open the whole time. then, up to their room, leaving the door open. brrrrrrr. i hurry to close it and then when they depart, they leave the door open again. i close it and go up to their room ... just as i suspected. thermostat cranked up to 78 and two windows wide open. naughty guests!.
They think we have automatic closers and we do - US!!

gillumhouse said:
I don't think anyone closes the door at their house. They live in Alabama - it is hot there. That is why I expect teeth chattering, miyyens and gloves... I was cold and here he was running around in a T-shirt - outside!!
We have a friend in town who got so used to the door being open (good storm door that is all window closed) that even now that he is dead, she keeps the door open. My storm door is almost as old as the house - it is just enough of a barrier to "help" in winter and keep the flies out in summer (rarely need A/C in summer as the house is cold on its own).
gillumhouse said:
In that case their house is un airconditioned and full of bugs.
wink_smile.gif

I will tell you what it is. It is HOTEL PEOPLE. NON B&B PEOPLE! YES I AM SHOUTING AS I HAVE A HOUSEFUL OF THEM THIS WEEKEND. POOP left in toilets, splattered all over toilet, pee all over toilet - this means on it beneath it behind it, wine glasses and drinks left on WOOD furniture, towels and robes all over wood furniture. One room has a very long very deep closet. Way in the back of one shelf - which i have in front of it 3 spare pillows, 3 spare blankets, two folding chairs...is a quilt set with shams - empty shams. So I make this bed in this room that had 5 lights left on - and beneath a pillow on the bed are the SHAMS, empty shams from the spare clean set.
WHY?
WHO THE HECK KNOWS.
What else can I add? Oh plenty but I will be done ranting here, my face is hot and red and it is days like this that you want to THROW IN THE TOWEL permanently. Not to mention a 330am YES AM check in!!
"THERE WILL BE NO COOKIES LEFT OUT this AFTERNOON!"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
angry_smile.gif

I will tell you what it is. It is HOTEL PEOPLE. NON B&B PEOPLE! YES I AM SHOUTING AS I HAVE A HOUSEFUL OF THEM THIS WEEKEND. POOP left in toilets, splattered all over toilet, pee all over toilet - this means on it beneath it behind it, wine glasses and drinks left on WOOD furniture, towels and robes all over wood furniture. One room has a very long very deep closet. Way in the back of one shelf - which i have in front of it 3 spare pillows, 3 spare blankets, two folding chairs...is a quilt set with shams - empty shams. So I make this bed in this room that had 5 lights left on - and beneath a pillow on the bed are the SHAMS, empty shams from the spare clean set.
WHY?
WHO THE HECK KNOWS.
What else can I add? Oh plenty but I will be done ranting here, my face is hot and red and it is days like this that you want to THROW IN THE TOWEL permanently. Not to mention a 330am YES AM check in!!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
angry_smile.gif
OMG!!! Are they there using B & B Gift cards???? Good grief.

WHY?
WHO THE HECK KNOWS.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
angry_smile.gif
I am going to give you the only answer I can right now. The only one I need sometimes.
Poor Baby!!!

WHY?
WHO THE HECK KNOWS.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
angry_smile.gif
catlady said:
Thank you for opening this can of worms (really). I have a few comments on this to share.
Guests call the morning of check in (yesterday) and say they have a BandB.com GC. Well we no longer accept them due to innkeeper gouging/maltreatment. They leave this as a message. They already are receiving a discount for the local college, and it is a one night stay - they sneaked in before I could set my 2 night min this weekend. Anyway, she leaves the message and said her daughter heard she was coming here and zipped over to give her this GC.
Okay, so I decide since they didn't tell me at the time of reservation like they are told to do in the instructions, and because we are not participating, I ran their card for the one night deposit, like I say I am going to do on teh reservation policies.
I put their statement w/cc rcpt in their room.
This morning he interrupts me as I am giving directions - mid stream to other guests AND cooking breakfast, to shove this BandB.com GC BOOKLET in my face which still had the card attached and says "We want to use this, can you refund our cc and use this instead?!" I tell him, I am sorry but you must tell us at the time of booking so I CAN MAKE ARRANGEMENTS with BandB.com to be reimbursed, which is TRUE.
He goes back to tell the wife unhappily.
So then it hits me - these gift cards have NO EXPIRATION DATE so any gc that has been sold to date has this book of all participating INNS with it, and of course many are no longer participating. So by PRINTING THIS DANG BOOK which BandB.com sings its own praises as being so much better than the other directories due to the card with personal image and THE BOOK of participating inns.
So people can hold onto these things forever - Inns close, change hands, do not renew with BandB.com, do not participate. So every one of these non B&B people with this book and GC will be pulling something like this. It was a one nighter so they didn't fuss too much, but if it were longer, they would have, I assure you. Then I would be "forced" to take it and then tell them "Sorry but I am taking back the discount I gave you, since BandB.com takes a big cut of this." To which they would get even more irritated.

WHY?
WHO THE HECK KNOWS.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
angry_smile.gif
catlady said:
Thank you for opening this can of worms (really). I have a few comments on this to share.
Guests call the morning of check in (yesterday) and say they have a BandB.com GC. Well we no longer accept them due to innkeeper gouging/maltreatment. They leave this as a message. They already are receiving a discount for the local college, and it is a one night stay - they sneaked in before I could set my 2 night min this weekend. Anyway, she leaves the message and said her daughter heard she was coming here and zipped over to give her this GC.
Okay, so I decide since they didn't tell me at the time of reservation like they are told to do in the instructions, and because we are not participating, I ran their card for the one night deposit, like I say I am going to do on teh reservation policies.
I put their statement w/cc rcpt in their room.
This morning he interrupts me as I am giving directions - mid stream to other guests AND cooking breakfast, to shove this BandB.com GC BOOKLET in my face which still had the card attached and says "We want to use this, can you refund our cc and use this instead?!" I tell him, I am sorry but you must tell us at the time of booking so I CAN MAKE ARRANGEMENTS with BandB.com to be reimbursed, which is TRUE.
He goes back to tell the wife unhappily.
So then it hits me - these gift cards have NO EXPIRATION DATE so any gc that has been sold to date has this book of all participating INNS with it, and of course many are no longer participating. So by PRINTING THIS DANG BOOK which BandB.com sings its own praises as being so much better than the other directories due to the card with personal image and THE BOOK of participating inns.
So people can hold onto these things forever - Inns close, change hands, do not renew with BandB.com, do not participate. So every one of these non B&B people with this book and GC will be pulling something like this. It was a one nighter so they didn't fuss too much, but if it were longer, they would have, I assure you. Then I would be "forced" to take it and then tell them "Sorry but I am taking back the discount I gave you, since BandB.com takes a big cut of this." To which they would get even more irritated.
I looked at one of those directories this a.m. It doesn't say anywhere that I could see in the fine print (front pages) that you should mention the card at the time of booking. It also does not say that on the gift card. It does not say that on the initial sales page of the bandb.com website. It DOES say that, finally, on the gift card FAQs. Just FYI...

Back