bottling my own sauce..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well, being 'snowed' in gives me all kinds of time to get to things that I haven't been doing! LIKE pursuing my dreams.... that being said...
I have a sauce that I make that I want to bottle and sell. Has anyone of you done that before?
Is it difficult to get started?
Did you go through a production and manufacturing company? if so, who did you use?
Any tips or suggestions or ideas??
Thanks!
PS.. All my guests love this stuff, they all ask to take it home or if I sell it and I have two restraunts that use it.

We hav emany "start-up" companies in WV that started in their kitchens and then rented commercial kitchen space to get their companies started. Several of them have really flourished! When we build our Community Center, we plan to have a commercial kitchen in it so we can rent it our to start-ups as one of the ways to make the building self-sustaining.

You probably ought to find out if there are any home bottling requirements in your area. Or even home production. I could do what you're saying if I used a commercial kitchen. But, not out of my inn kitchen for retail sale.

Yeah, I do have access to a commercial kitchen and could go that route... more work than I really wannna do. I would rather have someone else do the work of bottling and distributing...

Yeah, I do have access to a commercial kitchen and could go that route... more work than I really wannna do. I would rather have someone else do the work of bottling and distributing....
There are companies that do that too. I do not have any names but I know a couple with a jams & jellies business that have their products processed. They raise some of the fruit and buy the rest in-State to be listed as WV Agriculture.

Yeah, I do have access to a commercial kitchen and could go that route... more work than I really wannna do. I would rather have someone else do the work of bottling and distributing....
Check with your state dept of agriculture for commercial bottling and distribution laws / regulations.

Good for you! I say absolutely go for it. It could turn out to be great passive income for you if you have someone else do the bottling and distribution. You can sell it directly from your website.

Once you are "street legal" you might try starting out using your website, the local farm market, and specialty shops--get some feedback and go from there.

This is how small businesses get started - now all you have to do is get Oprah to try it! Or better yet, send it to some Innmates - they'll spread the word by serving it to guests!

WOW, Thanks so much for the encouragement everyone! I actually was contacted just today by a bottling company! I'm stoked! I can't wait to get this project started!
I think I am leaning towards having the bottling comp do it. they handle all the 'legal' stuff and all the lab testing, shelf stability etc... even will do the nutritution info on the lable. to help keep costs down, they don't distribute it that would be my job. But I think I can do that. We have great farmer markets here, we have a BIG "local product" following here and even the state is starting to help promote 'Locally Produced" products.
NOW if I can come up with the revenue to get it off the ground! YEAH!!!

WOW, Thanks so much for the encouragement everyone! I actually was contacted just today by a bottling company! I'm stoked! I can't wait to get this project started!
I think I am leaning towards having the bottling comp do it. they handle all the 'legal' stuff and all the lab testing, shelf stability etc... even will do the nutritution info on the lable. to help keep costs down, they don't distribute it that would be my job. But I think I can do that. We have great farmer markets here, we have a BIG "local product" following here and even the state is starting to help promote 'Locally Produced" products.
NOW if I can come up with the revenue to get it off the ground! YEAH!!!.
Can you tell us what kind of "sauce" it is? I am assuming it is something for breakfast.

Good luck. If you can run a B &B, you can be successful at this too. I have confidence in you.

Can you tell us what kind of "sauce" it is? I am assuming it is something for breakfast.
suellen222 said:
It's has a yogurt base that can be used on Vegitables/vegie salads, fresh fruit, fruit salads, and green salads. It's very flexible! I love it. I even had a guest tell me, if I poured it in a glass he'd drink it! He loved it!

Sounds exciting. If it is yogurt based, will it keep without refrigeration?? Local stuff is hot right now. Need any investors???

Sounds exciting. If it is yogurt based, will it keep without refrigeration?? Local stuff is hot right now. Need any investors???
catlady said:
right now it is going through lab tests to find out shelf life. We are testing both non refrigeration and refrigeration. The results are pointing towards refrigeration for both taste and quality. But it can be shipped in cooler containers.
Investers? I hadn't even thought of that. Thats an interesting prospect! What do you have in mind??? You can send me an email if you'd rather
thanks!.

Back