Bots on the loose

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This is definitely a cry... we're (the forum) being 'attacked' by spam bots. They've created dozens of accounts this afternoon and will probably start posting anytime. (I've caught two already.)
If you see a spam post your options are:
Hit the link that says 'flag as offensive' and select whatever description fits, most likely 'link dropping';
Or,
If it truly spam, with no relationship to anything we might discuss, then hit 'mark as spam'. This option calculates the likelihood that other posts with the same words are also spam and blocks them.
(Some may recall the Laboutin spam attack selling knock off shoes a few years ago.)
This helps swirt as he is alerted to spam attacks when we start marking posts as spam or link dropping or offensive.
Saves him having to track down every post.
Thanks!

is there a way to block registrations from certain domains? jeez

Thanks Morticia,
I blocked a bunch more and did some improved pattern blocking. I also banned about 50 accounts that were generated with these bogus domains. It will hold until they come up with a new pattern.

Thanks Morticia,
I blocked a bunch more and did some improved pattern blocking. I also banned about 50 accounts that were generated with these bogus domains. It will hold until they come up with a new pattern..
At your service. :) If there's any way we can help, we're here.

With this being a rather small group, at least the folks who are active, how difficult would it be to have an approval process for new members? Would that eliminate those who join only to spam?

With this being a rather small group, at least the folks who are active, how difficult would it be to have an approval process for new members? Would that eliminate those who join only to spam?.
JimBoone said:
With this being a rather small group, at least the folks who are active, how difficult would it be to have an approval process for new members? Would that eliminate those who join only to spam?
If you mean something along the lines of 'we need more info about you first ' I think we talked about that the last time we got hit really hard by spammers and the only person who could conduct that research is the moderator of the site.
He doesn't have the time to do that. He used to be a slacker like the rest of us ;-) but now he has a real job.
It's definitely a thought. Maybe a stricter log on procedure? It seems the bots can do math if given long enough.

With this being a rather small group, at least the folks who are active, how difficult would it be to have an approval process for new members? Would that eliminate those who join only to spam?.
JimBoone said:
If you mean something along the lines of 'we need more info about you first ' I think we talked about that the last time we got hit really hard by spammers and the only person who could conduct that research is the moderator of the site.
He doesn't have the time to do that. He used to be a slacker like the rest of us ;-) but now he has a real job.
It's definitely a thought. Maybe a stricter log on procedure? It seems the bots can do math if given long enough.
If I remember correctly joining was an automated process, suppose instead of an automatic process completing a request to join sent an automated email to one or more of the long time members who had been given our leaders permission to approve those new members and complete the process.
Now it wouldn't tell you I (anyone) was a nice person, but seems it could eliminate an automated bot. Perhaps a website of that persons business or a brief statement of why they wanted to join.
When I joined, my initial attempt failed. Having read many posts on the forum I was able to search and come up with the email for Gillum House and wrote to ask for help in joining and explained who I was and my interest in becoming a member.

JimBoone said:
If I remember correctly joining was an automated process, suppose instead of an automatic process completing a request to join sent an automated email to one or more of the long time members who had been given our leaders permission to approve those new members and complete the process.
Now it wouldn't tell you I (anyone) was a nice person, but seems it could eliminate an automated bot. Perhaps a website of that persons business or a brief statement of why they wanted to join.
When I joined, my initial attempt failed. Having read many posts on the forum I was able to search and come up with the email for Gillum House and wrote to ask for help in joining and explained who I was and my interest in becoming a member.
I do know other groups require you already have a B&B before you can join. Or there is a membership fee.
We started off, a million years ago it seems, as a breakaway from another online group that was also completely open.
If I remember right, that moderator at the other site let the spam get out of hand and there was no real 'moderation'.
We can certainly discuss options but I think the level you're talking about is a lot of extra programming, plus work, for the folks selected to vet the applicants.
What do others think?

JimBoone said:
I do know other groups require you already have a B&B before you can join. Or there is a membership fee.
We started off, a million years ago it seems, as a breakaway from another online group that was also completely open.
If I remember right, that moderator at the other site let the spam get out of hand and there was no real 'moderation'.
We can certainly discuss options but I think the level you're talking about is a lot of extra programming, plus work, for the folks selected to vet the applicants.
What do others think?
In this site its Swirt and his three watchdogs. The watchdogs sniff out every post and then they set up a barking fit when they find a problem. They even splash through the water as they chase the offender down. Then Swirt comes along to finish it off. You have all been forewarned!

JimBoone said:
What do others think?
In this site its Swirt and his three watchdogs. The watchdogs sniff out every post and then they set up a barking fit when they find a problem. They even splash through the water as they chase the offender down. Then Swirt comes along to finish it off. You have all been forewarned!
Duff2014 said:
Ok, contest time - who are the three watchdogs? Cerberus? That's what comes to mind - the multi-headed dog!

JimBoone said:
What do others think?
Duff2014 said:
Ok, contest time - who are the three watchdogs? Cerberus? That's what comes to mind - the multi-headed dog!
They're all named Fluffy!
fluffy.JPG

JimBoone said:
What do others think?
Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
Ok, contest time - who are the three watchdogs?
Let sleeping dogs lie.

JimBoone said:
Thanks for the suggestion JimBoone. I think you are underestimating the amount of email you are suggesting get sent to people to process by hand. It would simply wear people out. Sometimes spotting the bot pattern is easy, sometimes it takes a bit of work to determine someone's legitimacy.
This site is not overrun by spam. Thanks to everyone's efforts, most threads are spam free.

Back